Few of my works - new tank planted - page 6 - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #91
zico_aqua
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

There was a mix of xmas, weeping and riccardia species in there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #92
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Few of my works
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #93
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Something new after a long time :-)

Few of my works
Old 08-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #94
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just got an email that you have been updating. Wow man, very impressive. It is so nice to have people like you around sharing your creativity with us all. Thanks and keep going. Hope all is well with you and the Dr.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #95
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tanks are amazing!

Can I pick your brain?

How did you get the plants in the rocks in post 82? What are the plants? Now that I'm finished my first scape, I want to build a tank roughly 18x18x18" for an underwater waterfall coming from a mountainside with a few interspersed plants.

How do you keep the black and white sands/gravel separated?

Do you silicone the rocks together to build mountains?

Thanks for helping a newbie. I wish I could have as many tanks as you do! LOL
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 AM   #96
zico_aqua
Planted Member

@enginechauffer - thank you buddy..:-) work life has been extremely busy..with me travelling like super crazy..especially internationally to chicago..so had a tight schedule..its reduced now atleast upto next year so relaxed and getting back slowly :-) yes..she's fine too..infact schedule will get busier again a bit since wedding preps are starting up slowly..june 2 nd is the date for a big fat cross culture Indian wedding :-)

Few of my works
Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 AM   #97
zico_aqua
Planted Member

@kntry - thank you :-)

Actually the rocks were attached in such a way that i kept tiny holes in them for rhizome plants to go in :-) the plants in there are java fern 'mini', anubias with riccardia sp. 'India' growing in from the rocks.

The scape idea you are planning is really nice and it does add a charm to the diorama layout style..will look forward to the project. Getting back - there are 2-3 ways by which you can stick the rocks togather

1) use a hot glue gun
2) use industrial grade epoxy putty or adhresive
3) use silicone

If you have a porous hardscape material like lava rocks your best and easiest bet is using hot glue gun..mind you - you have to be very generous while application :-) for any material irrespective of porosity you can either use epoxy putty or epoxy adhesive. Putty is a tad cheaper alternative and imo a better cementing material. Silicone i seldom use only for extremely small hardscape materials plus silicone takes a lot of time to adhere to hardscape. Note - if you are using either of the three methods to create a mountain..make sure after your hard scape is ready(wait for everything to dryoff first) that you fill the tank up without plants and run a power head after fill up for one week with water change every day to all most 100%. This way the chemical leaching in the water from the glue/gum gets reduced effectively and causes less issues when planted and filled with water.

There are a lot of ways by which one can separate sand to soil

1) use hardscape like rocks to separate
2) use some thin clear acrylic

If i need to keep sand separated from mixing say in a slope..i'll let you know of a trick that i do..wet the sand so that its kinda sticky..place a thin layer on the slope area where you want to place it on top apply a few drops of any 'cyano acrylite glue' this is completely harmless the moment it dries..and it dries in seconds(wear a gloves while using this..it can stick skin togather) once done re apply the above steps till the time you are satisfied with the layer coat. Let me know if i can help any further with your project will be glad to do so. :-)

Adding a picture of the same process as i described above to give you an idea how it looks like..since the sand on the slope is rock solid..any soil thayt rolls on top can be easily siphoned during water change. The inspiration was a painting from deviantart website and the tank is my execution trying to bring the art alive (litterally) :-) this is another new tank just started a month back.

Few of my works
Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #98
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! I hope you post pics.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I'm not quite sure about the super glue though. Are you actually gluing the entire sand slope together so it's a solid mass?

I didn't think about using a clear divider. I used black and it's visible. I'm waiting for the plants to cover it up. Here's a pic of what I did. The fish, shrimp and snails keep mixing the two substrates together. The tank is only 5 months old and I've already removed the top 1/2" layer and replaced it because there was so much black mixed in. Any solution since the tank already has water in it?

It's hard to see in the pic but if you look at the front of the tank, you can see all the black being mixed in with the white sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-19-14.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	363737  

Old 08-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #99
zico_aqua
Planted Member

I'll give you the easiest solution to this soil mixing - try to get some crumbled rock granules from a dirted area make sure there is no tar..and place it on both sides of the sand..that way the path will look natural and at the same time will mix the black color as if its blended togather. :-) plants will grow over it give it time it'll get phased out :-)

Yes i glue the sand slope that way it stays and doesnt get dirty a lot like loose sand. And honestly from the pic..the soil mix does not look bad trust me gives a good transition if you ask me.

Thank you about the wedding i dont think i'll post pics here but if you are really interested in seeing pics shoot me a friend request on facebook :-) name to search me by is Abhradip Choudhuri :-)

Btw - heres a pic from our engagement from March just to introduce my fiance to you :-)

Few of my works
Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #100
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Btw question - what is the white thing in the left middle? And i looove the tank..such lush plant growth!!

Few of my works
Old 08-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #101
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your fiance is beautiful. Congrats!

It is a mermaid that a friend made for me. I'm going to have to raise her up some. The plants are taking over and you can barely see her now.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #102
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Ahh..that looks cute :-) and thank you will pass on the compliment to her :-)

Few of my works
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #103
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am aware of dividers and hardscape materials for separating sand but using super glue is a genius idea. I would have never considered super glue for slopes. I know a lot of people use it for gluing plants to hardscape items and for the hardscape itself but not on the substrate. Super glue is harmless once dried as mentioned. In the old days, it was used in lieu of stitches.

Congrats to you too. You two make an awesome couple. She is an attractive woman whom just happens to have made something of herself.

Kntry, love the tank pic.

Zico, on your backlighting. Are you using foam core with colored lighting, colored foam core with white lighting or are you painting your tank and using white lighting. I am toying around with using opaque and tranluscent glass acrylic paint and stained glass paint with white led lighting strips that can change colors. Next I will be toying around with foam core and colored foam core to get some different looks with my led strips.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #104
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Foam core is a good idea but a headache to be honest..i keep it simple..the backdrop of the tank comprises of the plastic fish bag(big ones) stuck from around the edges via cellotape. And at the bottom i keep a 6500k or above light thats it. The plastic gives a matt finish to the light. For yellow color back drop for cube tanks i use a 15w yellow night lamp for bigger tanks i use yellow colored paper towels of various thickness by folding them to provide different colour hues. Hope it helps.

Will pass on the compliments again :-) thanks

Few of my works
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #105
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

Where do you find enough super glue to glue the sand? I've only found it in small bottles with pin hole openings.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected - Underwater Waterfall is next