My first planted tank 36g bowfront
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
ffmurray
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first planted tank 36g bowfront

Ive had my tank up for about a month now. I had a thread on a site that I wont name, but there is not a lot of activity there, and I have read so so so much helpful advice here so I decided to move my journal for the tank over here.

The tank is a 36g bowfront, and my first time doing any type of tank besides decorations gravel and fake plants(though i made some nice tanks that way) I have learned a lot so far, but I know I have a huge amount of stuff to learn still.

So this is where it all began..... 11/3
My wonderful wife gave me a 36 gallon bow-front for my birthday. I have decided to try my hand at a planted tank because I love how they look. Ive decided to go with a sand substrate because it was cheap and available. I could not find any pool filter sand so i bought "washed" play sand.
Attachment 401114
I thought I would have to change the water a few times to get it to clear out, I have bought unwashed sand that was cleaner. Unfortunately I do not have a hose on the outside of my house so setting a bucket under the hose bib and ignoring it for a while while the water ran was not an option. I ended up running a hose from my sink and running my siphon out the window and using the sink to try and match the flow of the two. and two hours later the tank was almost sort of clear.

we went to the local [Ebay Link Removed] box[/COLOR][/URL]" store and I bought some plants. a couple of bunched of anarchris, some mondo grass, a moss ball, a crested java fern, two amazon swords, and some other smaller plants that i don't know what they are but I hope they are actually aquatic plants, once the water clears up some more Ill get some pictures of the rest of them and hopefully I can figure out what they are. Ive put in a large hardwood root that I cut out of a fallen tree in the forest around my house. I peeled the bark and boiled it and its being held down with some rocks at the moment.

11/8
Here is what the tank started to look like, I had added a second piece of rootstock(I know an odd position, I was waiting for it to get fully waterlogged so I could move it)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141108_173412.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	401122
I had upgraded the lighting as well
Ive upgraded the lighting, The only light in there at first was a "bright white" 24" T8 bulb that came stock in the hood. I replaced the T8 in the hood with a aqueon floramax bulb. I also added another fixture behind it with 2 T5 bulbs, one is a 6,700k bulb and one is a "colormax" overall this seems like a lot more light, I would like to change the colormax to a floramax when I can get the money together. Both fixtures only use 24" bulbs

there were two gold mystery snails in here and a couple of ghost shrimp(the ghost shrimp did not make it)

11/11
I added DIY CO2 at this point, currently running 2 one gallon bottles and a chopstick diffuser

11/21

I removed all of the playsand substrate and replaced it with dirt/pool filter sand. I used the organic miracle grow mix. The dirt layer is about 3/4 of an inch with a pool filter sand cap on it.
The playsand was anaerobic in places and when i dug it out it stunk pretty bad.
I put all the same plants that I had back in the tank, down in the new substrate.
Name:  20141122_095119.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  68.8 KB

11/23
added fish
10 neon tetras
4 silver hatchetfish
3 otos
this is in addition to the two mystery snails that were in the tank.
also added some "cardinal plant" from the local petbox store

Name:	20141122_095151.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	401138

12/2

Name:	14 - 6.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	401146
tank seems to be doing pretty well, have been fertilizing with flourish complete once a week so far, ordered some dry ferts, will start dosing them soon

12/6
I did some reading and I think thing I got the math right on the solution that I made up last night. I made up 500mL of solution. I decided on a 25 mL dose, id didn't seem like anything smaller would allow me to get everything fully dissolved.
So to 500 mL of water I added
33.3g KNO3
44.5g K2SO4
5g KH2PO4
I hope I did my math right...

and that brings us to today

Name:	IMG_20141208_223525891.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	401154

Thank you to those that read through this slightly large post.
Im glad to be joining this community, and hope that I can learn a lot, from my lurking that seems like it will be no problem. Any comments questions or criticisms are appreciated.
ffmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
ffmurray
Algae Grower

After my last water change, I started getting brown algae on the glass. It looks like little brown translucent spots on the glass. Any ideas on what I should do to deal with this? Should I just let it do its attachments thing and wait it out? Or hydrogen peroxide it? Something different?

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
Whjdm069
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Look up brown algae. You have a deficiency. Use hydrogen peroxide as a last resort.
Whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Nacho-bsas
Algae Grower

Nice journal!
Can you post photos of the new algae you mentioned?.
Nacho-bsas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
ffmurray
Algae Grower

Best pic I could get, cell phone camera

Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

don't mess with that algae. Its more than likely dust algae in which case if you scrape it off the spore will go in the water and reproduce like made popping up all over your glass. best t leave it along for its life cycle which normally lasts like 2-3 weeks ish. its will eventually flake off.

Bump: is that plant in the last pic green hedge or something like that?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #7
ffmurray
Algae Grower

The algae pic? The plant in the front is cardinal plant(at least that's what the package said)

Old 12-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
Nacho-bsas
Algae Grower

Maybe you can lower the water level and remove it from the glass, without coming into contact with water .
Nacho-bsas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
ffmurray
Algae Grower

I'll think I'll let it be unless it gets real bad. Thanks for the advice! I'll look more into algae. I'll keep you updated on the tank

Old 12-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
ffmurray
Algae Grower

Quick update,

Name:	IMG_20141215_101012095_HDR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	404138
Still dealing with the dust algae or diatoms on the glass and some plants. Im going to wait it out, I dont think that I have any issues with dosing, but i could be wrong.

quick question:
whats the plant in the center, I know its probably pretty common but I have been unable to figure it out

Name:	IMG_20141215_101023755_HDR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	404146
I plan on eventually taking the hornwort out of that corner and replacing it with that plant. I'm guessing it can be propagated with cuttings, but I would like to read more on it.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Looking good so far, good job!

That plant looks like some species of Rotala, not sure which. I could be wrong though.

Heres looking forward to your progress.

Member #117, 10" Planted+ Cliplight, 12" & 30" Finnex Fugeray Planted+
Zoidborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
ffmurray
Algae Grower

thanks for setting me down the right path it seems to be Rotala rotundifolia. I would like it to cover that entire back corner, I don't have enough light to turn it real red but i do have reddish tips, and I love how it looks.

Tags
first planted, planted 36

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.