Iron Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
DocG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Having done some research on iron I have a question. The general recommendation is to maintain your iron levels at 0.1 mg/L.

Is this chelated iron or free iron?

The conclusions that I have made based on my reading is that I should be testing for free iron and that I want to make sure that I am getting a colour change indicating that there is iron present and that I shouldn't let it get too much over 0.1 mg/L.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to go?
Onyx Sand and Flourite Substrate 2.5 - 4" deep
Hagen CO2 system
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Georgiagrown
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have done some testing in this area due to the wide range of opinions about the topic. I asked people who I purchased plants from as it seemed to me that if they were good enough at growing plants to sell them, they must know something. I also tried various levels of FE over a couple of months.

My own results found that .5PPM is best for me. In my tank FE is the limiting factor for growth as I have many fast growing plants such as glosso, riccia, and hydrocotyles. I also found that if I overdose FE the only problem is that staghorn algae starts to appear. This is remedied by ceasing iron for a week and then dosing at a lower level.

Note: Results may vary depending on the type of plants you have.

hope this helps