Setting up flourite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
t2dxk0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Setting up flourite

Hello all, The first time I tried to set up flourite didn't go so well.

I had to drain the tank and take out the flourite.

So I googled and searched and this time I'm going to rinse it in a bucket until it runs clear and add the water very slowly and hopefully avoid getting a 30 gallon mud puddle.

Anyone have any last minute tips before I give it a try?

Thanks a lot!
t2dxk0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

RINSE TILL ur water bill reaches 100000 dollars

otherwise, if u dont rinse it will eventually settle or get picked up by the mechanical media

the longer and better u rinse though, the better ur chances of not having cloudy water
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I found it much easier to rinse in small batches than large; small batches are easier to get thorough agitation so as much is suspended in the waste water as possible before it's poured off.

A big cat litter box worked well for me. Doesn't have to be tipped as far as a high bucket so it's easier to get more water out on each rinse and the broad base spreads the flourite out so it's easy to get the entire mass agitated on each rinse. Easier to see how clear the water is getting as well, not being in a deep light sink like you get in a bucket.

Bucket's still handy--use it to hold the batches as you finish rinsing 'em.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
t2dxk0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sounds like a plan. I've got an unused cat box and I'll rinse, more rinsing is better. I'm glad I asked. Thanks a lot guys.
t2dxk0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
thenameless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

yeah small batches are the best. i had to rinse 2 and a half bags of flourite but there was no cloudy water at all!!!
Member:Eheim Pimp Club Member #497 Classic 2213
My Kribensis fry thread
Apistogramma agassizi breeding
LOST DISCIPLE a lil song for everybody who enjoys nature
thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I never rinse my flourite and never had a problem. The key is a slow fill. I use a bucket and an airline tubing to siphon water into the tank. Sure it takes a while, but it's still faster than spending 2 days or more trying to wash the stuff out and/or having a cloudy mess in the tank.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

This video shows you the easiest way there is to install substrate without the mess. He's using a 1 liter but I've used 3 liter bottles and even the big iced tea ones like Arizona. The key is to be ready when the bottle empties to cap it off with your hands. This works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've done several tanks now with the stuff--and will always choose to rinse. Not necessarily crystal clear rinsing, but at least knocking the dust back a significant amount.

My first time using it, I didn't rinse, was super careful filling and wondered why there was such a fuss about it. Right up until I did a major re-scape that involved pulling up major root systems. Took massive water changes, filter cleanings and close to a week to get the water clear again.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
This video shows you the easiest way there is to install substrate without the mess. He's using a 1 liter but I've used 3 liter bottles and even the big iced tea ones like Arizona. The key is to be ready when the bottle empties to cap it off with your hands. This works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8
This is by far the easiest and quickest way. Ive done it to all my tanks and never had a problem.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.