5.5 gallon Fissiden Tree
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

5.5 gallon Fissiden Tree

I won a RAOK not too long ago and had plans for it but due to the holidays i never got to do what i wanted. Since then i had a few ideas, this was what i thought would be best. I had a spare 5.5 gallon tank laying around collecting dust and a really cool piece of driftwood that just didnt look right in my other larger tanks..... the 2 together are perfect !
I like the look of simple tanks so i decided im not going to overcrowd this tank, a simple "tree" like focal point will be the only thing in this tank.
I started by mixing the Fissiden with some tank water and placed them together in a food blender, mixed it for a few mins and then literally placed it on the driftwood and pressed down. I then sprayed , again with tank water and covered with saran wrap. I did have a little leftover so i decided to put the rest on a rock and then move the rock at a later date to another tank. The light im using is a 48" T8 fixture which is kept under my 125 gallon, growing HC & Glosso so the light is long enough to cover both tanks. I will keep this journal updated on a weekly basis to cover the growth progress.

5.5 gallon all glass aquarium
pool filter sand
driftwood
fissiden fontanus
48" T8 light fixture

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the idea. Any thoughts on livestock?

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg
OrangeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

i hope your fissidens anchor on to the wood properly. ive read the blender trick working on terrestial moss but never on fissidens in an aquatic setting.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

I don't have any plans for livestock at the moment , it's more an experiment and keeping the fissiden alive right now. It will probably turn out to be a endlers fry grow up tank or cherry shrimp tank.
I've heard mixed reviews about it anchoring to porous stone and some wood. I figured I would try it and see . I only used half the portion I recieved so no biggie if it doesn't work. I thought by starting a journal it would show others it either can or cannot be done .

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

The moss should anchor if kept wet enough. Fissidens grabs onto wood really well. The stone might take longer though, depending on how rough the surface is.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Well the fissiden has anchored ! At 1st everytime i sprayed, little bits would come off but after only a few days it stopped . The picture doesnt do it justice but up close you can see tiny new fresh green growth. I didnt expect it to start so quickly, maybe in 2 months i will have a tree !

Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

it works wonders fissiden blended..tried and tested in lot of my scapes till date all it needs is 2-3 weeks of DSM

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Update (4 weeks)

Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Update - 5 weeks

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

nice job.

fun with fiss!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Yes, i think Fiss is my favourite now !
I wish i had your touch on this plant though.... that Tree would be exploding with growth ;-)

Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

It's amazing how good that new growth looks.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

I love that trick. Glad more people are using it!
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote