Briz's 5.5 Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Briz
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Briz's 5.5 Planted Tank

Started 4/24/13

Substrate: EcoComplete

Waiting for Lilaeopsis mauritiana to arrive in the mail and plant it for carpet. Keeping the tank emersed until it grows out some.

Hardscape is currently a centerpiece driftwood, and later planning a terracotta pot for ADFs.

Plants currently shown are narrow leaf chain sword, narrow leaf java fern, and taiwan moss. A lot more different types of moss are coming in the mail soon, which I will continue to spread across the driftwood.

Got a lot of fishing line holding things in place right now, haha.

Filtration will be sponge filter(s).

Will update with progress! I had attempted planting this tank before, but didn't do enough research. I've since armed myself with knowledge and am quite excited for this project.

Last edited by Briz; 04-27-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Fixed small text
Briz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Briz
Planted Member

My Lilaeopsis mauritiana (micro sword narrow leaf) arrived in the mail today. Planted it in emersed substrate. Hopefully it does well! Needs to be trimmed for my tank size, but leaving it alone for now. Root tabs will be used on Monday when they get in the mail, along with most of my other equipment.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Briz
Planted Member

Four packages came in for me yesterday. One included my 5.5g hood which fits a 12" fluorescent, for which I am using an 8w Aqua-Glo. Doesn't seem very bright, but I had been using a 13w compact fluorescent in a reflector lamp.

Another package was some moss samplings of Christmas, Peacock, and Singapore. I laid them out in alphabetical order on my driftwood so that I can remember which is which and compare them. Leaving these untied for now, as gravity seems to work fine.

Cut the carpet height down to try to save energy for expansion, plus I won't need it to be that high. I need to get those curved scissors to reach the plants in awkward positions around the driftwood.

Added 8 Flourish root tabs to help fertilize the substrate.

Moss!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Briz
Planted Member

Quick update:

Flooded the tank since I wasn't seeing any expansion of the carpet plant. The moss is already attached to the driftwood. Added dwarf water lettuce and a few other plants to the mix.

Have a dual-sponge filter powered by the Tetra Whisper 10 air pump. Creates a lot of pull for the floaters, may need to protect them from that soon.

Sponge and old filter media from my 10 gallon tank to help try to seed BB.

Looks pretttttty messy right now. :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Briz
Planted Member

Almost all of the plants are still doing great! No algae outbreaks yet, quite different from my first attempt at planting this tank...

Added a comet goldfish I dubbed "Stumpy" because it looks like he was born without a tail. When he arrived in our comet shipment, I decided to take him. I know 5.5 gallons isn't big enough for a comet, but I plan on releasing him to our apartment's pond (stocked with goldfish and koi) soon. For now he has been most helpful eating the rotted carpet grass that was an eyesore, everything looks spotless. The plants will certainly enjoy the added poop fert.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Briz
Planted Member

It's been a while, figured it's time for an update. Stumpy has been long gone in the pond.

Most of the plants are doing well. The carpet plants have thinned considerably and the floaters have largely died off due to the bubbles. I have a ring around the surface where the bubbles come up to help, but they still get water drops on them. Still waiting for the cycle to finish. Have a red Betta in the tank for now since I stalled the bubble bowl project.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Briz
Planted Member

Late July/Early August
Moved from apartment to our first house. Tank made the trip despite fiance's grumbling. The cycle is now complete with 0's across the board.

8/13/13
Moss is doing great but the tank needed some more plants. The floaters had all died off and the carpet plant is only continuing to thin. Added some anacharis and an unknown bagged plant from Petco. Red cherry shrimp should be arriving soon!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Briz
Planted Member

Tank debris has been cleanly picked off by the new red cherry shrimp! Unfortunately I have also noticed hydra in the tank. Will be combating them shortly.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice tank.

I would, however, switch back to the 13watt CFL you mentioned earlier. As long as it is 6500K or thereabouts, you will get good growth.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote