Active substrate end of life, time for a new tank and idea - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
have u considered a clado type algae to cover the HMF??
hard to kill and will absorb everything
plus wont get chocked out by debris like moss potentially can
Nope, never hear of it or tried it, but will give me something to good. lol.

-----

So far the shrimp are loving it, you can see some on the wall already at the back.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Well I am trying to see if I can wash the nitrates out of my Netlea with it in a bucket and my showerhead alternating between hot water to maybe release it and then cold water so it doesn't break down too much from the hot water and I'll see. Considering I was able to get it with from 40ppm to 2.5ppm with a 15 rinse under cold water, I'll see what happens.

I never had nitrate problems before with my Netlea. The only time I did different when I setup these tank as opposed to before, was used a UGF plate. Don't know, but we'll see how my rinsing experiment goes.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Well rinsing the soil is almost getting the nitrates to 0. Going to keep rinsing it and see what happens.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
mgood
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You guy's certainly know more about soil than I do, but I can offer that I've used similar setups and had great success. I used a foam backdrop in a 10G once (the backdrop was designed for reptiles). It had all sorts of little cutouts / nooks / crannies etc-- nice to grow moss & plants.

I just hollowed out a section in the bottom, added a waterfall pump and ran a return line at the top. Once established, it ran great since the filter area was huge for the tank size. Never had ammonia etc. problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (121/100%)

mgoodm, that sounds like a great display! Neat idea to put it in front of the filter area.

The reason shrimpers use the soil is not necessarily for looks, but because it drops the ph down to where the specific shrimp need it.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #36
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

So, just for kicks I did the math on this since I'm driven crazy by the weirdest things. LOL

If this is a 10g tank, the sponge you have roughly covers 120 inches.

If 4 large double sponge filters covered the back wall, it would cover 129 inches because of the cylindrical shape and top/bottom areas as well.

One thing for sure. Yours looks less obtrusive!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
So, just for kicks I did the math on this since I'm driven crazy by the weirdest things. LOL

If this is a 10g tank, the sponge you have roughly covers 120 inches.

If 4 large double sponge filters covered the back wall, it would cover 129 inches because of the cylindrical shape and top/bottom areas as well.

One thing for sure. Yours looks less obtrusive!
It'a 20gal and the sheets are about 16" x 16" so its 256 in^2, and about 1.5" thick so 384 cubic inches of space and only takes up 2" at the the back of tank. My second tank for I siliconed in the substrate divider last night, painted the bottom of the tank, have to hang the lights and flood the tank today. I'll get the foam on Wed, at Big Al's boxing day sale. Least save 10-20% of it and I'm sure I'll get a few more things.

This is more a test for me to find a decent system multiple tanks as I plan on building a nice rack within the next year or so, with all the tanks the same kind of setup. I know I can power the HMF with air as well, so air sponges, air driving that, trying to see if a full air-powered system would stand up, as many fish rooms are done this way. having 20 tanks, gets expensive in canisters, hobs, powerheads, etc. The best way to save cash is all driven and for ease of use. Should have pics of the second tank side by side this one today.

----

So the sosei seems to soften the pH of the water a small amount. I wasn't expecting huge jumps, but I am at about 6.7pH right now with a few does of the Sosei and RO water, no active susbstrate. I have 60+ shrimp in there, few berried, and this morning seen two nice clean, perfect molts laying there and the tank in a frenzy, so I will probably see another berry or two hopefully. So far, in general seems to be working out. 0 nitrates and everything else, gH 5-6, TDS 150, pH 6.7. The shrimp are very active in this new tank, I see them all the time and they seem to love the 256 sq inch sponge wall, I can usually 10 at a time on it.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps

Last edited by GeToChKn; 12-23-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #38
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (26/100%)

if you havent already, you should read this.

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #39
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Fantastic read!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #40
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

tons of info out there, since this type of filtration has been around for a long time.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post117047
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #41
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks. I'm going to post another thread, so I don't hijack this one.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #42
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the links bostoneric, I've read a ton of info on this before I decided to try it. In realty, fitration is filtration, no matter if it's a big sponge like thing, a sump, 9 canisters chained together, whatever as long as the BB have a place to grow. The advantage I see with these and shrimp tanks is these allow a huge sponge for shrimp to graze biofilm from, one of these favorite things to eat and should be their main source of food. Needs very little maintenance, etc. When looking to go with a 16-20 tank shrimp rack, I don't want 20 filters I have to clean weekly,

I've seen a lot of people too drill a bulkhead behind the sponge wall for water changes. Open the ball valve, drain the water out to the desired level, close the valve and add new water, all without ever risking sucking up any shrimp or fry because the bulkhead is behind the mat.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #43
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

totally agree for a shrimp tank they are amazing filters. shrimp make very little waste and the amount of grazing space for the shrimp is huge.

the only real downside of these is the look. I dont run one on my fissidens tank because its so beautiful to look at, but I do have a small shrimp breeding tank with a HMF powered by small return pump. basically its like those little prefilter sponges on and intake, but about 100Xs bigger and no need to clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Thanks for the links bostoneric, I've read a ton of info on this before I decided to try it. In realty, fitration is filtration, no matter if it's a big sponge like thing, a sump, 9 canisters chained together, whatever as long as the BB have a place to grow. The advantage I see with these and shrimp tanks is these allow a huge sponge for shrimp to graze biofilm from, one of these favorite things to eat and should be their main source of food. Needs very little maintenance, etc. When looking to go with a 16-20 tank shrimp rack, I don't want 20 filters I have to clean weekly,

I've seen a lot of people too drill a bulkhead behind the sponge wall for water changes. Open the ball valve, drain the water out to the desired level, close the valve and add new water, all without ever risking sucking up any shrimp or fry because the bulkhead is behind the mat.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
totally agree for a shrimp tank they are amazing filters. shrimp make very little waste and the amount of grazing space for the shrimp is huge.

the only real downside of these is the look. I dont run one on my fissidens tank because its so beautiful to look at, but I do have a small shrimp breeding tank with a HMF powered by small return pump. basically its like those little prefilter sponges on and intake, but about 100Xs bigger and no need to clean it.
I have my planted nano tank with WCM's, and neons, I have my big planted platy tank, so I don't need all my tanks to have lush green forests. Shrimp tanks are for shrimp and breeding, so whats suited to them, I don't about the look as much when I have the planted tanks I already want.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #45
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Cool thread to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
In realty, fitration is filtration, no matter if it's a big sponge like thing, a sump, 9 canisters chained together, whatever as long as the BB have a place to grow.
Very true. there are TB breeders that use only sponge filters as filtration.

the flourite is a non active substrate correct? meaning it won't dissolve or leach back out things?

could crushed lava rock (like GLA sells) be used a similar/cheaper substitute?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.