First real attempt at aquascape ~5 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

First real attempt at aquascape ~5 gallon


Hi all, been lurking for a while, this is my first post and im finally going to rescape my 5 gallon tank.

open to all criticism, ideas and suggestions. will be posting as much pics as possible.

some specs;
5 gallon seamless
2-3 inches fluval, sand, gravel mixture
HOB aquaclear 30
small tetra heater

and as far as plants go i have an anubias, couple of crypts, micro sword and some riccia floating about.

inhabitants currently include 5 cardinal tetras, 3 siamensis sharks, and 1 mia assassin snail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0218.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	61481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0219.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	61489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0220.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	61497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0222.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	61505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0223.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	61513  

LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

cleaned the glass, drained the water, inhabitants are safe in another temporary tank w the filter and my loose plants.
LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

I like the new placement of the driftwood in the tank.

Here's an idea for replanting...



1. pick up two fuller green stem plants of the same variety (eg.camboba or rotala green varieties, basically anything that will fill in the background with a different, smaller texture than your swords)
2. one or two of the crypts (depending on how big they get, go with just one)
3. tie the anubas lower, so it will lie in the mid-ground
4. attach the riccia to three stones, arranged in the open mid-ground space
5. fill in with micro-swords across the foreground


Do you fertilize and what is your current lighting?
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl


Last edited by bluestems; 01-05-2013 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: .
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

heres what i settled on, any feedback is more than welcome. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0224.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	61529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0225.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	61537  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0226.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	61545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0227.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	61553  

LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
I like the new placement of the driftwood in the tank.

Here's an idea for replanting...



1. pick up two fuller green stem plants of the same variety (eg.camboba or rotala green varieties, basically anything that will fill in the background with a different, smaller texture than your swords)
2. one or two of the crypts (depending on how big they get, go with just one)
3. tie the anubas lower, so it will lie in the mid-ground
4. attach the riccia to three stones, arranged in the open mid-ground space
5. fill in with micro-swords across the foreground


Do you fertilize and what is your current lighting?

thanks for the awesome reply! i jsut posted update pics before i saw your post, let me know what you think of my updates.

Ill be taking all of your suggestions into consideration, as i plan on going to my local store tomorrow to see what i can find.

forgot to mentions i have an assortment of java ferns as well, and have had no luck tying down yet.
LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

also strongly leaning towards planting my HOB too, ive seen it done by many here to great success.

and for ferts ive been using small doses of Flourish, by seachem (my TDS meter is currently mia, so ive been very careful of dosing as to not harm my fish)

lighting atm is nothing fancy, just a 23 watt cfl. unsure of the spectrum, definitely on the warmer side so id venture to say between 2700k and 3000K. any recommendations? im broke status lol
LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudaChris View Post
thanks for the awesome reply! i jsut posted update pics before i saw your post, let me know what you think of my updates.

Ill be taking all of your suggestions into consideration, as i plan on going to my local store tomorrow to see what i can find.

forgot to mentions i have an assortment of java ferns as well, and have had no luck tying down yet.
I figured we crossed posts. I like the balance the tank has now. It's kinda hard to see what varieties the crypts that you have are, so it's probably not good for me to suggest planting them in the back when I really am unsure of how big they'll get. Did you keep the riccia?

I haven't ever scaped with java fern, so I'm of no help to you there!

On the CFL, try to find one that includes the spectrum on the label... you'll want one in the 6000K range. Often times the ones labeled 'plant grow' bulbs will be the correct spectrum and then you match the wattage to the amount of intensity you want. The 'daylight' bulbs don't always have the right spectrum. Here's one that I've used successfully.

Have fun at the fish store tomorrow!
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
I figured we crossed posts. I like the balance the tank has now. It's kinda hard to see what varieties the crypts that you have are, so it's probably not good for me to suggest planting them in the back when I really am unsure of how big they'll get. Did you keep the riccia?

I haven't ever scaped with java fern, so I'm of no help to you there!

On the CFL, try to find one that includes the spectrum on the label... you'll want one in the 6000K range. Often times the ones labeled 'plant grow' bulbs will be the correct spectrum and then you match the wattage to the amount of intensity you want. The 'daylight' bulbs don't always have the right spectrum. Here's one that I've used successfully.

Have fun at the fish store tomorrow!
im not quite sure on the variety either, but they seem to be on the thinner side, so atm i dont mind them being kind of in the front. most of my riccia has slowly disappeared and what little i have is sitting in my net ontop of the tank.

im leaning more towards another moss because im considering turing it into a shrimp tank as well. any thoughts on that? like a preferred moss or something?

and ii should have a cfl in that range lying around from a previous grow, thanks!

btw, heres a recent pic from this morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0228[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	61649  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0229[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	61657  

LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

It looks much better, and if you like it then that is what matters most! I'd recommend investing in a plant gro bulb though. The plants really won't thrive without one.

You could always try tying down the riccia that you have to a single stone and see how it does. I've had mini xmas moss before that I liked, weeping moss is another that I like. Have you considered mini fissidens? They look really nice attached to dw.
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

thanks! its definitely way better than before lol. ill still be looking to make changes and improvemnts as needed.

i cant say ive heard of mini fissidens, but ill look into as well as the weeping moss, hopefully the fish store will have it! Im getting ready there now, so ill look to buy a grow bulb today as well as plants to finish it off.
LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudaChris View Post
thanks! its definitely way better than before lol. ill still be looking to make changes and improvemnts as needed.

i cant say ive heard of mini fissidens, but ill look into as well as the weeping moss, hopefully the fish store will have it! Im getting ready there now, so ill look to buy a grow bulb today as well as plants to finish it off.
If your lfs doesn't carry moss and/or mini fissidens, you can usually find good deals in the sales section here too. That's where I found my mini-xmas moss.


Good luck with your tank
__________________

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
LudaChris
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
If your lfs doesn't carry moss and/or mini fissidens, you can usually find good deals in the sales section here too. That's where I found my mini-xmas moss.


Good luck with your tank
they were mainly sold out unfortunately, but they gave a little java moss to get started with the red cherries i picked up !

ill be looking into the sales section tonight, thanks again!
LudaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012