Dry Dosing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
OldGrumpy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dry Dosing

This may be (probably is) a stupid question, but its been some time since chemistry class.

I plan to start dry dosing my tank (moving from liquid ferts). Is there any reason, if I got one of those 7 day vitamin plastic doo-dads, that I couldn't premix the macros each week and then just dump that day's dose into the tank when the time comes? (micros obviously don't need mixing, but I could premeasure them out as well)
OldGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
treckel
Algae Grower

This is exactly what I do. Works great

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
treckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

That is exactly what I do but I don't mix them, just measure into whatever small covered container you decide to use and dump one out each day. I dump into the overflow box currently. Some dump the powders directly into the tank but fish are curious so most mix in some water before dumping or if you are using an HOB filter can dump into that.

Check the lids for fit. It is really annoying when they don't fit well and you get powdered fertilizer going in when you didn't mean it to go in.

I started with a dollar store pill container [lots of dribbling and a bit small for my tank's needs], moved to a screw top set [expensive and a bit too small for my big tanks' needs] and am currently using a set of individual containers meant for salad dressing I think I found at a thrift store [I can get the days mixed up and the lids do pop off if I don't watch it]. Look at craft stores too. They sell racks of connected small containers meant for small amounts of paint.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Old 35 mm film canisters are good, too. Tight lid.

Daily pill doser works just fine, though. You sure could load it with alternating days worth of macros and micros.

When I went on vacation I left Coffeemate cups of food for the fish. These will not work for fertilizer. No lid. For fish food they nested OK to keep it from spilling, but it did get a bit soft from the humidity.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

That's what I do. I got these really neat ones at Joann's (was there with my wife) that actually lock with a central locking device so there is no way for the others to pop open while I'm dumping the one.

Google Craftmates Lockables to see what I'm talking about. I got one with 14 compartments for my ferts (only have to measure every 2 weeks) and one with 7 compartments for fish food (when I travel so the wife can feed them). Great idea!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote