at the end of my rope.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

at the end of my rope.

Hi everyone
I have a 56 column tank. For filtration I have a fluval 405 a fluval 206 and a small hob aqua clear. It's been up and running for about a year. Never had any problems until last week. My c02 tank dumped in my tank killing everything except 2 angel 3 gbr and 4 cherry barb. I was able to remove all the fish except 1 gbr. They are in my 26 gallon cube that was already over stocked. The fish in the 26 seem fine but I know its way over stocked. One of gbr refused to leave the 56 so hes still in there happy as can be. When I tested the water the next day my nitrite were really high amonia was .25. I did a pwc cleaned a cpl of the filters(there were several filters I didn't clean) with old water. I switched from stress coat to prime. I also dosed with night out ll. That was all done by last wed. Fri i meet a guy over at Pacific to sell him the c02 and pick up some angel. I bring water wirh me just to have it tested one more time. I explained to the salesman what happened. He suggested that I not buy any fish but add some from the 26. I took his advice and added 3 glo tetra. I drip acclimated for a hr. The next morning they were dead. I only found 2 still haven't found the third. checked my readings yesterday the nitrite are down to 0 but my ammonia is still 1.0. So yesterday I go in remove as much crap as I can find . I found a cpl of dead fish and a few decaying leaves. I test my water still the ammonia is 1.0. At this point I really don't know what to do. I need to get some of the fish out of the 26 but I can't wirh the ammonia at 1.0. At this point I have no idea what to do? Im thinking maybe I should add some more night out ll?
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

do a 75% water change and gently rinse all filter media. wait a few hours (or a day) then do another 75% water change ensuring you use prime each time and try to match water temps.

ensure all dead fish and dead decaying leaves are removed.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks dprais.
There's one more problem. I forgot to mention. The ph from my tap is 7 but for some reason the ph in my tank is 6.0. I went out last week and bought a 35 gallon rubbermade van to age my water. Its been in there for about a week with heater and air stone. I would have enough for one wster change but not 2.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're conditioning your water with prime, why do you need to age your water?
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Prime has no effect on PH.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ed-125477.html
Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Slow down a bit. One of two things happening. Most likely, the tank is still in the middle of a cycle. Remember the cycle "wave" ammonia spike, ammonia drops, nitrites spike, nirites drop, nitrates spike. Somewhat less likely, your water supply has chloramines and affecting your ammonia readings. Huge water changes in the middle of a cycle aren't going to speed the process up. It's hurry up and test daily. Invest in the best quality kits you can get your hands on and make sure they aren't expired. If the smaller tank is that crammed, talk to the folks at that LFS and see if they'll let you keep a few fish there for a couple of weeks to alleviate the crowding.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

With the ammonia so high, I'd pull out all the water and refill. Once you have an inch of water you can either refill it from there, or it'll be easier to remove that last fish that refused to leave before, and then remove all the water. Then refill.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks jrh, Albert and Bushkill
I spoke to Will from Pacific ive been to him several times the past week. Wh originally tested my water last week. He had me do a round of test this morning. He feels my tank did a mini cycle and is at the end of the cycle and to just leave it alone.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed, slow down and get your filter cycled again first. Until ammonia and nitrates are 0, and stay there don't worry about anything else yet.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks devilduck. I was hoping to get the angel Monday but it might have to wait
Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im sorry I forgot to thank you nu2plants