Emersed Aroid and Stem Plant Collection - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is an awesome collection! I'm going for something like this myself, can't wait to see how this develops!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

This is for sure really awesome. Do you have any picture updates?
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #18
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Quick update:
I am up to 52 different Bucephalandra varieties, and have officially run out of room in my tanks! I am considering setting up a THIRD 20 gallon long tank that i would place on the top shelf of the rack. I would move all of the large plants (mainly Schismatoglottis, Homalomena, and Cryptocoryne species) plus the stem plants and larger Bucephalandras to this new tank. This would free up 22 spots for smaller Bucephalandras (trust me, i have my eye on plenty more!).

On a side note, i have noticed that the growth rate of many of my Bucephalandras has declined significantly, many to a point where the trimmed rhizomes are sprouting new side shoots and the plantlets stay very small for several months on end with no noticeable growth. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. I removed 2 bulbs over each tank to decrease the light in half since a friend of mine is keeping them in much lower light and they are growing larger than mine ever have. Additionally, i am keeping the temperature inside the tanks cool by having a fan blowing across the light when it is on, and i am decreasing the humidity slowly because i think it might be way too high. I also tried crushing up some pFertz tablets and sprinkling it on the top of the soil in a few of the pots to see if they are suffering from a nutrient deficiency (some of the leaves on several of the plants are turning yellow and dying). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #19
jshoker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh wow Phil, awesome! I have to do an emmersed set up for my tiny anubias that haven't grown in like forever. How much did you pay for that anubias white? I have seen them go for $80 plus. Also have you heard of other anubias varieties like variegated, marble, sunset etc...?

BTW where did you get those small little clay pots from? I don't think they sell them at lowes or home depot.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoker View Post
Oh wow Phil, awesome! I have to do an emmersed set up for my tiny anubias that haven't grown in like forever. How much did you pay for that anubias white? I have seen them go for $80 plus. Also have you heard of other anubias varieties like variegated, marble, sunset etc...?

BTW where did you get those small little clay pots from? I don't think they sell them at lowes or home depot.
I paid $80 for my Anubias 'white'. I'm hoping that i'll be able to cultivate it and make some of that money back, lol.

Yes, there are many other Anubias species/varieties out there. Someday i'd like to get some Anubias 'stardust', as well as an Anubias 'micro'.

I purchased the pots from Michael's. They sell them for under a buck each... i think $0.69/ea? They're the perfect size for small Anubias and Bucephalandras, but don't really work too well for larger species.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #21
jshoker
Algae Grower

Man...I wish we had a connection in Asia, I bet these expensive plants here cost only a couple of bucks there
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #22
iter
Planted Member

I was just planning on a emersed set-up as well, this thread will be a good reference for me

I am just curious, does the clay pots you use have holes on the bottom for drainage? If there are holes, how do you keep the Aquasoil from escaping?
Also, why did you plant some mosses or HC with the buces? Does it help them grow?

Good luck with the anubias btw!!!
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Default Emersed Aroid and Stem Plant Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
I was just planning on a emersed set-up as well, this thread will be a good reference for me

I am just curious, does the clay pots you use have holes on the bottom for drainage? If there are holes, how do you keep the Aquasoil from escaping?
Also, why did you plant some mosses or HC with the buces? Does it help them grow?

Good luck with the anubias btw!!!
The clay pots do have holes at the bottom. I put about an inch of medium-sized yard gravel at the bottom of each to allow for drainage; just enough so the aquasoil can't leak out.

I planted moss and HC around the plants to prevent algae growing on top of the soil, but I removed it all recently because it was becoming too invasive.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Wow, awesome collection!

I see you've turned to the dark side and started collecting crypts!
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
jshoker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
The clay pots do have holes at the bottom. I put about an inch of medium-sized yard gravel at the bottom of each to allow for drainage; just enough so the aquasoil can't leak out.

I planted moss and HC around the plants to prevent algae growing on top of the soil, but I removed it all recently because it was becoming too invasive.
Will emmersed moss grow faster than submerged moss or at the same rate?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Wow, awesome collection!

I see you've turned to the dark side and started collecting crypts!
Unfortunately, yes... i have to blame Crispino Ramos for converting me to the dark side. Just kidding... loving the C. bullosa 'Maradong' right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoker View Post
Will emmersed moss grow faster than submerged moss or at the same rate?
I've found that it generally grows slower, though YMMV.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #27
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

What's up Phil. I am looking to set up my first crypt emersed setup and hoping that you can give a few suggestions. I will be doing a 20 gallon high that I have left over which is about 24 inches in length.

1. If you had to do it over again, what would you modify in terms of equipment?
2. Which fogger did you go with? Which powerhead?
3. How did you get a full glass for the top? All the glass canopies that I've seen come with a little plastic back so it's not true glass.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by hedge_fund; 02-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: questions
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

I don't even want to know how much all those buces cost. O.o

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
What's up Phil. I am looking to set up my first crypt emersed setup and hoping that you can give a few suggestions. I will be doing a 20 gallon high that I have left over which is about 24 inches in length.

1. If you had to do it over again, what would you modify in terms of equipment?
2. Which fogger did you go with? Which powerhead?
3. How did you get a full glass for the top? All the glass canopies that I've seen come with a little plastic back so it's not true glass.

Thanks for your help.
1. As much as i love the idea of having 2.5" wide pots for the Buces (smaller pots = more Buces per tank!), i really think they are not growing to their full potential due to the small quantity of soil and diameter of the pots. They have been staying small in size. I am thinking about cutting back on my collection by figuring out which ones i REALLY like and selling the rest so i can put them in larger pots, but i have yet to make a decision. Also, having 4 T5 bulbs over each tank is way overkill-- i recently removed 3 bulbs from each fixture (leaving only one bulb over each tank), and the plants already look happier.
2. The fogger is an ultrasonic type from no ebay links allowed Powerhead is a Rio (don't remember which model).
3. The glass tops that i'm using are the standard type with the plastic in the back. All i did was cut out slots on each corner to accommodate the misting heads and then i used duct tape to seal the back. I thought at first that maybe this wouldn't be a good idea since i'd maybe need to take the glass top completely off at some point, but i haven't found such need so far.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Thanks for the detailed responses. Much appreciated.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote