Plans for first planted tank (input appreciated) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
Is the window screen something that can be attached to a fugeray instead of covering the tank?
Yes, supposedly there is no difference. By some weird chance I happened to have a window screen in a wood frame that almost perfectly fits the top of my tank so I just set it on the tank (it leaves a few inches of space between the top of the water and the screen). But I've been considering growing emersed plants, so I'm pondering how I can put the screen at the light. I have a plexiglass piece that covers the lights so I've been considering putting the screen along with the plexiglass.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
jpalimpsest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

With tanks, I say that bigger is almost always better. In my experience, if you go small, you'll quickly find that you need (okay, want) to upgrade. Fish keeping is an addiction, be prepared
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I bought the 40 breeder and I'm already glad I did!

Now I'm trying to decide between the Eheim 2217 and Fluval 306 for it.

I'll also probably go for the Finnex Fugeray 36" and add a window screen and/or floaters to keep it appropriate for low light, no c02.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Tylt33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
Tylt33: I'd totally go the STS route, but I've really fallen for the black substrate look. I considered using Black Diamond blasting grit, but those fine needles aren't all that appealing to me. I'm going to start looking in to MTS or at least MGOPS. Do you have the Ray2 or a Fugeray, and are you using c02? And is a RO/DI system DIYable? Good to know about the frequent Fluval sales, too! I think they were that price for Black Friday. I only started researching equipment prices just after Thanksgiving, so I'm not familiar with what's a good holiday deal
I have the Fugeray, and I don't use co2. Floating plants can often be had for free from the RAOK section here. RO//DI units are an investment up front, but totally worth it in the long run IMO.
Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Just purchased the Eheim 2217 (for $113) and a 200w Hydor in-line heater (for only $36) from Big Al's with their Christmas pricing and a 10% coupon! I figured the 2217 was only a few dollars more than the Petco Fluval 306 deal, but I wouldn't have to mess around with new hosing or adapters to hook up the heater to the 306.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20l, 29g, low-tech, plans, planted