Algae on substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Mattster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Algae on substrate

Hey guys! So I recently got all my equipment to start a new tank. I did a dry start on my dwarf hair grass for about 2 weeks just until my GLA Atomic V2 regulator came in. Ever since I started adding CO2, there has been algae growing on my substrate. I looked up and I think it may be BGA, but I'm not entirely sure. It's taking over the portion of the tank that I have with just hair grass and doesn't seem to have much on the other side. I plan to add more hair grass in a few days but want to know what's going on with the BGA and how to get rid of it before hand.

Tank: Fluval Spec V
Lighting: 20" Finnex Planted+ 8 hours a day
CO2: GLA Atomic V2 @ 1-1.5bps
Ferts: Flourish Excel @ roughly .5ml daily
Flora: Dwarf Hair grass and temporary Amazon Sword
pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove this annoyance? Would cutting back the light kill it off? I just don't want to stunt the growth of the DHG since this is the first time it's actually working with me.

Mattster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
Mattster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So I tried to spot treat the algae with some H2O2 and had immediate bubbles! I waited about a day and my water turned slightly cloudy. I just did a water change and hoping it would fix the issue. Still not completely gone, so I'll just give it a few more days and see what happens. I'm still not sure what the source of the problem is though, could it be that I have too much light?
Mattster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Default Algae on substrate

I would try and reduce your photo period before thinking about your lighting being to intense. Try 6 hours a day and go from their. If it doesn't change in a week then go back to your normal light schedule because if it didn't work then that wasn't the source and you don't want to change to many things at once. You could also instead try and just do more frequent water changes because your tank isn't really filled with plants and I'm sure that the substrate and giving off to much nutrients for the plants and their for making the algae jump on the free food. Also I would look into it possibly being bga. I'm on my phone so I can't really see it well, but if it is in fact bga then that's an easy fix and I'm sure you can find a thread on treating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
treyLcham is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.