pond snails and bladder snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

pond snails and bladder snails

so i thought i had pond snails but some people say they might be bladder snails. is there a difference because i can't really tell. i tried images and they both look really similar to me. also what do you do with yours as far as i know no one really wants these things
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I couldn't tell the difference on mine until the bladder snails started getting quite large. Don't really care one way or the other as I like 'em both.

You'll find mixed reactions to snails--some hate them, some love them. I fall in the love category and purposefully introduce them into all my tanks. The few times I've had a population explosion, I just cut back on feeding and hand picked snails to bring the numbers back down--and I'll frequently pull juvies to smash and feed to my german blue ram, shrimp and tetras.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

they are different. the bladder snails are genus Physa, and remain small (3/4" or more max.)
pond snails are usually another name for the physa snails, but real pond snails grow large and are usually the following genuses:
Lymnaea
Galba
Stagnicola
Radix
and there are others. Radix look close to bladder snails, but still not the same. bladders have that odd net-like pattern underneath their clear shells. some dont show this pattern but most do. I have seen solid white and solid black bladder snails shells - just variants of the physa genus.

I have tons of physa. sometimes i throw them out, other times people might want them to feed their puffers and whatnot, people also like them for cleanup crew. their population definitely needs to be culled though. they get out of control.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

One one the shell points off to the left, and the other points off to the right. I forget witch one goes witch way. If I remember right, one also stays smaller than the other.