tearing down 40b-here's the new set up-help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
mizzoutank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

tearing down 40b-here's the new set up-help!

tired of my un natural 40b, so i'm tearing it down and redoing it.

this is the spare 40b i picked up and am trying to aquascape for the natural river bottom look.
thinking to add some vals and anubias for a touch of green.
also have a plethora of the river rock decor around my house, so i'll continue to sift through that to keep adding them in for more decor

tank mates are rams, kribs, tetras, pleco, cory cats

any feedback is appreciated, this much driftwood and sand is new to me...so just been trying things out and would like to get some constructive criticism

better pics to come when the finnex comes in the mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndtankredo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	73074  

Name:	2ndtanktredotop.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	73082  

mizzoutank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: tearing down 40b-here's the new set up-help!

Wow great job man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Talking

Wow, That looks really really nice! I wish I could arrange driftwood like that.

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: tearing down 40b-here's the new set up-help!

Any updates?

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
mizzoutank
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. The finnex should have come in today but im having usps hold it (of they remember) while I'm out of town. So Monday ill pick it up and post some pics with it on. But I cant set up the tank officially until I tear down the other one. I'll be buying the blue ram amd krib tomorrow and put them in qt while I wait also.

It's so hard to wait! I.just want it up and running again. Lol
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
mizzoutank
Algae Grower

Default Update-finnex just arrived

Lights just came in-here are the pictures.

Finally getting the answer for people wondering about finnex and their spread/look.

I love the sleek look-really add a nice flare to the tank.
night lights are superb.
shimmer is really cool.
it is a clean/crisp light-which may cause the reaction that they look not as bright as my t5ho's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-01-28_16-44-42_465.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	75802  

Name:	2013-01-28_16-45-08_975.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	75810  

Name:	2013-01-28_16-45-30_348.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	75818  

Name:	2013-01-28_16-46-18_541.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	75826  

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Wolf19
Planted Member

It may be just my opinion but those rocks too 'perfectly' placed to provide you the river bottom look. I think to get away with that look you should focus on placing a larger majority of the smaller rocks in the lowest part of your slopes, and keeping the larger ones - "the ones that the current couldn't push into the lower point" at the higher points and have sand surround them suggesting they've survived the current and are now apart of it.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
mizzoutank
Algae Grower

Haha. That is true and a good point.
The rock placement will be fine tuned when there is water in the tank.

for now-I honestly just "sprinkled" them around the driftwood to see what river rock looked like.

but thanks for pointing that out-so I don't forget.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
Haha. That is true and a good point.
The rock placement will be fine tuned when there is water in the tank.
Hi Mizzoutank,

In my experience it is a lot easier to get your rocks sorted out before you fill it and only very fine tuning be done when full.

I'm certainly no expert on aquascaping, but I do know a little about design.

I love the wood you have in your tank there. But to me there is just way too much. It doesn't seem to have a flow to it. There is just a wall of wood. I think if you took some pieces out and did a bit of reshuffling it would improve the look of your tank.

It seems to lack a focal point. I don't know how much aquascaping you have done before but have a look into the rule of thirds.

I agree with Wolf about the rock being too 'perfectly placed' but you do need to place them perfectly so they look like they haven't been placed at all.

As far as the large rocks up high graduating to the small ones down low that doesn't necessarily hold true. Especially in a gravel bed river and in fast flowing water. I live on a farm and we have such a river flowing through it. On gravel beds the larger rock tend to stay put, but in the river in low places. The rocks getting smaller as you go up the bank. In fact sand is what you tend to get on high places, not on the bottom of the river.

I'll take some photos for you tomorrow if I get time. But here are a couple that may show you something.

Um... can't figure out photos on this forum. I'll get back to you.

Don't get me wrong. I like the setup, I just think it could be much better looking with a bit of work. I think you would be pleased.

Linds

Last edited by Farmer; 01-30-2013 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: clarity
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Where are the plants gonna go? that's one packed tank. U may have 20 gallons worth of room for water. Does look good though

Last edited by pirayaman; 01-30-2013 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Y
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Farmer
Planted Member

Ok. As promised, some photos should be attached.

As I said in the last post. it just seems to be too much of a good thing. If you are trying for a somewhat natural looking scape there would rarely be that so much wood just lying there. it sort of gets caught on other things and smaller pieces get caught on it. You don't have to be that accurate to nature, but you can make it look more natural.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  48.1 KB

I had a bit of a play around trying to move stuff digitally, bu tit just got too hard. If you are willing would you try moving some things and see how it looks? You have pictures so you can always move them back if you don't like it.

