Finnex light for a 20 gallon long high tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
hermythewermy

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Finnex light for a 20 gallon long high tech

Hi everyone!

I have a 20 gallon long (30" long x 12" wide x 12" deep) and I want high light for my tank.

1. Should I buy the Ray II or the fugeray? I'm leaning towards the Ray II because it would work if I ever wanted to upgrade.

2. Would the 24" Ray II fit on my tank? I can't find how long the leg extenders are.

Thanks
hermythewermy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

24" wont fit, but they tell me the 2nd week of Jan they will have 30" which is what you need.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I'm sure Lowe will chime in soon about the extender length. However, I think I read that it's designed so that the 24" fixture can be put on 30" tanks. (Edit: I see that above posted says the answer is no).

Regarding which fixture, on a 12" tall tank (minus 1.5" to 2" for substrate, so you're looking at 10") the Ray II would put you in serious high light territory. The Finnex fixtures are very slim fitting, so you're looking at maybe 10.5" from light to substrate at best. You're looking at 60+ PAR at your lowest light level of any point in your tank and well above 160 PAR at it's highest. You'd have to have CO2 maxed at all times, be extremely dutiful with your dosing. Any slip up and you'd be in algae city. Even with max co2, you'll still likely have algae issues. Personally, I'd go with the fugeray. In a 12" tank, even the fugeray is high light.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
OldGrumpy
Algae Grower

I've been considering a finnex ray 2 for my 20G high. At this point I'm torn between the finnex, a dual t5HO or simply adding another T5NO fixture (I currently run one dual T5NO). I'm looking to get to medium/high light. At this point, although the LEDs sound cooler, I feel like the NO will give better spread and be more appropriate. Anyone have any opinions on this?
OldGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Is the FugeRay: Ultra Slim LED +Moonlights for a 20 gallon with mostly moss a bad move or is it ok to use. I don't have injected CO2.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrumpy View Post
I've been considering a finnex ray 2 for my 20G high. At this point I'm torn between the finnex, a dual t5HO or simply adding another T5NO fixture (I currently run one dual T5NO). I'm looking to get to medium/high light. At this point, although the LEDs sound cooler, I feel like the NO will give better spread and be more appropriate. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Ray 2 for a 20 High would probably be pretty good, given you're pumping pressurized co2. It has good spread (you can check out the PAR data in the Finnex subforum). I have had a FugeRay on my 60-P for about 3 weeks now and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
Is the FugeRay: Ultra Slim LED +Moonlights for a 20 gallon with mostly moss a bad move or is it ok to use. I don't have injected CO2.

I think you'd be asking for trouble. Based on the PAR data, seems like either fixture, the FugeRay or Ray II is gonna need some form of carbon supplementation. Now, the FugeRay wouldn't be too bad. That's part of the reason I got one of those for my 60-P. If my co2 runs out and I don't catch it right away, my tank shouldn't got to junk too quickly.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
OldGrumpy
Algae Grower

my plan was to run DIY CO2. If I ran 2 2L bottles, would the CO2 still be sufficient with the Ray 2?

I've read some places where people have noted that their taller plants tend to bend inwards toward the light when there is just one centered fixture. is this something other people have noticed? With my planned scape, I would prefer my plants to grow more or less straight.
OldGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
20 gallon long, finnex, high tech, lighting, ray 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.