How much Barr GH Booster to use?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
banderbe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

How much Barr GH Booster to use?

I have seen a few threads on this subject with none of them having any real answer.

The Barr GH Booster sold by Greg Watson is supposed to be composed of CaSO4, K2SO4, and MgSO4 in a 3:3:1 ratio.

IF that is in fact true, then how can I figure out how much will raise some amount of liters of water by 1 degree? There are also some other things like iron chelate in there so I am not sure how that throws off any measurements. I could probably calculate this if a gram of GH booster was 3:3:1 and nothing else. then it is probably relatively simple to do the math and figure out how much Ca and Mg come out of 1 gram and how much that hardens a given volume of water.

I could just rely on test kits but wouldn't it be better to know based on hard science the effect this will have on water? That way I could even use it to verify my test kits are accurate, instead of just dosing and praying that my test kits are telling the truth.

Frankly I cannot believe that this stuff is being sold and the people selling it have no idea about how to use it.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
banderbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm using it right now. 1 teaspoon raised my gh from 0, to 3 dgh in 40 gallons of water. So it 1/4 tsp will raise 10 gallons by a little less than 1 dkh.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
banderbe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
I'm using it right now. 1 teaspoon raised my gh from 0, to 3 dgh in 40 gallons of water. So it 1/4 tsp will raise 10 gallons by a little less than 1 dkh.
Thanks Anthony. Did you obtain those results with a test kit? I am really more interested in an answer that is based on the known quantities in the mixture rather than the results of a test kit.

Greg, or Tom whose name is on the product, ought to have done the calculations based on the composition of Barr GH Booster to tell their customers that some amount will raise some volume of water by so many degrees.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
Old 04-08-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

That what I had posted my test results were on an earlier thread, and Tom nudged in and agreed that the measurements were about what they should've been.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Greg, or Tom whose name is on the product, ought to have done the calculations based on the composition of Barr GH Booster to tell their customers that some amount will raise some volume of water by so many degrees.
I agree. I have put forth a lot of time and energy trying to answer this same question.

Going By calculations from Seachem Equilibrium: I added 5 1/2 TSp to roughly 110g and it raised the Gh from 3 to 4.75 (roughly 1.75dh). I used the AP Test kit and 20ml of water, counted the drops and divided by 4.

Best I can tell 1/2 TSp/10g will raise the Gh by roughly 1.75....Which actually works out the same as:

Quote:
So it 1/4 tsp will raise 10 gallons by a little less than 1 dkh.
HTH
Naja002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Greg told me to use the same amount as Equilibrium plus add an equal amount of Epsom salts.

1 tablespoon (16 grams) for every 20 gallons will raise the GH by 3 degrees or 1 meg/L.
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Thanx....

But:

1) That should be on the website or Package where it can be found...IMO

and

2) Why add Epsoms Salts? The Mg should already be in the Booster.....
I'm assuming it has something to do with Your specific tank....?

Thanx Again!
Naja002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #8
banderbe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mg is already in the GH Booster. Epsom salt is not required.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I had to go back and read some old email from Greg. I had it wrong. It was Plantex that needed the extra Epsom salt. My apology.

>>1) My tap water's GH is very low (1-2 degrees). When I use the Barr's GH Booster, do I still need to add magnesium sulfate with the Plantex?

Greg: I would personally argue absolutely …

Greg: I often get asked the question about whether to add it with hard water … and I will usually suggest that the answer should be yes. The relatively small amount that is getting added at the ratio that you add micro nutrients does not have a materially significant impact on your hardness …

>>2) What is the strength of Barr's GH Booster compaired to Equilibrium?

Greg: Tom Barr did the calculations to come up with a DIY approach that was substantively similar … so most people follow the same dosing instructions as Equillibrium …

Greg: If you use the Plantex CSM+B long term, I should have sent a bag of Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) as well, but forgot … Plantex CSM+B usually does not have enough Magnesium in it for your micro-nutrient needs - so unless you have hard tap water like I do, you really need to also use an equal amount of Magnesium Sulfate when you make your own micro nutrient solution … I personally prefer to make a weaker solution than most people do...
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (254/100%)

Greg took some reference I made on nutrient ratios from some Report article I wrote on the each and then put my name on it.

I do not like my name attached to such products, but being DIY and cheaper than dirt, I do not bug Greg too much about it.

I do not make it, therefore I am not sure what is in it.
Best to ask Greg.
Or brush up on your chem and test it.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Anubis303

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
How often do you apply 1 tsp to your 40g? weekly?
Anubis303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderbe View Post
Thanks Anthony. Did you obtain those results with a test kit? I am really more interested in an answer that is based on the known quantities in the mixture rather than the results of a test kit.

Neither I nor Greg own anything with respect to the folks that sell this product.
I also do not make it.

I do use it, I add 1 tsp per 60gal, a tad more, once a week on a typical tank with CO2. This adds about 2.5 GH or plenty to ensure no limitations for Ca/Mg in my super soft tap water.

I'm less concerned about precise ppm to the last digit, as long as I'm well above a limiting condition, my horticulture is dandy.

I'm more interested in CO2 or light.

The above dosing seems to work well for plants, I'm sure folks could add more if they wanted to.......... or less in some cases......but it's cheap and this offers fairly wide room for error.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Thanx....

But:

1) That should be on the website or Package where it can be found...IMO

Thanx Again!
I agree, but.........Don't blame us, we are not selling it!!

Someone(several actually) asked me a formulation was all, I gave them a modified version of the SeaChem product.

My name got stuck in there for some odd reason.

Greg no longer sells ferts, he hasn't for a few years FYI.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
Fishstein
Planted Member

Default Most reliable Barr GH guideline; CSM + B

a) I'm thinking of replacing Equilibrium with Barr GH Booster. What's the most reliable measure guideline? 1 tsp raises 60g by 2.5 GH? Same dosing as Seachem Equilibrium? According to Seachem, 2.5 teaspoons Equilibrium per 10 gallons raises GH by 5 dH.

b) Is there anything potentially harmful about Barr GH Booster (sorry Tom I know it's not yours)? Some hobbyists say these use Equilibrium because there are things in Barr GH Booster that they don't like. Doubt there's anything harmful in Barr GH Booster, just want to be safe and check.

c) I started using CSM+B instead of Flourish Excel. My local water is very soft (nearly 0 PPM GH and KH). Should I be adding Epsom salts in equal amounts as CSM+B? For example, if I add 1/32 teaspoon CSM+B for a 23 gallon tank daily (I dose daily), should I be adding 1/32 teaspoon Epsom Salt daily?
Fishstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstein View Post
a) I'm thinking of replacing Equilibrium with Barr GH Booster. What's the most reliable measure guideline? 1 tsp raises 60g by 2.5 GH? Same dosing as Seachem Equilibrium? According to Seachem, 2.5 teaspoons Equilibrium per 10 gallons raises GH by 5 dH.

b) Is there anything potentially harmful about Barr GH Booster (sorry Tom I know it's not yours)? Some hobbyists say these use Equilibrium because there are things in Barr GH Booster that they don't like. Doubt there's anything harmful in Barr GH Booster, just want to be safe and check.

c) I started using CSM+B instead of Flourish Excel. My local water is very soft (nearly 0 PPM GH and KH). Should I be adding Epsom salts in equal amounts as CSM+B? For example, if I add 1/32 teaspoon CSM+B for a 23 gallon tank daily (I dose daily), should I be adding 1/32 teaspoon Epsom Salt daily?
You mean regular flourish?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.