Loucas6290's First Planted: 36G Bow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
loucas6290
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Loucas6290's First Planted: 36G Bow

CURRENT FTS: FLOODED! Week 1 (Day 1)

How did we get here?

DSM:
Week 1 (Day 1): Hardscape

Week 1(Day 1): Planted

Week 2(Day 8)

Week 3(Day15):

Week 5(Day 31):

Week 10(Day 66):

Week 12(Day 81):

Week 14(Day 92):

Flooded:
Week 1(Day 1):

Set Up:
Tank: All Glass 36 Bow (30"Lx15"Wx21"H)
Lighting: AquaticLife 30" 48W T5HO Dual Lamp 4" above the tank
(1) 24" 24W 650nm Pink Roseate
(1) 24" 24W 6,000K
Filtration: Eheim 2215 Cansiter (12/16mm Tubing)
Heating: 200w 1/2" Hydor ETH In-Line (To Be Ordered)
Finnex Max-300 Digital Heater Controller(To Be Ordered)
Substrate: 40lbs Eco-Complete
9L ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia
CO2: 5G Tank and Milwaukee MA957 Regulator
GLA Inline Atomic Diffuser - 12/16mm
Drop Checker?

Flora:
Lilaeopsis mauritus
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Echinodorus tenellus
Blyxa japonica
Rotala Indica

Fauna:
Trigonostigma heteromorpha
Trigonostigma espei
Boraras brigittae

Last edited by loucas6290; 12-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Update!
loucas6290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice looking rocks.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
loucas6290
Algae Grower

This will be the journal for my first real attempt at a planted tank! I've been spending the past couple months researching parts, saving money and finally ordering. Now that things are starting to come in i figure its time to start the journal. I'm leaning towards doing an iwagumi style tank, but haven't set my heart on anything in particular yet. Also, i've been thinking about doing a dry start method to really get the plants going before i fill up the tank (this build will be an exercise of patience). So without further ado.. here's the tank:

Flora and Fauna are still undecided as well, i have been working in other parts of the forum to start nailing down ideas, and i thank everyone for their input and help thus far.

For hardscaping, the plan is, since i live in STONY POINT, in ROCKLAND COUNTY, i will collect local rocks and try to work out something that i like.
After doing some scouring in my back yard, some scrubbing, rinsing and boiling later, here are the finalists:

i got very excited and did an all rock scape, i'm not really sold. i asked the aquascape section their opinion on it because it felt very empty to me.

Here's where ill apologize to everyone that told me they liked this scape, because i had forgotten about a piece of driftwood i wanted to use:

I tied it to a rock with some zip ties and fishing line to keep it from floating.

I started the scape entirely from scrap, using this piece of driftwood as the focal point, and trying to utilize the rule of thirds.

The first iteration came out like this:

I decided i wanted to pull the wood throughout the scape and make a more coherent flow and more appealing slope from left to right. so what did i do?
Got more rocks and a couple sticks, since what i had wasnt really fitting. When i was out in the woods i saw the look i was looking for:

I then spent the rest of the afternoon tweaking the final scape.
Also, i have purchased some flora and fauna.
So far,
Fauna in QT:
trigonostigma heteromorpha
trigonostigma espei
boraras brigittae
Thinking of some shrimp and otos too.

Flora:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Cryptocoryne Parva
Echinodorus tenellus
thinking of glosso and blyxa japonica as well

Last edited by loucas6290; 10-31-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: update!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
nerdariostomp
Planted Member

That is beautiful! Very nice! Can't wait to see the progress
nerdariostomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
loucas6290
Algae Grower

This weekend i have had a ton of time on my hands and have been a very busy beaver.
Here is the final hardscape:

Its not much different from yesterday, but i added a couple more "roots" on the right to give a more coherent feel to the entire scape. Im finally content with the way it looks. so bear with me as i attempt to get artsy with it.

As soon as i finished with the hardscape i could barely contain myself and had to start planting for my Dry Start.

I started with cryptocoryne parva. im not sold on this plant yet, but im going to give it a chance and see if it can impress me.

Hemianthus callitrichoides: its not the greatest pot ive ever bought but it will do.

Lilaeopsis mauritius: very tall! had to give it a hair cut before it went into the tank. not sure if i want it in there yet either, but i decided to make it a midground to echinodorus tenellus and the HC and will see how that goes.

echinodorus tenellus: very small... LFS said it melted and was doing better with emmersed growth

But after a couple hours of calculated "this looks good... HERE!" the planting is done for right now.

im leaving room for some blyxa japonica in the back behind the driftwood and glosso in the very foreground. But until then we will let these guys get settled. Im also thinking of using the blyxa as an accent around the driftwood "roots". what do you guys think?

Last edited by loucas6290; 09-27-2012 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: update!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
KGsPFT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks nice!
Eheim Pimp #513 (Classic 2217 and ECCO 2234)
My 20L
KGsPFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

So far this tank is looking to be a very solid and beautiful tank. Are you planning on using stems to put behind the stump? Also what are your plans for stocking the tank? Very good work and I hope to see more.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
loucas6290
Algae Grower

Thanks for the positive words! I am definetely thinking about stems, but nothing has caught my eye yet, and im ordering blyxa japonica from the LFS but i have no idea when they will be getting it in. If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it very much.

As far as stocking i was thinking rasboras. Someone stop me if this sounds dumb but i've got 8 trigonostigma heteromorpha in one tank. from msjynxd's inverts (who was awesome to order from) i just got 5 trigonostigma espei and 7 boraras brigittae. i was thinking of adding them all, seeing if i could get a very dynamic school of rasboras.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sounds good but I would add.more of each ten add some fish for the bottom. Also a few plants you might like are rotala and alternthera which would look great with the current setup.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
loucas6290
Algae Grower

Yeah, i definitely want to increase the stock, but until i get the tank up and running i dont know if i have the capacity to grow them out/QT any more. Ill have some time while im doing the DSM. Can you grow stem plants in a DSM? I really like the rotala and have to pick some of it up ASAP.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Usually you can't grow stem plants DSM but I have never done it but there are plenty of people here who do know.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #12
Dave6265
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice start... I think the 36 Bows have great dimensions for creative scaping.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
loucas6290
Algae Grower

Default Week 2 Update

So its been about a week since i started the DSM, and everything seems to be going alright. after doing alot of research it seems pretty important to monitor the humidity, so that mold and other nasty things dont start growing. On Thursday the LFS got in some glosso, and i picked up two pots and planted it in the forground, and amongst the crypt parva.

I don't see much difference in anything yet. what i've gathered from the vast knowledge of the internet, is that the HC will work on its root system for the first two weeks, so i will patiently watch it, and make sure its gaining green and staying strong. The glosso has already oriented itself towards the light. i don't know when i should start trimming it, but i don't think it can hurt to wait it out.

I cant wait to see serious carpeting! But this is a serious test of my limited patience.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
NQuaday
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great looking setup so far! Love the wood. Keep the updates coming.
NQuaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
loucas6290
Algae Grower

To add a little bit of a teaser i finally got a half way decent picture of the boraras brigittae. by no means am i anyone who should be talking of high clarity pictures or "macros?" but im starting to figure my way around a camera. This little guy is maybe half an inch long, and since i got them a week ago have started to regain their color nicely!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.