Medium to low tech 6 gallon - which of these lights is best?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Echolaughter

PTrader: (0/0%)

Medium to low tech 6 gallon - which of these lights is best?

I have a 6 Gallon Edge with stock 21 LEDs and CO2 on the way. I'd like to put a LED bar over the top to help promote plant growth. Ideally I would like to have DHG in the back and Dwarf Baby Tears in the foreground.

The tank is only 17" long x 13.7" wide x 14.5" deep and after filling with Fluval Plant substrate The plants would only be maybe 12-13" from the light source.

After looking around it seems my choices are the:
- Marineland Double Bright 18" LED strip (30 par @ 12")
- Finnex FugeRay 12" fixture (25 PAR @ 12")
- Finnex Ray II: 16" fixture (49 PAR @ 12")

I'm a bit worried about gettin to high powered of a light (algae growth etc) given the distance from the substrate to the light bar. Also this would be used with the current stock 21 LED light array that comes with the Edge.

What are your thoughts?
Echolaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Echo - your dimensions reflect base, back, and hood. The tank dimensions are 16.9" L X 10.25 D X 8.75" H. With a couple inches of substrate, you are probably looking at 7" from lights to substrate.

If you do a search for fluval edge under the lighting section, you will find a huge number of threads on lighting solutions. Best of luck. I too am doing some investigation on a nice planted edge. IMHO, the tank esthetics more than make up for some of the limitations faced.

I'm struggling with additional lighting without impacting the edge's esthetics. That means adding something under the hood or perhaps a pendant above which doesn't impact viewing from above.

Best of luck,

Ozzy
Ozymandius is offline   Reply With Quote