my tiny mystery baby!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

my tiny mystery baby!

Last week I moved all my Taiwan shrimps out of my 3ft planted tank into a smaller one hopefully for them to breed some more. So no shrimps were left in the planted tank. I popped a couple of young CPOs in it to let them have more room to grow, and with a lot of plants/moss they could stay out of one anothers reach.

This am I re-planted a small anubias at the front of the tank so it would get more light. When I was checking the tank later on, I see a juvie CBS. Its got 3 bands of white on it... I don't have ANY CBS of breedable age and the ones I do have are all SSS...so where did this baby come from???

My theory and its just a theory, is that this could possibly be one of my CWB (crystal white bee) shrimp's babies! I never did see her drop any in my planted tank (only found her empty about a week later)

I looked everwhere in that tank for baby shrimps, but Nada! I am wondering now if this is one of hers from a Mischling (I thought the male CWB was the Daddy)

I have only one Black Mischling and its a male.

If this is correct and they have been hiding all along, maybe now that the tank is empty and the CPOs are roaming around, they are being forced out of hiding...could there be more of them

Here's a couple of pics of the baby getting checked out by the bigger Taiwans. I couldn't leave it in the tank for the CPOs to harass.

pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

you never cease to amaze me.... beautiful shimps!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I managed to somehow move over multiple mini CBS when I moved my Taiwans to their new tank. They must have been newly hatched, as I didn't notice any babies in the holding tank the Taiwans were in until the next day. They seem to be doing well in the new tank though, which gives me hope for the survival of the ones my BKK is carrying right now.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

A grade Cbs can come from CRS or cbs of any grade, Goldens, mischlings, etc. Etc.

You move your shrimp around so often, I don't doubt it was from something like that.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Crystal white bee?
PM me answers.
Awesome shrimp!
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yes I do move my shrimps around, however I didn't have any CBS in this tank, other than the one Mischling black and NO female regular Crystal shrimps! I watch my tanks every day for signs of females being berried, and I count my shrimps to make sure everyone is accounted for in case I lose one or two (lost a red one a while back)

Here's the count 5 x BB, 5 x BKK, 3 x WR, 2 x CWB, 1 x Snow white and 1 black Mischling which I kept back after I sold off the other Mischlings back in the fall. Most of the above are all males. I have about 5 females (not sure about the 2 WR as its hard to tell with those two)

Only 3 females were ever berried since August when I put them in this tank. BKK, BB, and the CWB. Both BB and BKK mammas were put back after having their babies and neither one is berried again yet! Reason I moved them as I hoped the move would jump start them again (just seen a couple of molts this week already)

I put the CWB back into the tank before she released the eggs because I was afraid she might die in the breeder box, she didn't like it and kept trying to climb out...didn't want to lose her as I only have a pair of them.

She was still berried when I put her back in about a couple of days before her due date. Next time I saw her (about a week or so later) she was empty. Never found or saw any baby shrimps, and I haven't had any babies born or females berried in my high grade CRS/CBS tank across the room from this one, they're all too old and haven't been moved for months.

this baby is a mystery....Im hoping I find more of them, but maybe there is/was only one. Its about the same size age as my BKK babies so this is why I am thinking its probably one of the CWBs.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

If your mischling male or golden male mated with one of your taiwan bees ever, a cbs would pop out guaranteed.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.