Best substrate that doesn't cause a chemistry flux? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
Smitty06
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I feel there is nothing else to really fill in, in that substrate sticky. What else do you want to be put into it.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I don't have a complete list going, I just feel like I have found a number of things that I thought would have been important to include in the pro/cons. Like I don't think any of them mention anything about the substrates causing Ph shifts, and some do.
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

No matter which substrate you want to use, getting a fishless cycle going before you move and including some of that substrate in the bucket is a good idea. I would also include some filter media, sponge, bio noodles or whatever.
Do not bother making the substrate layer too deep, the bacteria will not grow in the lower area, not enough oxygen.

When you set up the new tank put the rest of the substrate in first and use the cycled media from the fishless cycle on top. Again, the bacteria will not survive deep under the substrate. Depending on the size of the particles about 1/4" to 1/2" deep is about the max.

If you start with no source of bacteria the fishless cycle will take 3 weeks.
If you do a few water changes and add the mulm and dirty water to the bucket there is a small bacteria population in that, but not very much.
If you add some of the media from a cycled filter that is the best source of bacteria.

Read about the fishless cycle. To grow bacteria you need to feed them.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great advice. I was also thinking of putting a few pouches of panty hose or some other kind of nylon pouch with old gravel in the new setup for a week or 2. This way the bacteria is there but the gravel can be removed easily.
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote