Dwarf puffer fighting - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

How are you sexing them at such a young age? the belly stripe is the best indicator. i just didnt think it would show up this soon. i would divide the older ones and leave the babies together. you dont wanna end up with more dead puffers. i would bet that is the reason for the other deaths. they are tough little fish. also you said they are puffing up. these fish dont usually puff unless they are scared for their life.
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ugh sounds not pleasant I actually prefer the fish with no - eyes i have rescued some and there so sweet !
Doesn't sound good for me then but im gonna go with it and see how it goes. I met someone who had 12 in a 8 gallon for months with no issues :/
scarlett4410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

Sorry i didnt see your post.
Alot of them have there wrinkles even tough there really small, some are getting their lines as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

In my opinion and experience, it's not a good idea to keep more than a couple puffers in a tank - even 20 gallons. It's just plain irresponsible for any retailer to sell six puffers like that.

Since you already have them, though, go with the advice you've been given and make sure your tank is heavily, heavily planted. To go further… is it possible for you to return some of them? Or to find a friend who could take some of them from you?

You're likely to have nothing but problems unless you get a much larger tank and thin the herd out a bit.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i REALLY wanted dwarf puffers (why i love puffers i don't know) but their personality scared me off. now i'm glad i didn't ... i have a hard enough time with my betta... they are all cute and lovey and stuff but they are always jumping at my hands when i try to work on their tank and feed them (freaks me out and i scream and jump like the girl i am)
--
they look sooo sweet.. but this makes me realize they are not the fish for me... now if i find the 'wimpy fish' i'll be fine... my shrimp are pretty wimpy and they fight like a 'scared girl' so it's funny (though we do try to break up fights .. as it's just not nice)...
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

I REALLY dont want to return these fish but i did call my LFS and they said they will only take livbearers and peaceful fish None of my friends have fish so that's not an option. Guess im stuck with them for now. I have a spare 5 gallon & 3.5 gallon, i think the 3.5 is to small to keep a puffer in. Anyway my mum said that she wont sell my puffers wich is a relef and if push comes to shove i will have to seperate them. I can fish 5 tanks in my room but not 6 ...
Im gonna get some more plants but stick with it and see how it goes.

Haha there appearance deceives there inner personality! Shrimp are such funny creatures , i wanted them but obviously cant them!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Do some research before buying fish. Every time.
The knowledge that puffers are territorial and aggressive to the point of killing each other and other species of tank mates is commonly available.
Except to shop keepers who will do anything to make a sale. They will pick up on the one time in a hundred when the wrong stocking level worked and use that to sell too many of the wrong species.

Separate your puffers into as many tanks as needed.

One male per tank, if the tank is under 10 American gallons. (38 liters).
If you can figure out the most peaceful males you can try more in your largest tank. Watch them! The most peaceful under the current conditions are probably the youngest, most scared fish. When the dominant male is gone, some other male will rise to the alpha position.

A 10 gallon tank could hold 1 male and 2 females, if there are a lot of plants, rocks, driftwood and so on for the fish to explore and hide from each other. This will not work in a more open tank.

Set up all the tanks with lots of places for the fish to explore.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

I did research but didnt count on getting 5 boys
Im trying to make it densly planted with caves but its hard!
Would so sticks help to break up the line of sight? If so wich are safe to use?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Any sort of driftwood meant for aquariums will work.

If you can, plant heavily. It'll take more than wood to break up line of site.

Definitely get other tanks started for them or try to find homes for them. There are bound to be several fish shops throughout your area of the UK that would trade them for store credit in a worst case scenario.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

Its quite planted but im going to see if i can fish 5 more plants in ( theres a deal ; 5 plants for 10 ) and get some more driftwood altough its 10 :/
Anyway i really keep them but if not i tought that i will hopefully have 1-2 females and i have 1-2 very placid males so i could keep 2 females + 1 male in their current tank , put 1 male in my spare 5 gallon and by 2 other tanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could add some anarchris(spelling?) its a floating plant. When i had puffers they liked to sleep in the floating vines. it was cute like a hammock. good luck.
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
scarlett4410
Algae Grower

Would that help the fighting?
I just googled it and i have some of that ! But mines in the ground should i make some of it float if so where does it float? Mid , Top or bottom
My puffers love it tough and enjoy sleeping on the leafs and hiding from the bully.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
PuffTheMagicDragon
Algae Grower

I've successfully kept my puffer with the rest of my community fish, the vast majority of whom are guppies. Yes, guppies. No tail-nipping, no chasing, no aggression whatsoever. In fact, the guppies are usually pushing the puffer around! I have not suffered any sort of damage since dropping him in there...

True story. This is one case where I'm really glad I decided to just give it a shot instead of heeding the advice of the experts. (My LFS swore up and down all my fish would be dead in a week if I threw a Puffer in the mix.)

All that being said, I keep one side of the tank heavily planted to allow the puffer some sort of "territory" to call his own (he's never chased anyone out, however.) I think the size of the tank is everything when it comes to aggressive fish. Second would definitely be planting: breaking up the "predator's" line of sight is supposed to be another useful tool in keeping them relatively subdued.
PuffTheMagicDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
golfer_d
Planted Member

I have an Aqueon Evolve 8 which is, in my opinion, heavily planted. I am hoping to add 2 dwarf pea puffers to the tank once the LFS gets more in.

Based on what everyone has said and what I have read, it seems that should be ok. Having said that, it also appears some people have luck with the little guys and others not so much.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

8 gal would be good for two. But heavily planted isn't an opinion. If you can't see the parallel panel of glass from looking directly at it, it is heavily planted. If you post a pic, people here will be open about telling you!
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote