Help - 30g planted algae attack
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Oghorille
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help - 30g planted algae attack

I have had my 30g planted set up for about 6 weeks now and had crystal clear water, healthy plants, and nothing to worry about. I started dosing co2 as well as upped the lighting, and even increased ferts to try and have all 3 factors in balance, and yet now I am getting a brown algae outbreak everywhere, as well as some hair algae which I think may be killed already by my co2 booster that I add daily.

Can someone tell me if this is just normal for a tank this age, and if I will eventually see the plants and tank become more "comfortable" for lack of a better word.

I'd be happy to post pics/specifics if anyone is interested.

PS side note, my Ludwgia red is dying in there and I have no idea why. I believe I have about 60 par light 16" from the substrate, root tabs + liquid and pressurized co2 + trace + iron supplements added.
Oghorille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Pictures might help. What ferts ? Root tabs have no Mocros. "Ferts" consist of Micros & Macros. You only have the Micros. That is likely most of your problem. Plants that don't
get both slowly begin to slow down their growth till it stops and they die.
Water changes, fish food/waste all contribute, but lack Potassium in any sufficient
amount. The simplest way would be to get Osmocote+ capsules from someone and use them. I also would open one and drop 6 beads of it on the bottom.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=898001
Do not use more than directed of these. If the tank is 12" front to back then use a single row 6" from one end every 6" across to 6" from the other end.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (182/100%)

It's normal for new tanks to go through a brown algae/diatom phase. It can get a bit ugly, but after a few weeks it disappears.

Like R suggested, you should look into macros - NPK. I would try to get dry fertilizer powders, KNO3, K2SO4, and KH2PO4. You can get them relatively inexpensively, and it will give you more flexibility and precision compared to using some pre-mix or terrestrial fertilizer.

Checking out your water report, and/or doing some basic N and P testing also helps to establish base lines and understand the dynamics.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
mattinmd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oghorille View Post
I have had my 30g planted set up for about 6 weeks now and had crystal clear water, uphealthy plants, and nothing to worry about.
Quote:
now I am getting a brown algae outbreak everywhere, as well as some hair algae which I think may be killed already by my co2 booster that I add daily.
Well the brown algae is probably diatoms... new tank syndrome.. it goes away on its own eventually, scraping it and sucking it out of the tank speeds this somewhat. They're dependent on the excess silicates that are present in new tanks.. As you suck out the dead diatoms, the overall silicate level drops and eventually they become nutrient limited due to lack of silicate (which plants and fish do not need).

Quote:
PS side note, my Ludwgia red is dying in there and I have no idea why. I believe I have about 60 par light 16" from the substrate, root tabs + liquid and pressurized co2 + trace + iron supplements added.
How much NPK are you dosing? What parts of the plant are affected, and how are they dying off?
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.