Neo Questions - Breeding & Feeding
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Neo Questions - Breeding & Feeding

Breeding - What is the timeline from saddled to berried to birth? I have several young saddled females, and I'm dying to know how long until I should expect to see them berried. I've searched and haven't found a good timeline yet.

Feeding - What are the nutritional requirements? I've thought about making my own foods for them, and I'm wondering what would make some good ingredients aside from veggies such as zucchini. What about protein? Or a good calcium source? Are there any ingredients I should avoid?
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Avoid any veggies that are not labeled organic. As far as additional food, you can feed anything from algae washers to Hikari crab bites to the hundreds (seemingly) of shrimp specific products.

As fat as a timeline goes for saddled to berried, there is no answer. After the females molt, the males will try to mate with them. Once this has happened the females will become berried. Once they are berried, they will carry the eggs for approximately 30 days.

Last edited by 82nd_Airborne; 03-03-2013 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: hit submit on accident
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What I observed with mine is that breeding, as the saddle will remain there if there is no actual "copulation", can be induced with high protein food. Try once or twice in a week to give them some frozen food like brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms. Be weary on doing that if your filtration is not proper sized as high protein food means high ammonia when it decomposes and your could end up hurting your shrimp.

Also, homemade food can be easy to make if you have some key ingredients. Any veggie can be served if your can turn it into a fine powder and make it into a jello.

Mustard flour, hemp flour, yeast, stinging nettle tea, spinach, spirulina, krill, gammarus. All can be mixed and bound with honey or vegan gelatin.

Most of the raw ingredients good for shrimp can be found at your local pet-shop but in another section, dedicated to rodents. Barley pellets, peas, beet, dried leaves treats for bunnies, mineral stones for birds. These raw materials provide to rodents and birds the same ingredients crustaceans need to build their shell.

Of course, commercial shrimp food is better as it contains the right ratios of ingredients. But if you don't have any available to you, homemade can be better than plain fish food anytime.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I use organic baby food. Mix it, dehydrate it, feed it to the shrimp. They love it. Or if you want easy...get some Repashy or some of somewhatshocked's offerings.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Neo Questions - Breeding & Feeding

Jakes om Nom Noms are good foods, cheap.

Also h4n carries a lot of high end foods and can send you a sampler of many kinds for cheap.

Blanched spinach is awesome, crushing a snail against the glass is awesome too!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone :-)

I live in BFE Missouri, so the LFS has only Hikari Algae Wafers and TetraVeggie. I have a small sample of food that came with my PFRs, but it won't last forever.

I grow many of my own veggies during the summer, and suspect I could do them one better than Algae Discs. Just wasn't sure how to get the Calcium and Protein into it.

I keep Walter Worms for my guppies, I suspect they would be a good high protein source that wouldn't be as much of a pain as brine shrimp or hard on the water quality as bloodworms.

It's good to know that the mineral blocks designed for birds are safe, ("Always double check the ingredients") :-)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

The mineral stones do not have anything more than Calcium carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, sea shell powder and some trace minerals. There's nothing in it as long as it's white in color.

Algae wafers are good but they are far from a complete food. They are designed for algae eating fish like Otocinclus, Plecostomus, Ancistrus. Shrimp will eat them but they also need more minerals than what those wafers provide.

Mustard, kale, spinach, stinging nettle contain more Calcium than any algae wafers. And those can be found at the veggie market or grow some yourself. Blanch the fresh leaves for a couple of minutes and drop them in. Parsley is also good for Calcium and Vitamin C.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Daniel!

I'm thinking Soy Beans (for protein), Spinach, a bit of ground up mineral stone, and a few other things from my garden this summer. Should be able to grow and make enough to get through next winter, with plenty to spare. I have a plan!

Thanks everyone :-)