gsa in king running tank. why? peroxide or no?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
jbjack777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

gsa in king running tank. why? peroxide or no?

This tank has been running for a year and been great. It's low tech and I use osmocote plus root tabs. Has a few white clouds and a few cpo crays. Never had this algae. It appeared out of the blue last week. I had some bba a while back and used a bit of peroxide which worked good. Will this her safe with the crays (I only had fish last time) and will it be effective on the gsa? What else should I do? Why the sudden out break with no change in tank or it's regime. Obviously the addition of a few cpos didn't do it. oh and it's just on the crypts, no other plants, glass affected. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150227_074104_1425045026089.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	437289  

jbjack777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjack777 View Post
This tank has been running for a year and been great. It's low tech and I use osmocote plus root tabs. Has a few white clouds and a few cpo crays. Never had this algae. It appeared out of the blue last week. I had some bba a while back and used a bit of peroxide which worked good. Will this her safe with the crays (I only had fish last time) and will it be effective on the gsa? What else should I do? Why the sudden out break with no change in tank or it's regime. Obviously the addition of a few cpos didn't do it. oh and it's just on the crypts, no other plants, glass affected. Thanks.
Hi jbjack777,

Unfortunately I have not seen hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) have any effect whatsoever on GSA. I have read that increasing phosphate dosing reduces GSA. It is also possibly lighting related, if you have fluorescent lighting have you changed your bulb lately....it might be getting old and the spectrum is changing.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-27-2015 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: ..
Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
Arv
Planted Member

change water more often and dose some phosphate. This has worked for me.
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

When you zapped the BBA that left an opening for another algae and GSA moved in. Been there, done that.

We don't think we havve changed anything but things have changed as this is a living system. More plant mass, lighting is dimmed somewhat, Osmocote tabs are at a different stage in dissolving, fish were introduced, organics built up in the substrate/filter and so on. Your water source may have even changed for the season, perhaps GH/KH is a bit different, perhaps the sterilizing agent has changed in type or concentration.

I don't think either H2O2 or Excel will touch GSA. Some phosphate added with snails/otos to graze on the softened up GSA might do it. Looks like it is on older leaves, you might remove the worst of the old leaves to see what is what. Perhaps just taking the affected leaves off would work.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
fish jihad
Planted Member

I have read gsa gets on slow growing plants when there is an excess amount of ferts. So try what Arv said and do a water change. Speaking of which, how much and how often do you water change? And what is your dosing schedule.
fish jihad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
Solcielo lawrencia
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

You may not be able to get it off plants once it's attached, even after increasing PO4. WC's don't seem to do anything. It will disappear from glass, however, as long as levels are maintained high enough.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I can measure the amount of difference in the GSA on my glass in days/weeks it takes to get thick enough to scrape and on my plants in how they grow according to how much accumilates on the leaves of Java Fern specifically and Anubias Petite, both of which are in there.
Too high or too long of an amount of light is THE reason for it.
I have used Peroxide in the tank to get rid of other algae while the GSA goes un- touched.
It took two T8 bulbs in a 10g tank for me to get this. On the rock. (yes on purpose)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=62570
The nana Petite is in this picture also but it's not very clear that it has GSA on it.
The Java Fern in there almost died because of the GSA. I took out one bulb and now it's doing fine as is the nana Petite. A little of the GSA has fallen off a couple of the leaves of the Petite also but not much.
I think that mostly your older leaves have this and unless you cut whichever, the long hrs or how high the light is you will forever get it on the older leaves of the Java Fern.
But IF it's only on the older leaves you are close to being low enough.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
jbjack777
Algae Grower

I decided to manually remove all the affected plants. I'm going to replace the lights, they are the original from a year ago. Maybe I'll even lower the wattage on the new ones, or would that be a bad idea seeing it's been at those watts for a year? Also would a black out be beneficial in this case?
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

What size tank do you have and what details can you list about your light ?
Actually a picture of the whole tank gives a better idea of the problem also.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
DevilDogDoc
Algae Grower

Since I started dosing my tank with pps pro with a little extra phosphate I have noticed 2 things. First I have less gsa, and also what does grow is easily wiped off the glass with my algae sponge. Before I had to scrape it to get it off.
DevilDogDoc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
jbjack777
Algae Grower

30 gallon planted. Crypts, java fern, moneywort. Fluval 305, a wave maker, one piece of drift wood. 3 a cfl's 23w each, 6500k deep sand substrate, osmicote plus root tabs. I add a few every few months. 7 white clouds mountain minnows, 4 dwarf Mexican crayfish, one million trumpet snails. I would like to add about 8 more mountain minnows, and 3 more dwarf crays. This is a picture after I pruned the leaves. It isn't really affecting the glass. Nitrates constantly below 10ppm. And of course nitrite and ammonia airways at 0ppm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150301_131813_1425237953671.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	438569  

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #12
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

If it's not on the glass then your on the edge of the light being a bit high, not any
big amount over what is needed. The lack of faster growing plants may contribute to the algae being there but just the older leaves getting it says they just stay in the light for that long. The younger leaves not having had enough time to get it.
A plant like a Water Sprite in each back corner will give you some faster growing plants.
Hides the equipment also. Will need to be trimmed occasionally. Not the "Oak Leaf" type
as they grow a lot better if floated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.