Last Minute CO2 Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Last Minute CO2 Questions

I'm about to get my 5 LB CO2 tank filled up, and I just want to make sure I don't have an accident. Here's a picture of my setup (yes, I do have a CO2 washer in between the regulator and the tank):

Here's the needle valve:

Okay, now I have a few questions:

1. Does the airline tubing just hook onto that little plug on that needle valve?
2. Do I just take the CO2 tank to the store, or do I take everything with me?
3. How do I safely open up the CO2 tank, regulator, and needle valve, letting the CO2 into the tank?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

1. There should be a cap that comes with the needle valve. It compresses the tubing onto the barb.
2. Disconnect the regulator, then take the cylinder in.
3. Make sure the working pressure on the regulator is at zero, attach it to the cylinder, slowly open up the cylinder, make sure everything is attached to the regulator (airline, etc.), and slowly increase working pressure.
3a. Check for leaks.

By the way, because it isn't obvious in the pic, is there some type of sealant/tape/dope on the threads from the regulator to the needle valve? No need where there's a rubber washer, but, for example, from the regulator to that brass reducer?
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
1. There should be a cap that comes with the needle valve. It compresses the tubing onto the barb.
2. Disconnect the regulator, then take the cylinder in.
3. Make sure the working pressure on the regulator is at zero, attach it to the cylinder, slowly open up the cylinder, make sure everything is attached to the regulator (airline, etc.), and slowly increase working pressure.
3a. Check for leaks.

By the way, because it isn't obvious in the pic, is there some type of sealant/tape/dope on the threads from the regulator to the needle valve? No need where there's a rubber washer, but, for example, from the regulator to that brass reducer?
Okay, thanks for your help. No, there's no sealant between the regulator and the brass reducer. Are you saying that since there's a washer between the tank and the regulator, I don't need it?

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
Okay, thanks for your help. No, there's no sealant between the regulator and the brass reducer. Are you saying that since there's a washer between the tank and the regulator, I don't need it?
Correct. Don't use any type of sealant between cylinder and regulator. Just the nylon washer or permaseal.

NPT threads are tapered. Tapered threads use sealant to create a leak-tight seal. Always use tape, dope, or some other sealant.

CGA threads are parallel. Parallel threads use a washer to create a leak-tight seal. Never use tape, dope, or other sealant.

You *will* have leaks if you don't use sealant on tapered threads. Teflon tape is most popular, and very cheap. Pipe dope works, but do not use it on high-pressure connections (for example, where the CGA nipple screws into the regulator body, or at the connection to the high pressure gauge), as it may literally get blown out of the threads.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, cool. Thanks.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I have a problem. I got everything set up, but when I turned the valve on the CO2 tank, there was loud noise, like gas was escaping the tank. I have no idea what to do now. Here's a picture:

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Your high pressure valve is reading 3000 psi. That's a problem. I'd remove the regulator quickly, and stick the cylinder in the garage or basement - somewhere that, if it vents, it won't damage anything. And open a window. Seriously, now. I'll expand in the next post.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I set the tank outside. I tried closing the valve, but it won't close. Do i just turn with more force?

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, a CO2 cylinder is designed to hold 800 pounds per square inch of pressure. Your high pressure gauge is showing about 3 1/2 times that amount of pressure. There could be a couple reasons for this.

One, your CO2 cylinder is grossly overfilled. This will result in the relief valve blowing at some point, probably soon, as the cylinder warms up after the refill (you probably noticed it's ice cold). As the temperature rises, the pressure increases.

Two, your CO2 cylinder is fine, and your high pressure gauge is busted. This happens, and you can actually go without one.

I'd recommend you keep the cylinder somewhere else for a few hours, and keep a window open wherever it is. If the pressure really is 3000 psi, and it's still ice cold, it will definitely vent.

I don't know exactly what the "hissing" sound was. You'll have to be a little more clear about where exactly it was coming from.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, didn't mean to be alarmist. But it's better to not have a venting cylinder in living quarters, and certainly not in a place where it might be pointed at sensitive stuff "like skin".

It's not going to explode, no worries there. But it may make a really loud hiss for a bit.

By the way, is your high pressure gauge back to zero now?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know exactly where the hissing came from, but I definitely heard it somewhere around the tank and the regulator.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to be alarmist. But it's better to not have a venting cylinder in living quarters, and certainly not in a place where it might be pointed at sensitive stuff "like skin".

It's not going to explode, no worries there. But it may make a really loud hiss for a bit.

By the way, is your high pressure gauge back to zero now?
Oh, haha. My mom was worried for a minute there. Yeah, it's outside, and it's really cold too; it almost snowed a few minutes ago when it was raining. How do I remove the regulator?

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How exactly should I remove the regulator from the tank?

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

It should be safe to go out to it. Just don't stand in front of the nozzle or the little nut on the side of the nozzle - that's the relief valve. You can try to make sure it's turned off.

Can you walk through exactly the steps you took? I assume the cylinder was closed when you attached the regulator, and then when you opened the cylinder you heard something hissing. Well, my guess is it wasn't the cylinder that was hissing, it was the relief valve on the regulator. It's designed as a CO2 regulator, which means that the relief valve on the reg (not the one on the cylinder) has a much lower cracking pressure than 3000 psi, even though the gauge shows up to 3000 psi.

So, a couple questions - one, did you remove the regulator, and if you did, does the high pressure side now show zero?

Two, did you just get the cylinder refilled, within the last hour or so? if so, the CO2 and cylinder will still be warming up, and pressure will be increasing. I would definitely leave it outside for a while in this case.

If the high pressure gauge on your regulator is back to zero, then the gauge is *probably* working correctly, and the pressure in the cylinder is way too high, meaning the cylinder was overfilled. It's not safe to use until it's at a lower level. Unfortunately, I think your best option *in this case* is to wait for it to warm up and see if it vents, and then, if it doesn't, go outside and manually open the cylinder valve and allow the CO2 to escape. Then take the cylinder back to the refill place, give them hell for putting your safety at risk, and demand a free refill. Or a refund, and take it somewhere else to fill.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, with the regulator still attached to the cylinder, I'd go check on the pressure first. If it's still way up around 3000 psi, just wait. If it's dropped a bunch, make sure the cylinder is turned off, then remove the regulator.

You can also call the refill place and see what they recommend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.