filamentous diatoms
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

filamentous diatoms

So I think I have filamentous diatoms in my new 40B, its been set up for little over a month now. I've used the old filters from my previous tank on this new one.

I've been reading post about this algae/diatom from this link
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=143401

The link seems about a couple years old and never really gives a cure or a way to get rid of it.
Here some specs on the tank,
40B
lights 36 inch BML dutch XB, and a 10k XB. Lights are 17 inches from substrate, the dutch is set at 45% and the 10k is set to 40%. Lights on from 2:00pm till 8:20pm with a 15 minute dawn and 20 minute sunset via solunar controller.
ferts are dosed closed to EI method prolly little less then Full EI.

50% water changes weekly.
Co2 is yellow/green drop checker 1.5hrs before lights are on and about 1/2 before lights off.

The algae seems the same as the picture in the link mostly on the
substrate/fore-grown plants but it seems to be getting worse.

I've been removing as much of the algae each day with toothbrush, I'm just afraid its going to choke out my plants, recently added monte Carlo and its getting pretty covered.[
Any suggestions?
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Diatoms in a new tank are the norm. I've been reading quite a lot on the subject the last few days researching a post I intend on writing here soon. The short version is the diatom bloom has to run its course, until the disolved silica in the tank drop to a silica nutriant defecent level, thus leaving them the inability to reproduce.

Small water changes after knocking as much loose as you can until the silica levels are depleated suficantly seem to be the answer, and that takes time. How much time depends on how much desolved silica is present in the water source.

Seeming to get worse is actually a good thing as diatoms live a "bloom and bust" cycle. Getting worse means your reaching the top of the bloom cycle, next comes the bust.
FatherLandDescendant is offline   Reply With Quote