Shrimp attacking hermits?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
dburns865
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp attacking hermits?

I have had blue legged hermits in my brackish tank (currently at 1.011 salinity) and I keep finding my ghost shrimp eating them. They seem healthy to me, so I do not think they are dying. Is it possible my ghost shrimp are attacking them?
dburns865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
dburns865
Algae Grower

Just want to add that I just came back from a weekend trip and two or three more are gone and one was in the process of being eaten, which makes me think they are being hunted since they didn't have food for a few days.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
jake10
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Give the shrimps more food!!! If the ghost shrimps have to pry open a hermit crab for food that's a easy sign that they are underfed. Though in a part of an algae wafer and if its eaten quickly put in more. But just make sure you don't over feed.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
dburns865
Algae Grower

So it is possible they are attacking them? I always put in enough food so that it sits on the bottom. I generally see them scampering away with like 3 or 4 blood worms... IDK why they are attacking them
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
jake10
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Now are you sure they are ghost shrimp. I have heard a few stories of people getting long clawed something or others that are extremely aggressive? I have had ghost shrimp and they would never hurt a snail or endler fry.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
dburns865
Algae Grower

That's what the store says. One of them does seem exceptionally big and has red bands on his claw arms so maybe. He just has small fingers type claws though, nothing huge, just long arms.

That one was actually born in my tank so I assumed his size just meant he was healthy growing up in a good environment.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Ghost shrimp is often a catch all phrase for shrimp that are transparent. So that means many species fall under that term.

The majority of "ghost shrimp" are not able to have babies that live in freshwater.

It is possible you received a red claw shrimp. I have them myself and love them as they grow bigger than 2" and are much more fun/active to watch than my dwarfs, however they do need a species tank of their own. Think of them like crayfish.