Reseal a 20L
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
TonyK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reseal a 20L

First off sorry if this is in the wrong category. I have a 20L and looks like I might need to reseal the silcone bead on the tank. I read on another forum that they used GE Silcone 1 for windows and doors. Has anyone here resealed their tank? If so what did you use?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You can use GE Silicone I, but you can't just put new silicone over the leak, you have to take the silicone off fully where you want to reseal, and by fully, like fully, razor blade cleaned clean. If you're never done it, buy another tank and sell yours on craiglist for a few bucks for a reptile tank and get the money back. It takes a skill to learn to seal tanks and most people who do it, end up with a wet floor, dead livestock and a not so happy partner.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
TonyK
Planted Member

Thanks,

I am going to give it a try. You can't really learn anything if you don't try.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Water test in a garage or basement for a few weeks first, google how to do it, watch some youtube videos, etc to get an idea of the best ways to do it. Not saying it can't be done, just too many people think slapping some old silicone on top of the old will fix it, when really you have to take out at least 1 pane of glass on the leaking side, clean at least the 3 edges it comes in contact with, 4 if it's the bottom, and then reseal all those. 1 nice slow continous bead all the way along. Using masking tape to keep your silicone not too messy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
TonyK
Planted Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I did a leak test and its not leaking. I had derimmed the tank and was nervous I might have gouged the bead. I doesn't need to be resealed.