29g "Jagged Peaks" - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #46
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P015 View Post
Looks very very cool! *going to go outside and search for cool rocks*
thats the only way to do it! can get what ever you want and even better its free!
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #47
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think im going to get a small school of glass cats for this tank, they are on the larger size of what i would like but stay on the uper part of the tank and look awsome!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #48
Michael T
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Ahhh, I see you managed to hide the intake, looks excellent.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #49
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Let me warn you about Blue Tetras - I just had to have them, too. I love them, they have a unique coloring and are real personalities - but they are nasty mean! If I were to do it all over again, I would keep them in a single species tank - and get plenty. Dozens! lol

I only started with 12 - my first mistake. 5 were killed in the QT tank. (a 29g with plenty of cover). They pick each other off, focusing on the weakest of the shoal. When the QT period was over (one month) I put them in a 125g community tank. This tank has 10 BIG adult Buenos Aires tetras, 18 BIG adult Columbian Tetras (I'm talking 2-1/2", to almost 3" fish) and a small handful of Black Neons and Harlequin Rasboras. The remaining Blues picked on the runt Blue, killing it in a matter of days. That runt tried to hide in the opposite corner of the 6 foot long tank, and yet the other Blues would dash from the far opposite side to nip and drive it. Then the next smallest fish went a week later. They act as a pack, ganging up on one. If I didn't feel so sorry for the victim, it would be interesting to watch how they coordinate. Now I have 4 left. They are all the same size and seem equal. Individually, they take constant pot-shots at all the other fish, causing stress in the tank. You would think a 125g tank would be big enough for all - apparently not. They will make mad rushes across the full length of the tank, pop a random fish, then go back. They steal the food right out of the Columbian and Buenos Aires's mouths, and the Buenos Aires fish are not one to mess with, they are mighty assertive themselves. Just a FYI...
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #50
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Ahhh, I see you managed to hide the intake, looks excellent.
yess sir, i just shoved it behind the rock witch i found out was resting on the heater haha
Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #51
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Let me warn you about Blue Tetras - I just had to have them, too. I love them, they have a unique coloring and are real personalities - but they are nasty mean! If I were to do it all over again, I would keep them in a single species tank - and get plenty. Dozens! lol

I only started with 12 - my first mistake. 5 were killed in the QT tank. (a 29g with plenty of cover). They pick each other off, focusing on the weakest of the shoal. When the QT period was over (one month) I put them in a 125g community tank. This tank has 10 BIG adult Buenos Aires tetras, 18 BIG adult Columbian Tetras (I'm talking 2-1/2", to almost 3" fish) and a small handful of Black Neons and Harlequin Rasboras. The remaining Blues picked on the runt Blue, killing it in a matter of days. That runt tried to hide in the opposite corner of the 6 foot long tank, and yet the other Blues would dash from the far opposite side to nip and drive it. Then the next smallest fish went a week later. They act as a pack, ganging up on one. If I didn't feel so sorry for the victim, it would be interesting to watch how they coordinate. Now I have 4 left. They are all the same size and seem equal. Individually, they take constant pot-shots at all the other fish, causing stress in the tank. You would think a 125g tank would be big enough for all - apparently not. They will make mad rushes across the full length of the tank, pop a random fish, then go back. They steal the food right out of the Columbian and Buenos Aires's mouths, and the Buenos Aires fish are not one to mess with, they are mighty assertive themselves. Just a FYI...

thats crazy! had no idea they were that meen, and i thought serpes were nippy. they dont seem like they are mipping each other in the lfs tank so idk maybe that might change in a comunity tank? now that i hear that kinda scares me to get them. i might just stick with the rummys or get a couple of the blue tetras to "test the waters" haha

the bigest reason i wanted them is as u said their unique color. they are def different from any others and could look realy nice with the large rocks.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #52
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Rummynose tetras are my favorite! So I vote for a large school of rummies! Although they aren't the most colorful with you can get. But I love them just the same. What about your glass cats, a large school of rummies, and a group of some bottom dwellers? Maybe a pair of rams?
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #53
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Don't get me wrong, I love the look and personality of the Blue Tetras - but I'll never put them in a community tank again.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #54
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the look and personality of the Blue Tetras - but I'll never put them in a community tank again.
word, yea im probably not going to go with them now that i heard that haha. theres plenty of other fish that id like to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Rummynose tetras are my favorite! So I vote for a large school of rummies! Although they aren't the most colorful with you can get. But I love them just the same. What about your glass cats, a large school of rummies, and a group of some bottom dwellers? Maybe a pair of rams?
yea the rummys im def going to go with, its just a matter of how big of a big school they are my fav fish after all! but not at all hardy. i like the idea od a pair of rams to get some blue in there ive been wanting some realy bad to add to some tank they are just so $$$. im thinking a small school of copeland tetras for a shape difference. or glass blood fin tetras that ive been seeing all over the place lately, they school realy tight like the rummys and have the nice deep red spot color. with a couple glass cats kinda have a theme going with clear not to bright fish haha. the decisions the decisions
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #55
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Nice scape! Great how you filled up often unused space with your hardscape.
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #56
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

So much better with the intake hidden!

the rummy nose definitely look good in there.

makes me want some now lol!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #57
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Nice scape! Great how you filled up often unused space with your hardscape.
thanks! that was my goal to use up the negative space often unused my most iwagumi scapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
So much better with the intake hidden!

the rummy nose definitely look good in there.

makes me want some now lol!
rummy are great! my fav fish they are so lively. so i think im going to get a large school of rummys maybe around 12-15 then 10 glass blood fins, and possibly a couple glass cats maybe 4 or 5. has anyone had any problems with glass cats picking on plants?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #58
amajoh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Absolutely love the rocks in this tank. Just stunning.
amajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #59
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Wonderful!
I know how hard it is to find a nice blue fish without busting your bank, then having it die in QT...it's a tough gamble!
Good luck though glass cats look really unique!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #60
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajoh View Post
Absolutely love the rocks in this tank. Just stunning.
thanks you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Wonderful!
I know how hard it is to find a nice blue fish without busting your bank, then having it die in QT...it's a tough gamble!
Good luck though glass cats look really unique!

oh yea always a gamble when buying interesting fish. my rummys started to gasp for air tonight tho they wernt at the surface. so ether high ammonia or i gassed the fish. so i moved them to the 20g so they will survive until the tank is fully cycled. i guess it was a bad decision to a cycle with fish. i wanted try it i know some people have had success but rummys probably wernt the best fish to do this with haha. well we will find out if they survive in the morning! im hoping for the best.