My 20L Journey - FullMetalMako
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
FullMetalMako
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 20L Journey - FullMetalMako

I'm a beginner aquarist journalling my first planted tank.

Taken: August 2nd, 2014

The tank had sat empty for about a month (because I was poor :P) until I decided to at least fill it with water and begin cycling it. I took gravel from my old tank and place it in a ziplock bag with holes in it. The sponge filter has plenty of bacteria in it. The rocks were the new and I wanted to make sure they were truly safe for aquarium use before I committed to them.

Taken: August 8th, 2014

I finally received the key components of my aquarium:
  • Aquaclear 50g HOB filter
  • x2 20lbs Eco-Complete black substrate
  • x1 15lbs Florite black sand

This was taken right after I added plants:
  • Wisteria and Hornwort on the far corners
  • Rotala rotundifolia in the center
  • Crypt wendtii "bronze" in the foreground in front of the rocks
  • x1 Anubias nana tied to a stone
  • x2 Amazon Swords (I should've have probably just gotten 1)
At this point there was no lighting.

As you can see, I kept the sponge filter running alongside the HOB. I kept it in for over two weeks until I was 100% sure the HOB was good on its own.

Taken: August 30th, 2014

At this point I've had lights for about two and a half weeks, have been dry dosing in the EI low tech method for exactly 1 week.

Started off buying x2 15w CFLs @ 6500k but one of them was faulty right out of the box. I don't own a car and had to bike 6 miles to get those two and so I decided I'd make do with just the 1 bulb. The growth you see here is after over two weeks at 0.75 watts/gal (admittedly most the growth began after EI dosing). The tank in this photo is illuminated by x2 20watt CFLs @ 6500k (2 watts/gal).

The drift wood is oak branch shards that I found dried out in my neighborhood. I boiled them and baked them thoroughly. They took about 3 days of floating to sink with the help of some rocks tied on to them. The java moss was added 1 day ago (also tied on).

I quickly got fed up of the Hornwort as it constantly sheds needle like leaves that settled in the corners of the tank. I didn't like the fact it is purely a floating plant. I discarded it and bought Anacharis which I think is gorgeous! The Wisteria is still in but I'm considering replacing it with a stem plant or with lots of Java fern (if I can get my hands on some!)

Very happy with the tank right now

BONUS PICTURE! Her name is Big Momma and she's my female Amano Shrimp (~ 1.5")

I currently have:
  • x2 Zebra Danio (came from my fish tank which was a gift)
  • x4 Amano Shrimp
  • x6 Harlequin Rasbora (added in that order)

Thanks for reading through all this crap I'd love to hear opinions about good plants for low-tech tanks. I especially want to fill the midground more.

I wanted to stick to an Asian fish setup but I'm considering a pair of German Blue Rams. Would Gouramis be better? I've heard issues with aggression with both but I would love a "center piece" for the tank.
FullMetalMako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Mirzath
Algae Grower

Lovely Tank. Great picture of the shrimp.
Mirzath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalMako View Post
Plants:
  • Wisteria and Hornwort on the far corners
  • Rotala rotundifolia in the center
  • Crypt wendtii "bronze"
  • x1 Anubias nana tied to a stone
  • x2 Amazon Swords (I should've just gotten 1)
Started off buying x2 15w CFLs @ 6500k but one of them was faulty right out of the box. I don't own a car and had to bike 6 miles to get those two and so I decided I'd make do with just the 1 bulb. The growth you see here is after over two weeks at 0.75 watts/gal (admittedly most the growth began after EI dosing). The tank in this photo is illuminated by x2 20watt CFLs @ 6500k (2 watts/gal).
The Rotala rotundifolia seems to be the only 1 that will need much higher light. Best economically to stick with plants that suit your light, such as Wisteria, Cryptocoryne and Anubias, Ferns and Moss. Just 1 Amazon sword's roots will take up the substrate.

Are you under 18yrs? If no how about buying a light strip online. If under can you get parents to set up paypaly account and buy a light strip on line?
For light strip:
Coralife T5NO Coralife 47.57 at Pet
Marineland double Amazon 43.95

For plants you get best deals from people on forums like here and APC

Last edited by Hilde; 09-01-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: added
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
FullMetalMako
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
The Rotala rotundifolia seems to be the only 1 that will need much higher light. Best economically to stick with plants that suit your light, such as Wisteria, Cryptocoryne and Anubias, Ferns and Moss. Just 1 Amazon sword's roots will take up the substrate.

Are you under 18yrs? If no how about buying a light strip online. If under can you get parents to set up paypaly account and buy a light strip on line?
For light strip:
Coralife T5NO Coralife 47.57 at Pet
Marineland double Amazon 43.95

For plants you get best deals from people on forums like here and APC
Haha, yes, I'm over 18.

I always intended on getting a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ but never got around to it. The Rotala is actually doing great and some of it is a nice purple color.

Definitely going to consider removing one of the Swords. Any good background and midground plant suggestions?
FullMetalMako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Here is a easy cheap DIY LED strip over a 10G tank. Appears to be as bright as my 2 Coraife T5NO light strips over my 20G long tank.

For plants I think you need more anubias for the forefront. For background just give the wisteria time. It is a weed and hard to kill. It is a nitrate hog. Thus in time you will need to dose KNO3 (potas. nitrate). I get from Spectricide Stump remover at Lowes's or HD. Some states have made it illegal. KNO3 soluiton - Mix 30 ml (3 tsp or 1 Tbs) into 1 cup of water. 1ml = 1.08 ppm of NO3 in 10g of water. Increas nitrates slowly to protect fish.

Last edited by Hilde; 09-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: changed info about LED strip
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't worry too much about taking out one for the swords. I've got 14 of them in a 55 gallon, and they're doing pretty good. Granted, the growth is a little slower than if I had, say, 5, but they're all very healthy. Another great plant is water sprite. Grows like a weed and looks awesome. Good background plant. As for midground plants, I'd go with more Cryptocoryne wendtii. Several more anubias plants on that wood would look awesome, too.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.