The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

93K views 511 replies 90 participants last post by  UDGags 
#1 · (Edited)
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

See less See more
#3 ·
It's not work if you enjoy it :)

I got a good portion of the plumbing dry fitted and some cemented together today. Waiting to finish the cementing of the PVC until my wife is out of the house because of the fumes.

I've been playing with the aquascape and background/above tank ideas. I really don't like the look behind the tank so I want to spruce it up or cover it up some way. Here are some better picks of the wood and stone. The final picture(s) is of me playing with the aquascape.

#4 ·
I'll be following this thread. Good luck with it; should be fun to watch the fish school in and out of the plants and wood. I think your fish choices are great.

I'm also planning a 125 but will likely go with a canister instead of a sump... I simply don't have enough time to spend fine tuning a sump. But, there are lots of great threads on this forum regarding sumps. I'm curious why you are using the Hydors instead of in sump heaters?

You seem to have a lot of light there. I'm considering using 2 rows of T5HOs suspended over the tank, but I may add one additional row and consider a midday burst.

Good luck with that Bacopa. I never could get it to do anything.

Keep posting pics, and happy holidays.

#5 ·
I actually have two canister filters that I originally bought but decided to go with the sump instead. I think both methods work fine but personally I like the sump method better.

I had the two hydor's is the only reason I'm using them. I plan on picking up a heater(eheim-Jager) for sump down the road but didn't want to spend the money right now. I live in Ohio so I definitely need back-up heaters. The hydor's uses 5/8" connections (same as UV unit) so removing them from the plumbing scheme won't be an issue.

Yes, the lights are overkill but it's the dimmable unit so I can run them around 30-40% power and have really good spread over the entire tank. The other reason is if I ever decide to go with a reef the lights will work for that application as well.

#6 ·
Any updates? This looks like an exciting build, and I can't wait to see what you do! (I'm a HUGE fan of DIY backgrounds, too) The wood and stone you have is fantastic, it must be terrible to have so much choice - lol.

#7 · (Edited)
I haven't done too much with the holidays and my work schedule. The wife and I were traveling to see our families for a week or so. I have the next 3 days off so plan on finishing off the plumbing.

• Aquasoil has a 1/7/13 delivery date
  • My second light is still on back order but the initial date they gave me was the week of the 7th.
  • I believe I have everything else except for the plants and fish. Plants I'll order once I have all the equipment setup and running. Fish will be a few months down the road.
So I probably won't post much until the weekend of the 12th I'm guessing. If I have time I'll show some pictures on my plumbing....not very exciting :)

Oh yeah, I'm probably scraping the DIY background or at least holding off. I started it and don't really like how it's turning out. It's in my garage and I'll probably mess with it over the next few months. I did spray paint the back of the tank a flat black to get better contrast and hide the ugly wall behind it.

#8 ·
I spent today finishing up cementing all the pipes and then I took them to work and used the paint booth to spray painted them all black.

I also worked out my EI dosing scheme this evening if anyone is interested.

I'll probably put together all the plumbing tomorrow (it's drying overnight at work). I did mount some of the electrical equipment yesterday and worked on setting up the wireless network with the controller.

If anyone has any comments/questions/suggestions I'm all ears. :)

#9 ·
The 10 bags of Aquasoil got delivered about an hour ago :)

I finished all the plumbing this past weekend but still have a little bit to do in terms of electrical. I was having issues setting up the router connected to the controller last night. I can manually control everything but it's not quite automated yet...hopefully tonight.

#10 ·
Filter Setup

Leak Check

Everything Works

The tank is currently draining so after dinner I'll be adding AS and starting to aquascape.

Brief look under the tank at my dry ferts

Screenshot of the Apex Control Panel on Computer

I also have the Android app hooked up so I can control everything from my phone :icon_lol:

So here is my current plan/to-do list....

• Add aquasoil tonight (1/12/13) and start aquascaping.
  • My second light that was on back order shipped Friday. I should get it Monday according to the tracking number. I'll hang the lights this upcoming week when I have time.
  • Install hooks inside cabinet to hang some tools.
  • Clean up room
  • Fill CO2 tanks
  • Buy Plants

I'm not entirely happy how the electrical/controls/back wall looks in terms of aesthetics so I know I'll do something with it sooner rather than later.

Once I start aquascaping tonight I'll post pictures for feedback.

If you have comments/suggestions/etc. I'd love to hear them.

#12 ·
I almost passed out when I saw all that good stuff on your floor! lol This tank will be great!

#14 ·
lol. I think you should decide to send your surplus to Virginia. It's my moral duty to lighten your burden :wink:

#29 ·
Quick update for tonight....

• First off, I decided to get rid of the piece of wood on the left. I am purchasing one that better matches the layout from Tom B. So I probably won't have an update for a week or two.
  • Got the lights hung up
  • I ordered some more toys today...Apogee PAR meter, LaMott's AQ-2 test kit, TDS handheld meter, a couple back-up aqualifts, aqualifter holder and a replacement pH probe. I also grabbed some leftover SS mesh from work to cover the CPR202 inlet.

#33 ·
Yeah, I plan on doing that. I bought another piece of driftwood that better fits the layout so waiting for that to be delivered before messing with the AS more. I was more trying to get the wood figured out in the pictures above. I never really liked the one on the left but kept trying to make it work. The new wood piece was shipped earlier this week so I'm hoping I get it tomorrow but if not probably Monday.

I have plants being shipped Saturday and Monday so I should get them early/mid next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.