Frozen foods
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Frozen foods

What is your preferred method of feeding frozen foods? I usually just pop them straight out of the freezer in to the tank. Wondering if anyone has input on whether its better to thaw them or not.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
RoseTyler
Planted Member

I just pop the portion of frozen food I'm going to feed into the tank, my angels get at it first and as soon as it gets to filter it distributes the food all over the tank.
RoseTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

The only food I would feed without rinsing is Hikari products. They are just well prepared foods. I use LOTS of frozen bloodworms and buy large 2.2 pound blocks. They get thawed and rinsed before feeding.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
RoseTyler
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
The only food I would feed without rinsing is Hikari products. They are just well prepared foods. I use LOTS of frozen bloodworms and buy large 2.2 pound blocks. They get thawed and rinsed before feeding.
I started only using Hikari frozen products after noticing an immediate change in my fish after feeding them Hikari frozen bloodworms for the first time. Literally over night, they became more active, colors brightened...

I feed them frozen bloodworms every day now, except for one day where I feed them pellets.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
RexDart
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I only buy Hikari. I don't rinse, but I thaw the stuff first & only add the food material to the tank.. thawed liquids go down the drain. I don't own enough aquatic critters to finish an entire cube anyways.
RexDart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I only use Hikari bloodworms as my frozen. I let them thaw to room temperature prior to dropping them in the tank. They spread thru out the tank much better to reach my cories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTyler View Post
I started only using Hikari frozen products after noticing an immediate change in my fish after feeding them Hikari frozen bloodworms for the first time. Literally over night, they became more active, colors brightened...

I feed them frozen bloodworms every day now, except for one day where I feed them pellets.
Feeding bloodworms daily is not a good idea. It should be used as a treat like 1-2 times per week. Too much protein will bloat or constipate the fish. They will consume what ever you put in the tank because their eyes are bigger than their brains. They can literally eat themselves to death.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
Squrl888
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Feeding bloodworms daily is not a good idea. It should be used as a treat like 1-2 times per week. Too much protein will bloat or constipate the fish. They will consume what ever you put in the tank because their eyes are bigger than their brains. They can literally eat themselves to death.
Hey man, I don't think I'm much different
Squrl888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
LynneS22
Algae Grower

Quote:
I only use Hikari bloodworms as my frozen. I let them thaw to room temperature prior to dropping them in the tank. They spread thru out the tank much better to reach my cories.

LOL, well, don't tell my loaches that! That's all they have eaten as a mainstay for 3 years.
My Toys; 100 gal. Clown Loach tank, 40 breeder community tank, 7.5 Celestial Danio, Pygmy Cories, and Ember Tetra tank, 5 gal. Red Crystal, Black Crystal, and Cherry Shrimp Tank. 300 gallon formal water lily pond, 150 gal. pond. Dozens of Nerites.
LynneS22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Clear Water
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thaw my in a cup it mush easier for me to pour the food in the tank. I have never had issues of feeding bloodworms. I feed bloodworms every other day and brine and mysis shrimp every other day. I to have moved to Hikari frozen foods and think there quality is superior to others.
Clear Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I thaw mine out in a cup and then pour it unto my tanks. Ive sometimes have forgotten to feed the thawed food and dont realize it till the next day when I grab the cup to thaw out more food lol And yes I only feed hikari frozen food and bookworms are the staple for most of the fish. Ive kept fish for years and have never had a problem feeding with it
Old 11-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
RoseTyler
Planted Member

Quote:

I don't over feed, so it's not a problem. I understand how much to feed fish. But thank you Since I don't feed one day, feed pellets another day and then blood worms the rest, I'd say there fine, and I see them pooping all the time.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

For a carnivorous fish it wouldn't be much of a problem but for an omnivore, there lies the risk of health issues. If it works for those of you who use is regularly, by all means do as you please. However, it is just my preference and many others on here to feed bloodworms as a treat.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
RoseTyler
Planted Member

Quote:
For a carnivorous fish it wouldn't be much of a problem but for an omnivore, there lies the risk of health issues. If it works for those of you who use is regularly, by all means do as you please. However, it is just my preference and many others on here to feed bloodworms as a treat.
That's fine. Nobody's feeding regiment has to be exactly the same. As I said, I don't ONLY feed them bloodworms. And actually, if I think about it, all the fish in my tank ARE carnivores except my cories.

Angelfish, tetras and rasboras.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.