Slate floor tile for background?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
babakaty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Slate floor tile for background?

I have some nice-looking leftover 16x16 slate floor tile that I'm thinking about using on the rear wall of the 90 gal I'm in the process of setting up. Does anyone have any experience doing this, and how did it work out? Pictures? I assume aquarium-safe silicone will secure it to the glass. Any other ideas?
babakaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
BottomFeeder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've used it for the bottom of a tank. I'm sure it would work just as well as a background. Silicone should be all you need. From a space perspective you could probably put it on the outside so that it doesn't take up extra space.
Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
BottomFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
sick lid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've also toyed with this idea, but I know more than one fellow fish nerd who has done so and regretted the permanence of it. Either you use a little silicone on the corners and have it easier to remove if you want, downside is gunk getting trapped back there, or you seal the hell out of it and never ever get it off.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.180gallon corner in-wall build journal
sick lid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
babakaty
Algae Grower

Yeah, I was afraid of that. You'd have to be committed to it long term....Maybe I'll stick with the ubiquitous black background. Not very creative, but easily changeable.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
BottomFeeder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I remember talking to somebody that did some really cool rock work behind the tank. It looked great, and since it wasn't in the tank it didn't have any of those downsides.
Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
BottomFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
lildark185
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wouldn't putting a whole slab of slate for the background of the tank create an imbalance in terms of weight distribution? It may put too much pressure on the back wall and the bottom of the tank towards the back.
lildark185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Default Slate background

Did it on a 110g drilled tank with a black acrylic backgroung I hated. Split the tiles and broke up the pattern over a bulge in the plastic center plate.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html

I have one tank thats been setup for 20+ years without a complete tear down and cleaning so the 'gunk' that may find its way behind the slate does not concern me. I disabled the UG filter plate on the old tank when I went to an eheim canister (2 years ago) and had no strange issues occure. What little debris may find its way behind the slate will help feed the moss I'm starting along the seams anyway.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomFeeder View Post
I remember talking to somebody that did some really cool rock work behind the tank. It looked great, and since it wasn't in the tank it didn't have any of those downsides.
I like this idea. I bet you could make a really awesome external background using fake rock on a sheet of plywood or something similar...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
babakaty
Algae Grower

Hey wkndracer, nice job. That's exactly what I had in mind. Glad to know it's been done before. Maybe I'll reconsider the black background!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
CaliEAB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I like this idea. I bet you could make a really awesome external background using fake rock on a sheet of plywood or something similar...

I just bought a used 55G setup from a guy how did just that - used fake rock tiles from a lizard terrarium and bonded it to the back inside the tank. It's plastic but looks like textured granite and doesn't add to the weight or affect chemistry. It actually looks really good and the moss he had and some anubias grew up one portion of it. If I can get ahold of a proper camera, I'll post a picture of it.
CaliEAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
CaliEAB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Some pix of a fake rock background in a 55G

Here are a couple of pix of the tank from a setup I bought with the fake rock background... Sorry for the quality - I just have a cell phone camera right now. To be honest, I prefer the clear block of water look but this is still really cool (IMHO). Btw, if you choose to do this, be very careful with your choice of adhesives!
Attached Images

Last edited by CaliEAB; 09-20-2009 at 10:38 PM..
CaliEAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
bandolero2

Default slate floor tile in aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
I've also toyed with this idea, but I know more than one fellow fish nerd who has done so and regretted the permanence of it. Either you use a little silicone on the corners and have it easier to remove if you want, downside is gunk getting trapped back there, or you seal the hell out of it and never ever get it off.

Will the floor tile in your tank kill your tropical fish?
bandolero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
bandolero2

Will the floor tile in your tank kill your tropical fish?
bandolero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

slate is generally inert/safe for aquarium use. I would have thought the gaps/seems in the rectangular/square tiles would look a bit off, but wkndracer's tank looks pretty good (good job).

I've done the back of a 10-gallon with lava rock (my first attempt at a paludarium). I thought it turned out pretty well, but it used an unholy amount of silicone and time

I haven't used slate myself, other then anchoring driftwood
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote