anyone use a Reactor 1000 by Aquamedic, any good?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-01-2003, 06:24 AM   #1
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was thinking of getting one of these reactors, saw a great package deal for a regulator , controller, and one of the Reactor 1000's included. I like the idea of an external reactor. The less equipment I have to conceal in my tank the better. I have an Eheim 2213 filter and was thinking I could install it on the return line to the tank. I thought that a reactor could possibly restrict the flow of a filter doing this but this reactor is suppose to be made for a very large tank so it's flow capacity must be good and maybe would be fine with my filter. Has anyone tried doing this? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have a reactor 1000 installed on my 75gal. It's probably the best inline reactor you can buy. The inline reactor will slow the output of the filter slightly. So make sure the Eheim is not overburdened with too much filter media. It runs so flawlesly that it's one of those pieces of equipment I forget about.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Marcel,

Can you post a pic of your setup...with the filter and the reactor? Would love to see how you have it seeing that mine will be assembled here in a few days...much appreciated!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

OK heres a pic of the reactor setup behind the stand. Its not pretty.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Just noticed the kink in the hose off the filter. Better fix that now. :shock:
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 08-02-2003, 05:03 AM   #6
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got 2 of them on different tank hooked to the output of Eheim 2028's. They are 100% efficient and like Marcel said, you can forget about them once set up.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marcel....

I noticed that you have the reactor inlet on the top "blowing" down to the bottom...aka...the water from the filstar enters the top of the reactor and moves down to the bottom of it then goes up in the hose to the tank...

Why have you set it up this way as opposed to injecting the water from the bottom and have it go straight up to the tank?

Mike

Old 08-02-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The bubbles of CO2 naturally go up, so you need some opposing force to keep them in the reactor, which is the water pushing it down...

One more question, would you be able to install this on, lets say a rio 600 or something? I have a powerhead reactor now, but I don't think it is very efficient...

-Tim
Old 08-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Schala
Algae Grower

What do you consider "overburdened" with media? I am going to hook one up to my XP3 but I don't want it to have to strain or anything.

Also, where would I go to get more tubing to hook to the other side of the reactor?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #10
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Schala,

Not knowing where you are at but Lowes Home Improvement will sell tubing for your setup. Its in the Plumbing section. Comes on rolls you can have them cut you a few feet off for a couple of bucks.

Mike

Old 08-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #11
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Mike : Tim answered your question.

Tim: If it pushes at least 200GPM+ it'll run the Reactor 1000.

Schalaon't stuff it with filter floss, and make sure your media stays fairly clean, I've found that the micron filtration pad that comes with the filter can slow it down considerably after a couple of days because it clogs up quick. You can get the tubing at home depot , or a plumbing supply house but I've found that some of the tubing at home depot has rather thin sidewalls which will allow it to kink. The LFS also has tubing, but you'll probably pay a little more.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #12
Resplendens
Algae Grower

I'm setting up a 58gal plant tank and am planning on running the Reactor 1000. The problem is that I would like to run about 150gph through it. Will the Reactor still preform adequetly at this flow rate? I know the manufacturer recommends 250gph.
Resplendens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2003, 09:53 PM   #13
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think you'll have a problem in that sized tank. The only thing that could happen is that you feed co2 into the reactor faster than it can be dissolved and carried into the tank. With a 58 gal. tank, I doubt you'll be putting co2 in that fast.

I'd also like to add that the reactor 1000 will decrease your flow rate somewhat so if your filter/pump is rated at 150 gal. then your final rate will be somewhat less. Mat just have to try and see what happens.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2003, 06:13 AM   #14
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marcel...

I FINALLY got the controller, regulator, reactor set up. Pain in the butt wish FILSTAR provided more tubing...LOL.

On a different note....how much circulation to you have in the tank. The reason I ask is because if I were to run the filstar wide open it pushes 350 GPM..roughly...that is toooo much current I feel in the tank. How much are your plants moving.

Also if you were to run it at full bore or even reduced slightly can you be sure you are getting the 250 GPH the 1000 recommends?

How many bubbles of co2 per min are you using when the controller is operating and the solenoid is on?

Thanks a bunch....

Mike

Old 08-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I run my Filstar wide open on a 55 gallon tank and have a power head for additional water circulation. So I say just let her rip. There is no way IMHO that a Filstar attached to a reactor is going to cause current problems in a 100 gallon tank.

As for the tubing I managed to do it by carefully cutting the tubing and using a 5/8" splice and splicing the tubing together.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.