(56k)Winning bga battle / New algae declares war
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Sevamortner
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

(56k)Winning bga battle / New algae declares war

So I am finally winning the battle against my BGA, which was getting kinda bad and killing off my DGH. I have been spot treating h202 and manually removing with a cut back on the lighting. I don't have a before shot but here is a current picture

Now I have I think 2 more invaders and I was hoping for an identification as well as reasons for their appearance

Tank dimensions: Finnex 20g M tank
21" L x 10.5" W (this does not include the aio filtration area) x 16" Tall

Finnex fuge ray planted + 20"

Diy c02

+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Sevamortner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Ben125
Algae Grower

Whats up with that soil? Is it supposed to look like that?
Ben125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
karla

Staghorn or BBA, possibly, indicates poor or fluctating levels of co2 possibly combined with high lighting, BGA can be alleviated by increasing your NO3, The worst effected leaves could be removed, try doing some partial waterchanges before each lights on period when possible to increase co2 levels. Try upping the NO3 increase flow to the effected area if possible and during the weekly waterchange concentrate on cleanliness, you have already decreased the lighting a bit changes happen slowly so what you do this week wont show for a while.
Good luck.
karla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Okedokey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, fluctuating CO2. You don't have anything massively fast growing in there. Try glut for a while.
4ft CADE Planted Tank| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABS’ Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs
2ft CADE NT River Biotype | Eheim 2217 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.
3ft Cichlid Tank | Eheim 2213, 2215 | Chiller | 4 x T5HO
Okedokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Sevamortner
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
Staghorn or BBA, possibly, indicates poor or fluctating levels of co2 possibly combined with high lighting, BGA can be alleviated by increasing your NO3, The worst effected leaves could be removed, try doing some partial waterchanges before each lights on period when possible to increase co2 levels. Try upping the NO3 increase flow to the effected area if possible and during the weekly waterchange concentrate on cleanliness, you have already decreased the lighting a bit changes happen slowly so what you do this week wont show for a while.
Good luck.
I let a small portion sitting on a rock go for a few days so i could see it clearly, it is Staghorn. I guess I had planned to go pressurized anyway. I have just been manually removing the Staghorn with my fingers once it is big enough to get my fingers on. I have upped my n03 dose for the last 2 weeks and it has been in the 60 - 80 ppm range (I can't tell the colors apart on my api test kit for crap) the bga still will not completely go away. I get little pockets like you can see in the first picture, I pull them out manually, daily and 2 days a week i hit each "patch" I cannot get with a tooth brush or my fingers with like half a cc of h202 and then remove it. I put in a small powerhead and jacked my filter pump up to roughly 250- 300 gph combined, I can tell the cardinals aren't digging the currents but they found a nice area behind the tree they can rest in at night and don't seem particularly stressed. I still felt bad and started shutting off the powerhead at night after the first week. thanks for the tips, any more advice would be much appreciated.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
Yes, fluctuating CO2. You don't have anything massively fast growing in there. Try glut for a while.
I actually have a bunch of small java fern hiding everywhere you can't see. Glut is... excel? Do you mean I should supplement with it or use it in place of diy bottles until I purchase a pressurized system?

Last edited by Sevamortner; 03-23-2015 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: fix
Sevamortner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #6
Sevamortner
Algae Grower

Tossed my journal in my sig, has a pretty current picture of the whole tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben125 View Post
Whats up with that soil? Is it supposed to look like that?
I noticed that. I assumed it was bleaching from the light?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevamortner View Post
Glut is... excel? Do you mean I should supplement with it or use it in place of diy bottles until I purchase a pressurized system?
Glutaraldehyde, what's in Excel, API CO2 Booster, Metricide, etc. It's not as good as real co2, but it's better than nothing....plus it is an effective algaecide against several types.

I believe what Okey was saying is start using that instead of the DIY. I tend to agree. Either need to get your diy co2 delivering a steady, consistent rate, day in and day out....or ditch it entirely. Fluctuating co2 levels will give you more problems than benefits every time. You dont necessarily need a lot of CO2, but keeping it consistent is absolutely critical.
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.