Bulb Opinions.. GLO- LIFE GLO vs GIESEMANN MIDDAY
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
switch26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bulb Opinions.. GLO- LIFE GLO vs GIESEMANN MIDDAY

I was curious what people thought of the comparison between these two bulbs..

Reason being is i bought a 6700 Life Glo bulb from my LFS, and it isn't growing certain plants like glossy like I want.. and i have a feeling it is the bulb that isn't intense enough for it.. ill post a pic of the spectrum soon as i can't find one on the net yet.. unless someone else can.

I want my glossy to carpet and it just slowly grows tall..

Im running Co2, liquid ferts, and i have T5HO high lighting Aquatic life fixture...

Everything else is growing pretty well.. just my glossy won't carpet want some advice from people who may have experience with Midday Giesemann bulbs
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

What other plants are in the tank.. are they having a bit of an allelopathic war?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
switch26
Algae Grower

rotala indica, Wallichi, Macrandra, Bacopa australis. Dwarf baby tears, Alternatha reineckii, 1 ludwigia ovalis that died off, and is coming back strong now. Poor shipment of the wrong plant left me with it. Also have blyx japonica which is for some reason not growing very fast at all, or has little growth for the several months i have had it.

Also some xmas moss, and willow moss, but it isn't a ton of it yet. Letting it grow in

The image is of the 6700 bulb i have in my tank.. Im assuming even tho it spikes, that isn't the best? I figured a giesemann midday would give me more strength and less blue's.. Im not concerned about the look so much as i want my plants to thrive and grow properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	59926  

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Smitty06
Planted Member

Can you take a picture of the chart that isn't as blurry? A graph with no increments in useless. From the looks of it though, it seems like it is lacking in the red spectrum.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
niko
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

Read this thread:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-bulb-may.html

Basically no single light bulb is the best for both plants and the human eye. But it you really don't have to provide the perfect spectrum for the plants. In the old days we grew plants with incandescent bulbs which had never heard of the phrase "blue part of the spectrum".

I personally love the color of the Giesemann Midday bulbs. They do grow plants very, very well. I was pretty shocked to learn that the spectrum is pretty far from what is best for the plants.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
jonathan
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Read this thread:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-bulb-may.html

Basically no single light bulb is the best for both plants and the human eye. But it you really don't have to provide the perfect spectrum for the plants. In the old days we grew plants with incandescent bulbs which had never heard of the phrase "blue part of the spectrum".

I personally love the color of the Giesemann Midday bulbs. They do grow plants very, very well. I was pretty shocked to learn that the spectrum is pretty far from what is best for the plants.
Fascinating thread.

Niko, if you get The Fiji Purple and balance the light with green so its viewable, is that slot you used up for balance worth it ? In the example case of a 2 bulb fixture vs 4 bulb etc ?
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
switch26
Algae Grower

Here i edited the image, phone took crappy pic of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	60158  

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
niko
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
Fascinating thread.

Niko, if you get The Fiji Purple and balance the light with green so its viewable, is that slot you used up for balance worth it ? In the example case of a 2 bulb fixture vs 4 bulb etc ?
If I understand you correctly you are asking if adding green light to please the human eye is also useful in some way to the plants.

If this is so then I think that the "middle" part of the spectrum (the one that makes the color of the light pleasing to the eye) is not completely useless for the plants. Look at all these graphs for the wavelengths that are best for photosyntesis. They all differ a little from each other. But what is pretty obvious is that between the high blue and red spikes there is also some activity. Meaning that the green light will actually be beneficial to some degree.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....1.2V8nU0CiQGU
Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
switch26
Algae Grower

It is interesting if plants use reds so much, wouldn't a Corallife Colormax bulb be the best? Yet ive heard people say the colormax's don't bring as much growth as a giesseman midday?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
niko
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch26 View Post
It is interesting if plants use reds so much, wouldn't a Corallife Colormax bulb be the best? Yet ive heard people say the colormax's don't bring as much growth as a giesseman midday?
I don't exactly know. I am learning about these things as we speak.
But here's a guess - the photosynthesis is best if the blue is more than the red:

And look at the Colormax bulb spectrum:

Now look at the Giesmann Midday spectrum:

What I see is that the Colormax has much more reds and the Midday doesn't really have reds. The Midday looks like a Colormax minus the reds! Nice. And strange.

