Containing Osmocote
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Q07
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Containing Osmocote

So I was thinking about about starting to use osmocote plus under my pool filter sand substrate. I was curious if anybody had contained the osmocote in some way to keep the separate granules from coming to the surface if the substrate is disturbed.

Having worked in a lab in the past I came up with this idea... Drill some holes in a 1.5mL microcentrifuge tube (pictured below), fill with osmocote, and push into the substrate. I figure the tube would be easy to spot if it gets uprooted, can be reused every few months, and I wouldn't be pushing down or siphoning up stray granules of osmocote. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Q07; 03-12-2013 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: deleted line
Q07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Most people put Osmocote+ in a clear gelatin "000" capsule. They are already contained. Simply push into substrate.

Lot of people selling them on eBay. You could also probably find some members here offering them from time to time.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Q07
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
Most people put Osmocote+ in a clear gelatin "000" capsule. They are already contained. Simply push into substrate.

Lot of people selling them on eBay. You could also probably find some members here offering them from time to time.
I was more concerned with containing them once they are in the substrate for rescaping or uprooting plants. Gelatin dissolves so it doesn't help with this problem. I was just going to freeze the granules in ice cubes, but then thought of trying this.
Q07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's not a bad idea actually! I would also think putting the little balls in something like a nylon sack made out of a material like women's stockings might work too. Those pellets are a genuine PITA aren't they?
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Tulle from the craft store might be just fine enough to contain the Osmocote:

Or cut open a plastic fertilizer spike, dump out the existing pellets and refill with Osmocote, then seal with hot glue:

DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Tetrameck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q07 View Post
I was more concerned with containing them once they are in the substrate for rescaping or uprooting plants. Gelatin dissolves so it doesn't help with this problem. I was just going to freeze the granules in ice cubes, but then thought of trying
Whatever you try, please do update so others know of any success.

Last edited by Tetrameck; 03-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Typo
Tetrameck is offline   Reply With Quote