White smelly film issues
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
DavisAlanen

PTrader: (0/0%)

White smelly film issues

Hey guys, recently transferred the betta, assassin snail and water from my 5gal spec into an airated bucket. I scooped maybe half the substrate out and put in some new fluval stratum kept a bit of water in the overflow column with the media the entire time. Put in a new custom small bag of purigen, some new filter floss ontop of all the old stuff, and put probably 30-40 percent new water. Turned off the lights and went to bed.
Came home from work the next day and a strange film and odor had appeared in my tank. I have never smelt new tank syndrome, and don't know if that's what's occurring. At first I thought my yeast DIY system had somehow spilled into the tank. But the tubing looked clear and the check valves fine. It smelled almost like fermented yeast though.

Scooped a bunch off, and replaced 20% with another mature tanks water. Within a day again it had gotten even worse . A goopy film on my water surface and an almost sulphurous sickly sweet smell. Snail and betta are. Acting happy
Any ideas? I will put ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels on once I test

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	332409  

DavisAlanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement