The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #331
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Since I did the treatment, I've lost most of my Nerites. I think the only ones living are the ones that were not in the tank during the treatment. I find them all over the room.

My did melt but they are growing back now.

I put the shrimp back in after filling the tank and putting the Excel in. Yesterday, I cleaned one of the Fluval and found about 15 new born baby shrimp so the shrimp are doing great. I think they don't like the peroxide.

What is BBA?
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #332
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Has anyone done this on 5gal with baby guppies an BN pleco?
Or any variation like this?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #333
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would remove fry and the BN.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #334
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Default The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Has anyone done this on 5gal with baby guppies an BN pleco?
Or any variation like this?
I did one recently (within the past two months) on my 75 display tank and I have 3 albino BN plecos in there and they did fine. I also have not had any problems with my Ottos either. As for the fry, yea probably best to remove them first.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #335
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Unhappy Tragedy by my mistake

I just had a terrible tragedy occur... I've been struggling with some green thread algae and couldn't manage to get rid of it. This method sounded good as I read through it this morning before I was fully awake... I went to try it and remembered the dosage as 2 tbsp H2O2 per 1 gallon! I thought that sounded like a lot so I cut it in half again, still 4 times the regular dose. Needless to say I've lost a lot of fish this morning...

I think by the end of the day I will have lost all of my rummynose and cardinal tetra along with one otto. I hope that's all I lose, time will tell how the plants fair.

I really am about on the verge of tears here, my heart sank when I realized my mistake.

I have since done a 75 % water change, filled it up again, then another 25 % change. Keeping my fingers crossed that I've corrected everything...

Read things carefully everyone, or you'll end up heartbroken as you scoop fish after fish out of your tank...
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #336
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm so sorry. It's awful when you realize you make a mistake like that. All you can do is learn from it and move forward.
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #337
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Sorry to hear that about your fish. It is always best to keep your eye on your aquarium for the entire time you are doing this process, any deadly signs of stress in your fish and you should immediately stop the treatment and do a water change. Probably what happened is the amount of H2O2 washed the slime coat off the fish and burned their gills. When attempting anything for the first time the carpentry rule of thumb stands strong "measure twice, cut once".
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #338
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I can sympathize. I did almost the same thing. Massive water changes is the only thing that will save them.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #339
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

It really was bad. I lost my sterbai corys by this morning... The only things left are the african dwarf frog and the gourami (I think... she was alive this morning but not moving much). 33 fish total lost.

It was worse cause I walked away to do the dishes. Set a timer for 15 minutes. If I'd been checking on it throughout the process I would have noticed quickly the stress it was putting on the fish.

Agreed with aquarist though, double check the numbers. And Kntry, lesson learned, all I can do now is move on.

I forgot to mention too, after the water change I added the full dose of Seachem Stress Guard, so maybe that helped save the two animals that remain?

So far all the plants seem fine, even the java moss and dwarf baby tears are thus far undamaged. ::knock on wood::
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #340
Strategy
Algae Grower

Wow, great write up!!
Strategy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #341
hiatus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did the Full Strength One-Two-Punch on my 75 today. 9 Young Adult Angels, 1 Brochis and 4 Nerites all happy and healthy so far. 8 hours latter the BBA I've been battling for a couple of months is starting to turn red.

Pulled the filter media out of the AquaClear 500 but left an air operated sponge filter in because it had BBA on the riser tube.

I added a little over 1.5 Cups of H2O2, Stirred the tank like a Jacuzzi for 15 min, 50% water change (about 45 min) and followed up with 7 capfuls of Excel.

Things are a little cloudy right now but I think it went well.
hiatus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #342
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

UV or daphnia both work great on green water. granted you may have to keep the daphnia confined to a breeder box for their own protection, but they will eat and breed till they clear the tank. Simple, and no risk of killing your fish. Seed shrimp and nerites clear walls, if you have no plants at all and want to clear all surfaces I have heard cana snails work good if you can find them (illegal to ship I am told)
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #343
Fishinfreak
Algae Grower

I'm considering trying this on my tank, and just have a few questions. My current fish are threadfin rainbows and dwarf emerald rasboras. I'm pretty sure they are both somewhat hardy, but just want to make sure they will survive the treatment. Also, will crypts melt from this treatment?
Fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #344
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have to call this thread out as BS. Some of you have killed some of your fish. Others have killed all of your fish. While that wasn't the intent, it sure did have these unintended consequences. It's much better to learn why certain types of algae occur and the specific ways to combat them than to find novel ways to nuke the tank.

As a rule, too much light, not enough CO2, and plants suffering nutrient deficiencies will all lead to algae. Thus, the easiest way to limit or prevent it is to reduce light, add sufficient CO2, and fertilize. Keep the same setup and the algae will simply return since the cause(s) were never addressed.

Worst thread ever!
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #345
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
I have to call this thread out as BS. Some of you have killed some of your fish. Others have killed all of your fish. While that wasn't the intent, it sure did have these unintended consequences. It's much better to learn why certain types of algae occur and the specific ways to combat them than to find novel ways to nuke the tank.

As a rule, too much light, not enough CO2, and plants suffering nutrient deficiencies will all lead to algae. Thus, the easiest way to limit or prevent it is to reduce light, add sufficient CO2, and fertilize. Keep the same setup and the algae will simply return since the cause(s) were never addressed.

Worst thread ever!
I believe the dangers are adequately addressed. Those with particularly sensitive species are well-advised to temporarily remove them for the duration of the treatment, otherwise, the risks are well-outlined, and anyone who proceeds does so at their own risk. When I did it, I certainly paid attention and pulled out my otos, shrimp and snails first, because it's abundantly clear in the thread that I should.

As for people who kills their fish by NOT following the directions correctly, well, that could happen to anyone, at anytime, doing completely normal things with their tank, couldn't it? That's hardly a fault in the procedure.

Ultimately, of course, you are correct that the best way is to solve the root problem. Of course, the thread makes that clear as well. This procedure can give a good start to solving an existing issue, while the underlying concerns are worked out, however, saving an otherwise good tank from a full teardown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.