Brightwell aquatics
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
plantman2465
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Brightwell aquatics

Has anyone tried the brightwell aquatics line of plant ferts yet?
plantman2465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm sure their basic nutrient products are fine. For example, their iron supplement will contain iron, and will work indistiguishably from any other iron supplement.

However, they also have some "magic" products. Like FlorixAxis, claimed to supplement carbon, but containing no glutaraldehyde. I had the opportunity to get a bottle on clearance for $2, so I did just out of curiosity; though I expected nothing. And that's exactly what I got. No effect whatsoever even at triple dose, in a variety of low and high tech tanks.

Yet a very small number of people swear by it. Rather than doubt their results, I think perhaps they had a micronutrient deficiency that was addressed by the humic acid component, rather than it being an effective carbon supplement.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Hi plantman2465,

Chris Brightwell was in Seattle the end of November but failed to confirm a tentative meeting to discuss the planted aquarium products. I am not aware of any GSAS members currently using the products.

I just reviewed the ingredients in the nitrogen and phosphorus products. Brightwell uses NaNO3 (sodium nitrate) as the inorganic nitrogen source in their FlorinGro product. I prefer KNO3 (potassium nitrate) as a source of nitrogen due to the greater uptake of nitrogen using potassium (K) as the cation verses sodium (Na). Tests seem to confirm that KNO3 results in greater PEP carboxylase activity (basically carbon fixation) in shoots than does NaNO3.

Florin-P, the Brightwell phosphate product, uses potassium diphosphate (K2HPO4) one of the two common sources of orthophosphates (H2PO4- and HPO42-). I prefer monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) since it is the most common source of phosphorus found in acidic conditions and I tend to keep my planted aquariums at a PH below 7.0.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
plantman2465
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default info

Thanks for the info guys points taken. Will do more research on diy ferts
plantman2465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Jester946
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sorry to bump an old thread,

Where would one find out the related dosing for EI and brightwell products?
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (401/100%)

You'd have to know what the PPM were per, say, mL of Brightwell product.

Would be far cheaper to buy your own dry ferts and mix with RO/DI water. Otherwise, you're paying for water with the Brightwell product.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Jester946
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

Would be far cheaper to buy your own dry ferts and mix with RO/DI water. Otherwise, you're paying for water with the Brightwell product.
yea, I may end up doing this.

I followed dosing instructions on the Nitrogen source, and then tested with my API kit within the hour...and didn't get a reading. Brightwell says I should have read at at least 17.5ppm....but I got a zero reading.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Jester946
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

yea, I may end up doing this.

I followed dosing instructions on the Nitrogen source, and then tested with my API kit within the hour...and didn't get a reading. Brightwell says I should have read at at least 17.5ppm....but I got a zero reading. I just emailed brightwell, and look forward to a response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.