Active substrate end of life, time for a new tank and idea - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

It looks like you're already set, but for others in the future, an HMF mounted in the end of the tank like shown here will stay put on its own without extra supports glued in. If you want to use a corner rather than entire end then you do need the supports.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
It looks like you're already set, but for others in the future, an HMF mounted in the end of the tank like shown here will stay put on its own without extra supports glued in. If you want to use a corner rather than entire end then you do need the supports.
I was more concerned with making sure no gaps existed at all so no newborn shrimp could get back there and the supports seemed to give just that. Maybe on the next one I'll try it that way.

Added the flourite to the substrate section, seeded with old flourite, new flourite , Ebiken EI, Mosura Bioplus and some old sea mud powder underneath. No silicone smell at all, but I'll wait till tonight to flood it and give it 24hrs anyways.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
tunatime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

theirs another way to get around this,make a sump and make 1 compartment active substrate and the rest what every type of media you want to add. i have a 10g sump set up on my 20g shrimp tank and 1/4 of the sump is filled whit ada 5in deep then a big ass sponge then a crap load of filter floss and finally a hob whit a bag of purigen in it.
once the ada starts ruining out you get a new bag put it in a 5g bucket fill it up and let it set for a week then get the old ada out and add the new, no tank taredown required. i do find that the ada runs out a lot faster as there is more water flow over it, and the best part is during wc you add the water to the first put of the sump and by the time it hits the tank its already down to the right ph/gh
tunatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatime View Post
theirs another way to get around this,make a sump and make 1 compartment active substrate and the rest what every type of media you want to add. i have a 10g sump set up on my 20g shrimp tank and 1/4 of the sump is filled whit ada 5in deep then a big ass sponge then a crap load of filter floss and finally a hob whit a bag of purigen in it.
once the ada starts ruining out you get a new bag put it in a 5g bucket fill it up and let it set for a week then get the old ada out and add the new, no tank taredown required. i do find that the ada runs out a lot faster as there is more water flow over it, and the best part is during wc you add the water to the first put of the sump and by the time it hits the tank its already down to the right ph/gh
I was thinking sump system and may go that way for my rack, we'll see. I just didn't have the money to go buy a tank, return pump, all the plumbing, etc, right now to do a sump for 1 or 2 tanks. With a ~15 tank rack, I may go this way still. I rather have drilled tanks for sumps and if I got that way, I'll take the time and plan it all out fully.

Another reason for the whole teardown and restart is I go some sort of aquatic weed stuff that's growing my moss and it takes it over and it's impossible to get out once it starts. You pull a strand and the little seed things open and you have spores everywhere in the water. It was in both my CRS tanks, on the sponges, moss, everything. Luckily my PFR tank didn't get it's about half full of moss right now and needs a trimming anyways.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Flooded the tank, took a few sponge filters and squeezed them out right in front of the sponge to let it suck up all the goodies, added some new and used fluorite with Old Sea Mud powder, EI and Bioplus mixed with it to help get some good bacteria growing, seasons sponge filter with moss growing out of it, my mineral balls, some cholla wood from another tank, few pre-soaked IAL leaves, so lots of goods to season the tank. Added a few ramshorns and fed them already to get some ammonia going and get some snail sludge goodness over the glass. Took a couple seasoned plastic pot scrubbers from another filter and put them behind the sponge wall to help season it. pH is about 6.7 from my RO water, so not bad off the start.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Your dog makes mine look tiny, and mine is HUGE!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #22
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
Your dog makes mine look tiny, and mine is HUGE!
He's about 250lbs, 6'6" on his back legs. lol. He's just my little puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Would the shrimp climb right over the sponge behind the wall?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

He'll definitely get climbers.

But I get them in my canister filters that use pre-filter sponges ziptied to the intake pipe.

Should be easier to move them back into the tank with the HMF filtration method than it is to take a canister apart and such.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Would the shrimp climb right over the sponge behind the wall?
It's possible, but there is nothing back there to damage them. Most of the time though when I've had divided tanks, etc, the males only climbed over to find females in other sections that molted.

The water line is also about 2 inches out of the water and the sponge is fully dry at that area, so I don't think they will bother much climbing up a dry sponge. No water, no biofilm to eat, no females behind the sponge. I may find an odd one down there, it's possible. We'll see. It's a test and a temp setup for the next year until I move and get a new house and build a dream rack. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Hey, never know until you try right? The best ideas had to be implemented and shared or we all would still be trying to figure out how to keep cherry shrimp.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
He'll definitely get climbers.

But I get them in my canister filters that use pre-filter sponges ziptied to the intake pipe.

Should be easier to move them back into the tank with the HMF filtration method than it is to take a canister apart and such.
Ya I just pulled a golden out of my HOB filter and the intake is hooked up to a UGF plate under 5" of soil, the outflow is about 2" above the water line and it was at the bottom of the filter under 2 sponges that are stuffed tight in there, yet somehow jumped the 2" up out of the water, climbed against the flow of the water, squeeze through the different sponge layer and was chilling eating brown goop in the bottom of the filter. lol.

I've also seen a shrimp climb up under the inside of a sponge filter and was living in there for a while, not able to get back out the grates, just rolling around in the bubbles for who knows how long.

When I used canisters, I found them in there.

People have found shrimp on the floor.

I'm sure using a sump type system, they would get in there.

They will get where they want to get if they are determined enough. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

what exactly do you mean when you say it started to release things? like the stuff in the substrate started to float out of it?
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepacific View Post
what exactly do you mean when you say it started to release things? like the stuff in the substrate started to float out of it?
No, just active soils have a high CEC. They absorb stuff from the water. In my case apparently nitrates and phosphates. In a planted tank, they would probably be used up by the root system, so win-win. In my tank though, it wasn't plant, all shrimp, so at some point the soil gets full and starts to release. I'm not sure about the phosphates but the nitrates are for sure. I took 4 plastic container and put in plain RO water with minerals in 1, then 1 soil directly from the tank, one soil that I tried rinsing off for about 15 mins as suggested by 1 person. The last cup I had soil, that I had baked in the over at 200F for 20mins at the suggestion of someone else, a method they heard of from someone but never tried. I let them all sit for 24 hrs, shaking the containers a bit to get the water moving through the substrate.

Baseline Source Water - 0ppm
Soil Directly from the tank - 50ppm
Rinsed off soil - 2.5ppm
Baked soil - 20-50ppm and the TDS was 50 above the others in the container.

So through testing, my soil is loaded with nitrates and rinsing it off or baking and drying it shows it wasn't the water from the soil, it wasn't debris on top of the soil, it was the soil itself.

(baking the soil also stinks something fierce. lol)

--------------

I transferred all my shrimp over tonight, 60 in total (including 3 berried) plus the few that were already in there. Acclimated each since they came from a 5pH water to 6.7pH, where the tank is at now after adding a few doses of the Ebiken Sosei. TDS is 140 with Bee gH+, gH is 5 and happily nitrates are 0. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

have u considered a clado type algae to cover the HMF??
hard to kill and will absorb everything
plus wont get chocked out by debris like moss potentially can