It's Under Control?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
kkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's Under Control?

I believe the algae problem I was having a few months ago has subsided. Actually it seems it is disappearing at a fast rate. I have 2 Ottos and either they are doing an exceptional job or the algae is dieing off. My parameters are 25 gallon, AM 0, Ni 0 and Na 10-20. There is some brown algae on the filter inlet, motor, etc. and green growth on a flat rock near the light. I had several areas on the substrate that had growth last week but has disappeared. I added 2 new ferns about 3 weeks ago. What is happening to it? Will my Ottos have enough to sustain or do I need to supplement more with wafers, etc.?
2 Glass Cats
1 Spotted Raphael Catfish
1 Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco

25G_Tank
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Sometimes the fish are eating it and sometimes the algae seems to grow poorly then the fish eat it. I think.

The otos will do fine even with no apparent algae as they eat the microscopic film that grows on everything in the tank. You could put a slice of zucchini or cucumber in once a week to supplement. My otos are only interested in it after the veggie has been in the tank for a day or so and grown a nice layer of biofilm. I skewer the veggie, a fork or brief microwaving so it sinks works as well.