Mr. Aqua 17.4 - Fred's upgrade
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
doinkmobb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mr. Aqua 17.4 - Fred's upgrade

I think I'm much more of a casual hobbyist than many of you out there because I didn't take any pictures of me shaking the UPS man's hand as he dropped off the box containing my tank or me unwrapping the box or all my aquarium accoutrements neatly stacked in place waiting to be assembled.

My wife makes fun of me enough for taking pictures of things like my car, my bike or my aquarium and sharing them with fellow enthusiasts on the internet. If she had seen me taking pictures of different scapes so I could show them to "men on the internet" (as my wife collectively calls you people) to solicit advice, I'd never hear the end of it.

First of all, who is Fred? Fred is a betta that I rescued from my wife's friend. The poor guy was living in 16 oz. of tepid water on a dark shelf in their house. I transferred him into a 10 gallon tank with a few plants and he looked 1000% happier.

I then decided to decommission my 10 gallon and my 55 gallon and get a small-ish tank for Fred and some buddies in the living room. I looked into an ADA-60 P but with shipping, it was twice as much as a Mr. Aqua 17.4. Is it half the quality for half the price? I have no idea, but it works for me.

Aquarium - Mr. Aqua 17.4 gallon (60L x 30D x36H cm or 23.6L x 11.8D x 14.1H in)
Lighting - Zoomed Aquasun 24" T5HO, with a 6700K and 10000K bulb (48 watts total, 10 hour photoperiod)
Filtration - Fluval 304
Heater - 77-78 F, some inline heater, can't remember
Substrate - Quikrete pool filter sand
Fishes - Fred the blue betta, breeding pair of bushy nose plecos, two really really really old lemon tetras, one really really really old serpae tetra (banished to the baby pleco tank due to non-stop biting)
Plants - anubias, tiny clump of dwarf hair grass, several varieties of crypts, rotala, something that I thought was jungle val but is not getting anywhere near as tall
Plant nutrients - homemade root tabs (osmocote plus in gel caps), KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, Plantex CSM+B, Flourish Excel
CO2 - none...for now
Water - insanely hard Florida tap water with decholrinator

I'm not very strict with my tanks. I fertilize macros one day, micros the next, whatever amount I feel necessary. Throw in a little Excel now and then. Do a 25% water change weekly...or bi-weekly...or whenever.

If the plants look happy and the tank doesn't look gross, than I keep on doing what I'm doing. It's just a box of water with some plants and fish in it, no need to get crazy about it.

First day up and running

After one week (not much change)

Sir-Bites-A-Lot

One of the 5+ year old lemon tetras

The happy couple munching on some algae wafers

Male BN

Fred, in all his glory

Exposed anubias getting fried by the light
doinkmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That looks good so far, and you did a nice thing with that betta. I think with that light you are going to need a stricter fert schedule and CO2.

I used to catch crap for taking pictures of my car too.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
doinkmobb
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
That looks good so far, and you did a nice thing with that betta. I think with that light you are going to need a stricter fert schedule and CO2.

I used to catch crap for taking pictures of my car too.
I didn't have an algal bloom yet which I thought was kinda weird. I planted pretty heavily right from the start though, which may have helped. I'm sure I'll need to dial the light back some or go to a shorter photoperiod and/or get a CO2 setup at some point.

A 6700K bulb looks kinda meh by itself, a 10000K looks too blue by itself, but together they look perfect.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

You're far from alone--I generally find myself rolling my eyes a bit at the endless series of "here's the box, here's the box open, here's the box open with the top layer of foam removed, here's the empty tank, here's the equipment with the empty tank, here's the empty box I took all the stuff from!". heh.

Nor are you alone in your what works approach.

Really like the layout on this. Good combination of creating shadowed and bright spaces, shelter and open swim areas.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
doinkmobb
Algae Grower

I filled up the tank to just below the rim aaaaannd...four fish jump out. I bought 5 guppies of which 2 males and a female jumped to their demise. One of my ancient lemon tetras decided to check out the berber carpet as well.

Lesson learned - don't fill the tank that high anymore.