Apistogramma Community Tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Apistogramma Community Tank?

So a few weeks ago I seen some pics of a triple red and fell in love with them.. So I decided to maybe make my newly aquired 40G breeder into a community tank particularly for schooling fish like neon tetras, red barbs and chili rasboras. I was looking a videos of tripple reds on youtube and seen a tank with nice plants, a triple red, a german ram and a bunch of tetras. I will be reading up on the apistos for a while before I commit to anything but would love this combo in a community tank. The closest ive had to these fish are a electric blue ram, or maybe jack dempsy, but I do remember it being the bully in the tank but it was a bare 10 gallon with no hidding places. So if anyone feels free to rain on my apisto parade feel free or maybe let me know if im on the right track with these fish in a community planted tank. ps, will be using my tap water at 7-7.5 ph, gh 5, kh 2, tds 200.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
ced281
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

One of my local aquarium shops keeps their apisto cacatuoides all packed together in what looks likes a 40g breeder. I think he has about 30+ in there and they are breeding prolifically. They all seem pretty happy together but I'm not around all the time to check on them. I do know that by typical calculations that tank is well overstocked and that there's a great deal of maintenance required to keep the water parameters up.

I have experience keeping smaller numbers and I would highly recommend against having more than 1 male in a community tank. You need at least 36" of length to keep more than 1 male in my opinion otherwise the smaller one will get constantly get harassed. It will also be harder to feed that smaller male and he will eventually just wither away. With 36" or more of length, there is a better chance they will establish their own territories (but you will still see the larger one chase around the smaller one).

From my experience, male apistos are generally aggressive towards each other (even more so in the presence of a female).
ced281 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice thanks. Ya im not planning on haviong more than a couple. From what i read up on its better to have 2-3 females per male to keep him from chasing the same one around.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I haven't had Apisto's although I would very much like to. When I had Kribs in my 46g only one male and one female did well (the largest pair). Despite all the extra space they constantly harrassed the others. They didn't even seem to notice the other fish though. Definately post pics when you get it set up!
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...des-tanks.html
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ahhh, conspecific aggression... A cichlid specialty.

I've been thinking about triple reds or Orange flashes and most of what I've read says 20*20" of floorspace per pair but they won't bother other non-apisto fish unless they're spawning, then all hell can break loose.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have two sets of Apistos in a community planted tank.

My first hand experience:

1. They are conspecific (mentioned earlier) aggressive with other Apistos. The two males I have flash each other flared fins and it ends at that - But I have a 36x18 tank with a few females to court.

2. Try one pair or a small harem 1 male, 2 females.

3. If you want more than one male - Provide loooots of plants/wood/stone to break sight lines. Take a look at my tank - there are 3 caves (wood and rock) and lots of broken sight lines.

4. Caves - they breed and love caves - Mine also like to bury themselves in Staurogyne repens bushes.

5. They are very interesting fish and leave my Coral reds, cardinals, otos, and corys alone.

6. Love blood worms, flakes, and pellets.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
ced281
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I forgot to add that you should be careful about having too many females in the same tank! The females are also pretty territorial and if you don't have enough space the dominant one will harass the other ones like none other. With a 40g breeder, having 1 male with 2-3 females should be plenty since each female needs at least 1 sq ft of space (better to have 18"x12" of space) to mark as territory (assuming you have sufficient plants/hardscape to break line of sight).
ced281 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced281 View Post
I forgot to add that you should be careful about having too many females in the same tank! The females are also pretty territorial and if you don't have enough space the dominant one will harass the other ones like none other. With a 40g breeder, having 1 male with 2-3 females should be plenty since each female needs at least 1 sq ft of space (better to have 18"x12" of space) to mark as territory (assuming you have sufficient plants/hardscape to break line of sight).

I second this advice
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, If you have shrimp, they will eat them.

I was wondering why my shrimp were dying and being eaten until I saw my Apisto male hunt an amano and tear it apart...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I have two sets of Apistos in a community planted tank.

My first hand experience:

1. They are conspecific (mentioned earlier) aggressive with other Apistos. The two males I have flash each other flared fins and it ends at that - But I have a 36x18 tank with a few females to court.

2. Try one pair or a small harem 1 male, 2 females.

3. If you want more than one male - Provide loooots of plants/wood/stone to break sight lines. Take a look at my tank - there are 3 caves (wood and rock) and lots of broken sight lines.

4. Caves - they breed and love caves - Mine also like to bury themselves in Staurogyne repens bushes.

5. They are very interesting fish and leave my Coral reds, cardinals, otos, and corys alone.

6. Love blood worms, flakes, and pellets.
Can you post a couple pics of your tank?
Member #13

Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Sure, just click on my signature (below) - It's my tank from start till today
V
V
V
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

The worst thing that will happen is you get hooked on them, which you probably will. If you can get them locally you are pretty lucky and I'd pick up a pair to start.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
This is my pair of macmasteri - I learned that they are mislabeled Viejita "Redneck" from the folks at Apistogramma.com.

You will be hooked because they are quite fun to watch - especially when they court.

Last edited by sundragon; 01-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Corrected the link
sundragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Absolutely stunning!
Member #13

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #15
Yamaz
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

http://apistogrammaidiots.com/David_.../articles.html
Yamaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.