Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer dead?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
darkcrisis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer dead?

I installed my new Up Aqua inline CO2 atomizer and it worked great right after the install. I was running it at about 30psi and there were TONS of tiny bubbles coming from the spray bar.

At night a timer shuts off the CO2 for about 16 hours. It comes back on before the lights turn on.

I came home from work today and after several hours of the CO2 being on there is no mist in the tank and the drop checker is blue.

I started increasing the low end pressure throughout the evening and never saw any bubbles or change in color on the drop checker. Finally the hose blew off the check valve from the pressure (around 50psi) At that point I disconnected the check valve and attached the CO2 tubing (about 3 feet long) directly to the atomizer. Even at 90psi I was getting very little mist.

I plan on going back to my previous method of diffusing CO2 tomorrow since this just isn't working.

I think I got a bad inline atomizer, but what confuses me is that it worked fine before being shut off for several hours. There is a little condensation in the atomizer chamber that the co2 tube connects to if that means anything.

Any thoughts, comments, or experience with this? I probably should have spent the extra few dollars and purchased it from GLA.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Same thing happened to me with mine from GLA. The tubing even blew off as well. It worked great for a week and then stopped. I tried cleaning it and everything. I would like to hear what other say as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

i use an up aqua atomizer for a couple weeks now. works really good. cant say much that would help you. i run it through about 5 feet co2 tubing, 2 cheap check valves, and into an eheim 2215 @ 35-40 psi from a milwaukee regulator. the only time i thought it wasnt working was when my eheim flow cut down to almost nothing because my prefilter was clogged.
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Soak it in bleach for 12-24 hours, then rinse and douse in a cup of water and 10X the normal prime rate, then rinse, air dry and try again.

*edit* realized as I posted that you had an inline diffuser. I *think* you can still use the same method with them, but I've never owned an inline Atomic.

Last edited by kevmo911; 12-29-2012 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: edit
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
darkcrisis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I will give it a bleach soak and see if that helps, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.