I don't know how much you know about this stuff and I am still learning myself but I do know a bit and maybe we can both learn from this.

The two pieces of wood wit the X I'd remove. I'd move the piece at the back over to the left so the tall part is sticking up where the green dot is.

The green dots are ideal 2 ideal places for focal points. The dot on the right down lower is where I would move that pale rock as a second focal point and maybe stack a few rock near it.

I'd also remove all the pebbles for now and add them later where they need to go.

Here are some pictures of the rock in the river I was talking about. They aren't the best to see what I was talking about, but they will do for now.

Name:	2013-01-26 14.20.18.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	77274

Name:	2013-01-26 14.20.01.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	77282

Name:	2013-01-26 14.24.53.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	77290

Name:	2013-01-29 16.33.42.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	77298
Notice in number 1 and 2 the rocks are kind of in groups. In the last shot, if you can see, the bigger rocks are on the right (the river side) while the smaller are on the left (the bank) eventually becoming sand. if you could see in the water there are even bigger rocks.

Often when I find drift wood in the river it is wedged under rocks and I have to pull it out.

Anyway, I hope this was interesting if nothing else.

Linds
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
mizzoutank
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback.

I do appreciate and agree that is a lot at first, but in person it doesn't look too "overwhelming"

But im open for re design, that is the entire reason for this thread and setting it up with time to spare.

I took a few days off from playing with it to try and get a fresh look at it. I'll pull everything out and play with another design.

But the reason for it being so packed is i'm keeping a krib, 2xbolivian rams, and hopefully 2x keyholes. so i need that separation/limited lines of sight so they will behave. lol

and the plants-will be vals/anubias. Vals will be randomly along the back wall, and anubias will be randomly in the foreground. nothing special, low tech, easy set up with some green-that is all i'm going for.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I really like the scape so far! Very inspiring!

For the rocks, maybe you should have a few smashed fairly deep into the sand so just the tops are showing and have others scartered however you want? That's natural looking from my perspective as rocks rarely stand plush with the sand for very long in nature.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I do appreciate and agree that is a lot at first, but in person it doesn't look too "overwhelming"

But im open for re design, that is the entire reason for this thread and setting it up with time to spare.
No worries mate. I wouldn't mind having that setup at all, it's just I have seen (on an aquascaping forum) how you can move some things around and get a so much more pleasing setup. There are certain things that look good to the human eye and if you stick to these things in general you will have a more pleasing design.

I'ts good you have time to set it up so it's 'right'. I do feel your frustration with wanting to get the fish in but knowing you have to wait. I'm in the same place at the moment with one tank of mine.

Quote:
I took a few days off from playing with it to try and get a fresh look at it. I'll pull everything out and play with another design.
If you do I strongly suggest you have a look at some aquascaping sites and get some general design principles. They are not too hard to follow. Have a look here, here. Here is a scape that uses lots of wood and rocks but they are placed so that there are focal point/s and flow. Look at it planted and dry. This is another great forum for feedback on aquascaping.

Quote:
But the reason for it being so packed is i'm keeping a krib, 2xbolivian rams, and hopefully 2x keyholes. so i need that separation/limited lines of sight so they will behave. lol
I'm not going to even pretend I know about cichlid requirements, but I'm sure you can have plenty of territories with a clever layout.

Quote:
and the plants-will be vals/anubias. Vals will be randomly along the back wall, and anubias will be randomly in the foreground. nothing special, low tech, easy set up with some green-that is all i'm going for.
I don't want to seem like I'm on your back here but like you said, this is the aquascaping thread. I suppose what you have to decide is what you want from the tank. do you want it to look natural or do you want it to look pleasing and give the illusion it is natural? You can rarely have both.

If you want to aquascape your tank, random anything doesn't really work. Where you put your plants has a really big effect on the appearance of your tank. It can also help you achieve more 'territories'. For instance, if you have the vals across the back they only block your line of sight to the back of the tank. On the other hand if you had a cluster behind a piece of wood you can make a curtain for your fish. An anubia in the right place on a piece of wood can balance an aquarium.

Anyway, good luck.

I can try and help, but there are better aquascapers than me. Hopefully someone will back me up. The right layout could turn your 'nice' 'great' setup into a jaw dropping scape. You have the raw materials to do it.

Linds
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

You should add some type of moss on the driftwood, it helps create a more natural, aged look and it also helps create depth in your tank.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote