Last dose of meds with no improvement (large pics) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yah don't sterilize the tank. Bacteria don't live free swimming very well unlike viral particles.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Sad to hear he passed away. Please do keep a close eye on the others in the tank, hopefully they are tougher and won't get sick.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Everyone came out to visit today for the water change. Still no signs of any problems on anyone else including the other Hillstream. The fish that passed has been out of the main tank for a week now.

I had already bleached, rinsed, and then soaked everything in a tub with water treated with a ridiculous amount of Prime to make sure all the bleach was neutralized. Better safe than sorry I suppose. I've never had anything like this happen in the year and a half I've had these tanks up and running so I'd like not to have this happen again.

I am a little nervous to start dosing ferts again since that's the only thing I've done different lately other than the non blanched veggie. I know it shouldn't have anything to do with what happened but still makes me nervous.

I'll be keeping an eye on everyone like I normally do. It seems like this was an out of the blue, random occurrence. Here's hoping.
Jayme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #19
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
Next time I'd focus on diagnosis more and sticking to one medicine only.
Well I read everything I could find on illnesses, and poured over picture after picture, for an entire day and couldn't find anything that matched the symptoms exactly so I took the recommendations that others had on treating "unknown" infections that had at least one of the symptoms and treated accordingly with Maracyn and Maracyn Two, which is also recommended here for septicemia http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/septicemia-infection/ I knew I didn't have several days to try and get an answer about the exact problem, the fish would have likely died by then.

If this happens again I now know I need to attempt to medicate the food as well as the water, and perhaps try a stronger medication, although with a sensitive fish it might have done more harm than good.
Jayme is online now   Reply With Quote