Old T8 hood converted to 4xCFL
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Old T8 hood converted to 4xCFL

So I decided I wanted more light. I had a 2xT5NO and the original single T8. I was debating running both, when I decided that I might as well just make the leap.

I took my old T8 hood (it helps if you have a beautiful assistant)

I took everything apart (one of the fun parts)

I removed the existing reflector:

And hammed it out, then rebent it to fit the shape of the hood after the old ballast, starter, etc were removed (you can see the scraps of metal where I cut it as it was too long after reshaping):

I went to Lowes and bought 4 generic light fixtures (Servalite H#884413 $3 each), a bag of wire nuts ($2) and a pack of bolts($2)/nuts($1)/washers($2) that fit the mounting hole in the socket. I drilled 4 holes where I wanted the lights to be (spacing them out roughly even) and started wiring the socket in:

I kept all the wiring under the reflector, and after putting it back in the hood roughly to make sure it fit:

Then tightened everything down and installed my bulbs.

I ended up with 4x 14w @ 5000k, I may look around for some other bulb options but the research done seems to indicate the color rating on the CFL's isn't as important.

I took some before and after shots of the tank itself, but the lighting difference in the room and the dust leftover from the Flourite sand attributes to some of the color differences that you see in the picture.

Before:

After:

Having caught the DIY bug, I believe I need a pressurized CO2 system next, and I might modify my light in the future to have a lunar light like I saw some people using.
majorwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I did the same with my fixture, I did 3x13w 6500K over a 20gal. Amazing plant growth after that.

For reference, under the T8, I had 1 val, about 3" long. It never died but never grew for over a year, just stayed at about 3". Switched my light and now about 8 months later.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
majorwoo
Planted Member

It seems one of the CFL's was defective, as the bulb was cracked this morning. I returned the pack of 4, and I'm now running 4x 13w 6700k (which they didn't have yesterday when I looked for ~6500k)

So I'm happy it broke I guess
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

So you have 4 cfl and 2 t5no?
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
majorwoo
Planted Member

No, sorry I removed the 2x T5NO.

This is roughly based on hoppy's work here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
and some napkin math based comparisons of the chart below, I suspect I am over 100 PAR with my CFL setup

*edit to add*
When looking at this chart note that these bulbs were mounted vertically - not horizontally as I did. This has been shown to be more efficient (vertically)

Take a look here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85667&page=2
specifically:

I need to hookup with a local aquatic club with a PAR meter and really get some numbers.

Last edited by majorwoo; 01-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: added additional information
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow I'm gonna give that a shot
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
majorwoo
Planted Member

For anyone who tries this, please note that some CFL's are larger then others. If you are retrofitting a T8 (or possibly other sized hoods) you need to make sure the bulb fits inside the hood. There were several different options of bulbs that fit, but some of them were much larger then others - especially if you were looking at the higher wattage bulbs.

I used the "micro mini Sylvania 6700k 13w = 60w bulbs" in the end. (Lowes had them, I'm just linking the amazon to show them)

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Twist-Da...nia+micro+mini