Sinking driftwood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Grundy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sinking driftwood

I collected some driftwood locally during a lake clean up that I wish to use in my tank. The only problem is after a few weeks' soak it will not sink.

Are there any methods to help it along?

Off the top of my head I wondered if I could attach lead weights to the back or attach the wood to slate using aquarium silicone or a glue like gorilla glue which can be used in saltwater aquariums.

Thank you.
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Watch this video and go for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hstMrAHOmZ4

Have fun.
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

^not a bad idea. i always just put rocks on the wood to weight it or half bury it to keep it down until it became waterlogged enough to stay down on its own.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
^not a bad idea. i always just put rocks on the wood to weight it or half bury it to keep it down until it became waterlogged enough to stay down on its own.
Yeah the first time I saw that video I thought "Shear Genius" Now that I look at it again, I'm thinking maybe there's better approach to this age old problem. Those suction cups will eventually get to a point where they will not stay put, and they do look ugly as heck. I don't know, if there's a better wheel I hope someone puts the idea on the table here.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Grundy
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone ever use a pair of earth magnets? One is attached to the wood and one is on the outside like a mag float hanging on the glass.

My stand is open under the tank so I could attach the outside magnet directly to the bottom glass.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone ever use a pair of earth magnets? One is attached to the wood and one is on the outside like a mag float hanging on the glass.

My stand is open under the tank so I could attach the outside magnet directly to the bottom glass.
Are the earth magnets coated with something to keep them from rusting in the tank? Not sure what they are actually, but I bet their made of iron that would rust otherwise.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The classic is drilling through slate or tile and screwing that to the bottom of the wood. I used a bit of acrylic sheet and buried that in the substrate, works just fine and was much easier to drill. That wood will eventually give up the fight and the base plate under substrate will stabilize that wood so it doesn't shift around. Works great if you know how you want the wood to be displayed.

I have seen drawings [not actual photos] of using full tank width or length dowels to wedge the wood in place. Sounds like a bad idea to fumble fingered and forgetful me.

Or instead of balancing rocks on top of the wood tie a couple together and drape the connecting cord over the wood proper. I have done that, might work out for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Grundy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imi Statue View Post
Are the earth magnets coated with something to keep them from rusting in the tank? Not sure what they are actually, but I bet their made of iron that would rust otherwise.

Yes I would cast them in 2 part epoxy and then glue the wet side to the wood.

People do this with frag trays for reef tanks vs. a suction cup.

Also if you have ever seen a nimble nano algae scraper it would be the same thing.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
Yes I would cast them in 2 part epoxy and then glue the wet side to the wood.

People do this with frag trays for reef tanks vs. a suction cup.

Also if you have ever seen a nimble nano algae scraper it would be the same thing.

Thanks.
This is what I see as the nimble nano replacement: http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Littl...MTAMCM-vi.html
Looks like it would work pretty good, does the texture of the wood make the glue fall off at some point? What about the wood's eventual decomposition? Does this loosen the glued magnet any?
Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
The classic is drilling through slate or tile and screwing that to the bottom of the wood. I used a bit of acrylic sheet and buried that in the substrate, works just fine and was much easier to drill. That wood will eventually give up the fight and the base plate under substrate will stabilize that wood so it doesn't shift around. Works great if you know how you want the wood to be displayed.

I have seen drawings [not actual photos] of using full tank width or length dowels to wedge the wood in place. Sounds like a bad idea to fumble fingered and forgetful me.

Or instead of balancing rocks on top of the wood tie a couple together and drape the connecting cord over the wood proper. I have done that, might work out for you.
What thickness of AC Sheet do you use? How far from the wood; would you need to make it stick out so there's enough weight to hold it down?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Grundy
Algae Grower

Hey,

Those are good questions and I don't have a clue but if the wood broke down enough and the magnet detached I would hope that the wood would stay submerged on its own by then. If not I would do it again I suppose.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I use the cheap stuff from Home Depot, it is very thin. My wood is old stuff that will give up floating after a couple days and I only need the sheet to stick out a few inches all around. If your tank isn't set up and you can play with this you could try something like a take away food lid, large yogurt tub lid or the like. Reinforce the hole though, some plastics split easily.

The glue just might work. I used super gel glue to fasten bits of Anubias to some wood and that glue stayed stuck while the wood around it was worn away by bristlenose pleco or something else so there were ugly little nubs left when the Anubias was pulled off. Rub down to solid wood and glue away.