ID this rock?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

ID this rock?

I've had this rock in my yard since we moved in over a decade ago. Some of the larger flat rock (shale?) , I've had in my tank for a couple years with no perceivable I'll effects. The other marbled ones, I'm afraid might have more mineralization. Almost look like petrified... Something. Haven't tried vinegar or h2o2 yet as it's still wet from getting hosed off. All seem pretty hard though. Anyone have any idea what they might be or if they might be dangerous? Appreciate any insight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370577058012.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	155233
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370577093358.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	155241

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

No idea what the makeup of the darker part of that rock is. The lighter part looks like a vein of something... possibly quartz? (I figure odds are it's either quartz or calcite, but I think quartz is more likely). Try scratching it with a nail/knife point. If steel can scratch it, it's probably calcite. If it won't scratch, it's probably quartz.

Calcite will raise pH and hardness, quartz is inert.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

The white part seems to be quartz then, unable to scratch it with a steel dental pick, so that's good. Black part scratches pretty easily. Will have to figure out what that part is... Good info lochaber, thank you.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
xj4low
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bottom right rock is Quartz. The white and glass in it is from mild crystallization. If you see any deep red in there, that would indicate a higher iron content and the red is oxidation (aka rust). Sometimes you might find the quartz crystals in pink (rose quartz) and is a bit more rare. I would think the quartz is aquarium safe since you can get quartz sand but depends on what else is mixed in (ground up quartz).

I think the rocks on the left are slate and not shale. Difference being slate is compressed more and harder. Shale is more brittle and not as uniform in texture (will have smaller rocks mixed in). Also safe for aquarium as you already know.

Last on in the upper rt. I'm not sure from the pic. You guess of fossilized wood sounds accurate.
xj4low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

Xj4, thanks for the input. Encouraging. Now... to decide if it will work aesthetically ... The hardest part. Lop

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd say also quartz
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.