My Tank Journal(s) - Rescaping a 125 and 75
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Tank Journal(s) - Rescaping a 125 and 75

When I started my first planted tank a few months ago I had every intention of adding a journal however getting used to caring for plants and fish, starting the journal kept slipping my mind. Now that I'm about to perform some major changes, I wanted to make sure I started a journal as I'm sure I will need some advice and opinions along the way. Nearly everything I have learned about caring for aquarium plants has come from this forum. I've learned a lot, appreciate all the advice and hope I can provide some info to help others along the way.

Here is my 125 gallon (72x18x22) as of today.
FTS
Click image for larger version

Name:	125FTS7-7.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	171201
Right Side

Name:	125Right7-7.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	171217
Left Side

Name:	125Left7-7.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	171209

Equipment
2x Eheim 2217
2x Korilia 425 Power Head
2x Hydor Iinline 200w Heater
Lighting - Finnex Fugeray
DIY Stand
Substrate - Eco Complete (Planted), Playsand (Non Planted)
Rock - River Rock
Manzanita Drift Wood
Backround - Krylon Dover White. Certainly gives off a bluish tint when the acitnics are on.

Plants
Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzeli
Java Fern
Java Fern Needle Leaf
Crypt Balansae
Cyrpt Wendtii Red
Bacopa
Various Vals
Baby Tears Regular
Dwarf Sagittaria
Sagittaria Subulata
Amazon Sword
Melon Sword

Fish
Veiled Angels
Rummy Nose Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Glo Light Tetra
Sterbai Cory
Peppered Cory
2 Long Finned Albino Bushy Nose Pleco
Oto Cats
Ghost Shrimp

Fertilizer
Dosing PPS-Pro Daily per GLA recipe.
Dosing Flourish Excel Daily
Occassional Dose of Flourish Iron

Some observations from the first few months.......
This tank was always meant to be a home for Discus. After monitoring the tank for the last few months I've decided to make some changes to better support Discus care for the long term.

Despite reading how difficult it can be to keep two substrates separated, I gave it a shot and while I'm glad I did and have always liked the scape, you simply cannot avoid the substrates mixing, and just looks messy when it does. My bushy nose plecos are real good about cleaning around the rocks and scattering the Eco Complete onto the sand. Furthermore, my cory cats stay on the Eco Complete and the other fish stay mostly over the play sand. Without the cory's sifting through the playsand it always looks dirty, in my 75 with all playsand, cory's are all over and it usually looks very clean. In addition, the playsand is too fine, any major movement of the sand while cleaning clouds the tank.

I've gotten a GSA outbreak under control by reducing the photo period and increasing Po4. The first sign of GSA is what triggered a full fert regimen. Today, I believe I've got some fuzz algae about beat as well. Seems fighting algae is a lot of trial and error, when the GSA started to come under control, that was one of my prouder moments.

Sooo....... I've bought some nice pool filter sand from a local pool store and tomorrow will be pulling out the Eco Complete (going to the 75) as well as the playsand. I plan on tightening up the scape, hopefully an island type effect with more compact planting, easier to clean substrate, and leaving plenty of swimming space for Discus.

I'll add another post later today/tomorrow with the story behind my 75. It will go through a rescape right after the 125, I don't want the used Eco Complete sitting out without filtration.

Thanks for reading, opinions and advice are encouraged.
joeyNdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

looks nice did u have a light for your background behind the tank?
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

No light behind the tank, just the paint. Chose white for two reasons, some of the backgrounds I've seen on nice aquascapes and the bright background can help pigeon blood Discus from peppering.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Tank looks great, and has inspired me to get off my a** and prep my 100 gallon for a reseal so I can set it back up!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Wow what a job, I knew changing out the substrates in a 125 and 75 all in one day would make for a long morning, afternoon and night but it was well worth it.

Used AquaQuartz Pool filter sand in the 125. I didn't tighten it up as much as I thought I would but feel I left enough open and swimming space for Discus. The angels in this tank will eventually go to the 75 gallon. White background and white sand in my mind might have been a little too much, but now that I look at it I'm glad I did it that way. This is what it looks like as of this morning, sorry just iPhone pics. All the fish are doing well. Probably need to add some plants, make it a little more dense. May be more of a river bed effect moreso than and island as originally planned. I definitely believe this will be easier to maintain than the original scape.

Used all the original plants in the tank minus the baby tears. Also added 3 Bolivian Rams. Had 5 in the 75 gallon, starting to wonder if they are all males with some of the bickering, so decided to spread them out and give them all more space.

Name:	125RescapeFTS7-9.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	172457

Name:	125RescapeMid7-9.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	172465
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyNdana View Post
I've gotten a GSA outbreak under control by reducing the photo period and increasing Po4. The first sign of GSA is what triggered a full fert regimen. Today, I believe I've got some fuzz algae about beat as well. Seems fighting algae is a lot of trial and error, when the GSA started to come under control, that was one of my prouder moments.
You mention fuzz algae.
  • What did you do to get rid of it ?
  • What were your parameters before & after ?
  • You also mention reducing photoperiod & increasing phos. What were these parameters before & after ?
  • What is your lighting situation (type) ?
Thanks !
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Good work on the tanks. I think your separation of the substrate was successful; the pics look good even if you said they mixed a little. Honestly I do like your previous arrangement more so than the latest one ? I feel that the island scape is abit too balanced in the sense that it was clearly designed/placed by humans, whereas the early setup looks natural and the driftwood placement really stretched the tank making it look even longer than it is.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Thanks all. Well I actually didn't do too much testing around the algae issues. I just read some posts in the forum and experimented. Algae started before I got the PPS-Pro frets so I believe lack of nutients was part of the problem. I reduced the lighting (Fugerays) from 8 hours to 6. Nearly doubled the phos in the recipe to start. GSA went away after scraping glass and pruning affected leaves, took a couple weeks to feel like I had it under control.

Fuzz algae, think the process I went through helped, I still see some on older leaves but newer growth looks good. Just keep pruning older growth that was effected.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Xiouzhuang, I agree, I did have some reservations about changing the original layout but I felt it would make it easier to care for discus.

But...............

At the last minute before ordering discus I realized a couple things. First, we really and unexpectedly didn't expect to enjoy the veiled angels we have in this tank so much. Knowing we'd be moving them to another tank was kind of depressing much to our surprise. Secondly, Discus was a challenge I wanted to take on to prove to myself I could do it but when I asked myself honestly, what would I have more FUN doing right now the answer seemed obvious, I would have more fun learning and gaining more experience with planted tanks.

Soooooooo..........

I took the money I was going to buy Discus with and bought a CO2 system from GLA instead. I couldn't be more excited! Everything I've read about Orlando is true, I emailed a few questions about the system and got back some great knowledge and advice I didn't expect to get. Should have it running next week. So I spread the layout back out and will be planting some plants I probably wouldn't have attempted without CO2. Looks a little empty right now but this is the canvas I'll have to work with.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	180762