Revamping an 'inherited' second hand tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
MountainPool
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Revamping an 'inherited' second hand tank

I saw an add for a tank on the local community board and the guy only wanted 50 for it so I snapped it right up.

It was a 'traditional' sunken battleship and flint chips set up with a picture backing. Needless to say, I didn't put that back in.

Inherited equipment:
150w fluval tronic
Internal filter 'fluval 3plus' (cycled)
2xT8 tubes, one pink, one warm daylight, (not planted tank bulbs).
Fluval 30 gal rimless tank + hood
Fluval stand
3x resin tank ornaments and 3" flint chip substrate

Inhabitants:
1 black skirt tetra
1 male blue Moscow(?) Guppy

I had hard scape planned for a different glass box, but having to make a stand was choking the set up to death so I adjusted my arraingement for the new dimensions and got my hard scape in while the fish were still in their transport bags and filled it back up with warmed, treated tap water.
I didn't see a minicycle, even with all the gravel gone, presumably because the bioload was so low.
I went ahead and brought over my grow-on planter (bottom left in the photos full of creeping jenny and a couple of bacopa stems) and bought some plants:
Vallisineria torta
Anubias barteri,
and a standard Java fern
Along with some female yellow cobra guppies to keep the male from pining away. Unfortunately, I can't do the same for the black skirt, so I'm looking to rehome it.

Setup day:

Plants (still in their pots):

FTS:

BUT! My LFS hasn't had any gravel or sands in stock for a few weeks, so I'm ordering it from them specially. But the tank couldn't wait to be reestablished, leaving me with a barebottomed tank with rocks in and a small population of fish in varying stages of pregnancy.
So, opinions on how best to add aquatic compost (westlands) and a gravel cap to a running tank would be appreciated. I'm thinking I'll condition the compost in buckets to leach the initial ammonia spike and then add it to the tank and cap.

Plants to buy:
Hydrocotyle jap.
Christmas moss
Java fern trident
+anything that catches my eye.

Scape-wise, I'm going for an island type, with the rocks interspersed with moss pebbles and Java ferns with a large bush behind. Then, to the left, an open, sandy area to be populated by Corys.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Black skirt tetra (and ALL tetra) need to be kept in schools of a minimum of 6 (more is better though) of their own kind. This species of tetra is know to fin nip when not kept in proper numbers.. those guppies won't have nice tails for long! Either get rid of the tetra or get a proper school size.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
MountainPool
Algae Grower

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't do the same for the black skirt, so I'm looking to rehome it.
Yup.

Hopefully Maidenhead aquatics will take it, for store credit. Hell I would give it to them for free, TBH. There's been no fin nipping yet, but... I dont trust it, its head looks like a piranah next to a female guppy.

I've made a sketch of a potential planting layout, what do y'all think?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
GreenNinja
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

In the first post, it looks like the OP said the tetra was being re-homed. Good to know about the fin nipping!

Could you use some sort large tubing to place the substrate? Maybe like a reverse siphon. You cold get a length of large diameter tubing from the hardware store and a funnel and pour the substrate in without a ton of disturbance. Otherwise, you might have to take the inhabitants out, partially drain the tank, and do it that way. Those are my best ideas. Maybe someone here has more experience. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPool View Post
Yup.

Hopefully Maidenhead aquatics will take it, for store credit. Hell I would give it to them for free, TBH. There's been no fin nipping yet, but... I dont trust it, its head looks like a piranah next to a female guppy.

I've made a sketch of a potential planting layout, what do y'all think?
Opps sorry i must have skipped a line when reading ^^''

Love the concept idea. I like scpes with a good side for hiding (hardscape and plants) and an open area for larger fish and general 'break out into a full swim' room. Have something like that with my 55g though using different hardscape and plants from you.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
MountainPool
Algae Grower

Finally got some substrate! The sand is fairly coarse, 0.5-1mm quartz in a natural mix of brown, pale orange/pink and bright white, accompanied by gravel of the same mineral mix in 4-5mm, and then a white/beige/grey/black mix of marina gravel to complement the stones. The slope is fairly shallow, front to back, but there's so much hardscape that the rocks make up the mountainous ness all by themselves. Pardon the tablet photo.

Plant list: from left to right,
Hydrocotyle so. Japan
Anubias Nana
Creeping jenny 'golden'
Anubias Nana 'Petit'
Java fern
Java fern 'trident'
Bolbitis heudelotii
Weeping moss
Christmas moss

During the rescape, with all my guppies in a trug, I discovered six fry hiding in the crevices of the hardscape. Fortunately I had the nursery tank set up and cycled from keeping the bastard black skirt tetra away from the others. I lost the Moscow blue to dropsy, and the tetra is now in my LFS.
They gave me one hell of a discount on my plants for him! A portion each of Christmas and anchor mosses, the trident and the bolbitus for just 7!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.