Anyone have a 40G breeder shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Anyone have a 40G breeder shrimp tank?

So petco is having the $1 a gallon sale and couldnt resist a new 40g for $40. Its an awesome tank with a great shape for planting. When my friend asked me what kind of fish I was thinking of getting I told him I wanted to just trasfer evreything from my 20g shrimp tank over to it. (I dont like having more than one tank in my room, its just too much.) He looked at me like I was crazy. My question is, is 40g too much for just shrimp and/or will they benifit in a larger tank? Does anyone else have a 40g breeder shrmp tank? Im thinking about getting a divider to house different shrimp but dont like the look of most dividers.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Here this thread was just started yesterday. Take a look and see if it helps ya.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202310
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Had one but converted it to a fish tank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I've seen 40G (and larger) shrimp tanks, but they have HUNDREDS of shrimp in them. I think it's something you have to work up to, population-wise.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buy it and plant it, use CO2 to help grow the individual plants and then resell the plants....the money will finance your shrimp collection which you can keep in smaller breeding tanks.

I have a 4 ft long x 1ft x 1 ft that I planted with just a few vals (dwarf, corkscrew) some Cabomba and a few different mosses on mesh squares and riccia. I added a T5 light and some CO2. That was in August.

My tank is now so overrun with vals, cabomba, moss growing out the ying yang, that I have to now set up another tank to move the Taiwans into, because they can't find one another

Im going to just keep this tank for plants and use my smaller 8 gallon 12 x 12 x 12 for the Taiwans. Ive figured out how to keep the PH below 6 so thats good for them and CRS too.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Why would it be too much? More water = more stable parameters.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

A breeder I know keeps his tanks bare except for the soil and some fissidens...I asked why and he told me this way the shrimps can find one another and he can see all the berried females and the babies. He has 100+ gorgeous SSS+ crystals.

Now I KNOW why he keeps it so sparse!!!! Going to do the same thing
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

I think it's a question of big space, few shrimp (aka your breeding odds go way down because they just can't find the female in time). If you have tons of shrimp, then a 40G (or larger tank) isn't a problem at all, it's ideal!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Shrimp can almost always find the female in time. When a female shrimp molts, male shrimp anywhere in a standard aquarium (something you can easily keep in your home) will know about it.

If you start with a single male and single female, you'll still get plenty of breeding. No noticeable lower breeding odds at all.

Should things come down to selectively breeding, a $10 modified breeder box works wonders.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

I agree....a male will be able to find a female with ease due to her pheromones that she releases. This is why when a female molts the entire tank goes in a frenzy with all the shrimp swimming around.

I also prefer my tanks to look somewhat presentable. I have a decent amount of girls coming over for some wine/dinner so having 3 bare tanks with a few "lobsters" (as they call it) would not be so cool in their eyes. This is why you add some nice green mosses etc and all of the sudden you become a "different type of guy" in a good way. However, I can see why breeders would want to keep their tanks bare but I am not a professional breeder....I am only a hobbyist. Having plants always gives you a hedge in the hobby; one week I am into plants and the next I'm all about shrimp. It never gets boring.

When I first started in the hobby back in 2005 I had a bare tank if that counts.

But, it quickly became semi-bare with 1/4 of tank having no gravel (these were the days when Cherries were going for 5 bucks).

hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i think a 40b is just fine for shrimp. and will allow you to be creative on planting it. as for a divider i would go with acrylic or glass and silicone it in place. this will give you 2 tanks where shrimp cant cross over and if need be even 2 different water parameters for say neo's and crystals. you would need double the filters because of making it 2 tanks but that is not to hard
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Shrimp can almost always find the female in time.

The linked post in comment 2 is a discussion of the exact opposite experience from GeToChKn. Everybody has such different experiences and opinions.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

There are so many variables involved (in the linked situation) that it would be super-difficult to pin down.

Put five shrimp in 20,000 gallons of water and there may be some slow breeding. But put five shrimp in 50-500 gallons of water and they'll find each other with ease.

In my experience, the only thing (not related to parameters and health) that seems to slow shrimp breeding down is population density. Specifically, when the tank reaches critical mass, they stop breeding until you trim the population way down.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

In my experience, the only thing (not related to parameters and health) that seems to slow shrimp breeding down is population density. Specifically, when the tank reaches critical mass, they stop breeding until you trim the population way down.
Yup, I cut down on my population all the time or they slow down a bit. I generally aim for about 100 shrimp in my 20 gallon high. In my small aquarium it's not like the shrimp has to trek across the Sahara desert in order to find a mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
The linked post in comment 2 is a discussion of the exact opposite experience from GeToChKn. Everybody has such different experiences and opinions.
This is why this hobby is great. Everything is still fairly new so there will always be conflicting opinions.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's not so much that opinions conflict but that different things work. We're learning all the time that what we once thought were parameter requirements are really flexible.

Really does make the hobby great.

Finding new ways to achieve the same results (especially when a new way is easier) is my favorite part of it all.