Looking for a 2-sided tank suggestion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking for a 2-sided tank suggestion

I'm looking to create my first planted tank - I haven't had any tanks in a couple of years, but my oldest is now 5 and wants fish. I have a location picked out in the house, on a bar top between the kitchen and dining areas.

I'm looking to get a small-ish tank that is designed to be viewed from both sides. I really like the Fluval V, but it's a little small. I realize this is the nano tank area, but I'm not looking for anything bigger than 10 gallons, so I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions!

From the living/dining area, there is a very clear view of the tank. From the kitchen, you are directly facing the tank at a little lower than eye level when standing at the sink, so I'm really looking for something that looks good from the kitchen side, so we're not staring at a filter hanging off the back of the tank or something like that.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

People can make all kinds of suggestions, but it boils down to the amount of space you have. i.e. height-width being the most important.

Here's some tanks that have cool features:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-12-Gall.../dp/B005X88XIK

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_U...AQNCNT-vi.html

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12477710

There's also a smaller sized tank several people here at TPT(club) have setup that is longer and still small(Can't remember the exact size though). Do a search for nano sized here if you have not already done so.

Personally I like making aquariums for this type of situation then the lighting and filtration can fit where I want it to.

Here's the other size I did not remember: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168088

Bakshi references are always cool!

Last edited by Imi Statue; 01-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
tekkguy
Planted Member

I really like the Fluval Edge, but I'm thinking of a betta, and that one really wouldn't work in an Edge tank. That biOrb is awesome, but well outside my price range. The other is similar to a lot of brands I've seen, but the back side is completely covered, so it wouldn't really be viewable from both sides.

A 12 gallon long tank might work, if I could figure out a way to "hide" the filter on one short end of it. I'll have to give that some thought.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Easiest way I've found to obscure equipment on a counter top tank is to put everything on the short end then find a nice bushy growing potted houseplant to slide in next to it. If you need access to the filter, just lift the pot out of the way. Plus, the plant makes a nice transition to visually soften the hard edges of the tank.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you're only going to have a beta, the Spec V would be fine. I'm currently cycling one of these and they are very sleek. I'm planning to have chili rasboras and cory hasbrosus in mine. I lucked out and got mine on a sale at PetSmart for $49.99.
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
tekkguy
Planted Member

I had considered a pot of water beside the tank with some lucky bamboo in it ... if done right, it would shield the filter well, look good with the tank, and could be refilled with water during water changes.

That actually might not be a bad idea.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
daylily
Algae Grower

I have the Spec V with a betta and it's working out great. Planted with wisteria, anubias, crypts.

The spec has the clearest water.

I know that bigger than 5 gallon would be easier - but this tank has been no problem at all since I started it beginning of October.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I really like the Fluval Edge, but I'm thinking of a betta, and that one really wouldn't work in an Edge tank. That biOrb is awesome, but well outside my price range. The other is similar to a lot of brands I've seen, but the back side is completely covered, so it wouldn't really be viewable from both sides.

A 12 gallon long tank might work, if I could figure out a way to "hide" the filter on one short end of it. I'll have to give that some thought.

With the 12 long you could simply put something that grows out of the water in the end with all the gear like say Pothos or other vine/climber then just have it grow along the tank(it can stick to the tank by itself) I use to have a 40 breeder with several starts of different plants that grew from the outside box filters on the back(gave starts to I don't know how many people of those plants). They kept the tank clean of most excess nutrients and I never had a problem with having to clean out the filter box but once a year or so.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Not sure how much you're willing to spend, but I've always wanted to try one of these tanks:

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s.../FI-MT9ER.html
dstevenson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I too suggest the Fluval Spec V. This 5G has three viewable sides and its almost entirely self contained, save for the power cords. At 5G, it's perfect for a betta and some smaller companions.

It costs roughly $100 but it is ready to go out of the box (everything but a heater - which depending on your ambient temperature you may not even need). Its stock LED will provide enough light for low-light plants (though just barely imo). I upgraded it to a Finnex Fugeray 16" which will certainly make your betta's colors pop (this was an additional $50 but not an absolutely necessary expense).

http://bit.ly/ZjNqNG
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
tekkguy
Planted Member

I think the Fluval Spec V is what I'm going to go for. I'm not really sure about the heater. I live in North Texas, and we keep the heat in the house at about 74-75 during the winter, and the A/C at about 74 in the summer - temperature inside the house is fairly steady. It's going in the same room as the fireplace, though, which has no glass doors and can sometimes get a little drafty, so I'll probably add a heater just to be sure.

I'll post some pictures once the tank and everything arrives and I start scaping.

Thanks for all the suggestions!