So my take on this is pretty simple. The Midday is a T5HO (an 24" bulb is 24 watts). The Colormax is 17 watts for a 24" length. S there is a difference in the intensity. In addition the T5HO are commonly used with individual reflectors. They increase GREATLY the intensity of the light hitting the bottom. So comparing Colorormax which seems to have a fuller spectrum that the Midday may be a question of comparing intensities too.

I wrote the above because recently I got a 30W LED Flood light, 10,000K, with a single EpiStar LED. The LED light color is too white. I use it in conjunction with a 24W Giesemann Midday. Got shocking pearling minutes after turning the LED on. What is interesting is that leaving only the LED leads to reduction of the pearling by about 25-30%. Leaving only the Midday on stops all pearling. It seems that the two lights somehow complement each other and the LED provides the intensity, while the Giesemann provides a better spectrum. Now note that in my LED+Midday setup there aren't many reds. I wonder what would happen if I add reds.

Look at post #16 in this thread for pictures, day by day, with the LED+Midday:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...d-light-2.html

Today, on day 10 of running the LED+Midday and the plants are now making pale leaves because I do not fertilize the water yet. But they still pearl. Last night I also noticed a brand new plant emerging from the gravel - something that had been there waiting for better times. So here I have a tank with lots of light and little reds in the spectrum. But the plants don't mind it. Maybe that's why the fame of the Midday bulb lives on - it is not that it is the best spectrum but it is bright enough and normally used with reflectors that make it blast the water with even more light.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
switch26
Algae Grower

Very interesting.. I sometimes put my old corallife fixture on the back of my tank which had 2 lights, only about a 3 inch wide fixture and the bulbs put out about 21 watts each..

Anyway, almost as soon as i put that on 5 minutes later the plants start pearling too..

Ive now switched those bulbs to my T5HO fixture and they are Fulham 39w T5HO's, yet i cannot find a spectrum for output for those bulbs anywhere on the internet...

If you are feeling froggy and wanna try looking for that id be in debt to u! lol
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
niko
Planted Member

Hm, I didn't know Fulham sold bulbs also.

Found a spec sheet, here it is. Look at page 4 for the spectrums. Nothing to write home about as it seems:
http://www.fulham.com/PDFs/SpecSheet...07-01-revK.pdf

Here it is cut out from the pdf:

The 830 has a lot of reds (and barely present blues) but the reds are in some funky range - 600 nm or so instead of the 640-670 that is good for photosynthesis.

The 865 has blues and reds but in equal amounts. From what I learned posting above the blues need to be more (like 100 units) then the reds (like 50 units). In this bulb both of them are equal and both are barely above 50 units.

It looks like both Fulham bulbs are made more for balanced color to please the human eye - because of the green spike in the middle.

And of course - none of this means they are not good for plants. If we used incandescents with great success back in the day what we are talking about here is not exactly the difference between night and day.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
jonathan
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
If I understand you correctly you are asking if adding green light to please the human eye is also useful in some way to the plants.

If this is so then I think that the "middle" part of the spectrum (the one that makes the color of the light pleasing to the eye) is not completely useless for the plants. Look at all these graphs for the wavelengths that are best for photosyntesis. They all differ a little from each other. But what is pretty obvious is that between the high blue and red spikes there is also some activity. Meaning that the green light will actually be beneficial to some degree.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....1.2V8nU0CiQGU
Yes exactly what I mean. Thank you

I currently use a colormax to supplement my red spectrum. Its a far weaker light in terms of intensity. Now I really want to experiment with that purple and mixing green. I'm just worried about intensity and usefulness. Or if its so insanely ugly, maybe I can turn it on when I leave.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
switch26
Algae Grower

I wonder if the spectrum is the same for Fulham's 39w bulbs i have?

It says it has 3200 lumens, and that the Midday only has 2400 or something like that.

Would that make a difference in growth speed, or would the spectrum do that mostly?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #15
niko
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch26 View Post
I wonder if the spectrum is the same for Fulham's 39w bulbs i have?

It says it has 3200 lumens, and that the Midday only has 2400 or something like that.

Would that make a difference in growth speed, or would the spectrum do that mostly?
So you are asking how sheer intensity compares to good spectrum. Which one will result in better plant growth? I don't really know the answer to that. And I am not sure what are we really comparing - a few extra % of efficiency I guess. In the old days we used whatever bulbs we got and I do think we could grow all of today's "rare" plants too IF we added enough intensity. Strong light takes care of it all I guess. How much do we refuse that statement today? Are all these fancy LEDs and what not spectrums really worth it?

Here are a few thoughts I wrote today. They have to do with what you are asking:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...cy-enough.html