Iwagumi + CRS = fail???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Cento
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Iwagumi + CRS = fail???

So, The overwhelming majority of advice has been that large frequent water changes can prove detrimental (molting issues, mystery deaths, etc) to high end shrimp such as CRS.

But Japanese style planted tanks, and the dosing (E.I methods, etc) these high light/ cO2 injected tanks demand, means large amounts of micro and macro nutrients build up in the water column. This apparently means large frequent water changes are a must.

So, can a colony of CRS and a densely planted tank of demanding plants co-exists?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Short answer, yes. It is a pain in the butt though. You're better off with a tank for plants and another tank just for crs. Everything that high demand plants like, crs hate.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Short answer is no, you will no have a thriving colony a d you will have issues with them.....

Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

In general, no.

If you go for a slower growing, bit less depending plants and cut down the EI dosing amounts, so thus, less water changes and get the CO2 and light in balance with the ferts dosing, it can be done. They won't be thriving, but the less water changes and CO2, obviously keeping surface agitation up to keep O2 levels high as well can also increase their chances of being happy.

Lots of people adjust EI to suit their plants, CO2, light, water change schedule and amount, etc. It's not a full hard in set rule. People can grow full carpets with root tabs and no CO2 and the proper lights, so you don't have to go full high tech and still have a nice tank.

If you do want to go full out though, and go for super fast, lush growth, then I'd stay away from adding CRS. If you want to wait longer, some people have made mid tech planted tanks and CRS work.

Also helps to be good at breeding CRS though in the first place and know how to breed them and keep them to try this in the first place.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The japanese style actually isn't EI...it's a low water nutrient, medium light, high co2 technique they use. The ADA regimine actually uses very little liquid ferts...the CO2 part will get in the way of what you're trying to do though.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
The japanese style actually isn't EI...it's a low water nutrient, medium light, high co2 technique they use. The ADA regimine actually uses very little liquid ferts...the CO2 part will get in the way of what you're trying to do though.
If you balance the CO2 with O2 right it won't be so bad. Lots of breeders use CO2 in their tanks for the pH lowering ability but keep very high O2 to keep the CO2 gassing of the shrimp down.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Cento
Planted Member

Okay... Mostly on the "no" side then.. Which is disappointing. But it doesn't seem all that bad for me because I don't really use e.i and I use liquid ferts mostly. Which means I'm always chasing algae, but that's another story.

So the next question then is, with the conditions I have (pH lowering substrate, two 18w T5HO, high tech co2, liquid ferts, 2213 canister with 2L prefilter, etc), can I keep other shrimp? Tigers? Blue bolts? Yellow? Etc....

Thanks for e replies BTW...

Cento

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

skip crs keeping in that tank for now and grow the iwagumi immersed, then you can add whatever shrimp you want to the tank minus all the concerns with algae, plants being upgrooted and all those initial plans that are destined to fail. when you see crs in an iwagumi, they were not all not in the tank from the getgo. If you never started a iwagumi styled tank, then keeping shrimps should not be a priority. you'll have a ton of other things to be concerned with... just saying...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Cento
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
skip crs keeping in that tank for now and grow the iwagumi immersed, then you can add whatever shrimp you want to the tank minus all the concerns with algae, plants being upgrooted and all those initial plans that are destined to fail. when you see crs in an iwagumi, they were not all not in the tank from the getgo. If you never started a iwagumi styled tank, then keeping shrimps should not be a priority. you'll have a ton of other things to be concerned with... just saying...
Oh ye of little faith...

I've had a planted tanks before, so that's not too much of a concern for me. And I've kept shrimp before, just nothing beyond fire reds and Yamato shrimp...

My concern is will the mid/high-tech planted tank regimen clash with high-end shrimp care regimen?..

Cento

Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

This is basically what I am doing right now! I dsm'd my tank first, I let the hc fully grow in for 2 months, then spent the last 2 months trying to get my light, co2 and ferts down. I have been slowly lowering them and watching the tonina for any signs of it not being happy.

That is a full carpet if hc with about 25 tonina lotus blossoms and a Erios Japan flowering at the moment. I am down to 20% on my light and all seem to be growing still. Growth has slowed way down for sure now but I am ok with it since I grew it all in before hand.

I just got oebt for it yesterday. Time will tell if I succeed or fail, will most likely fail, but I got them for cheap, and I'm just trying it out.
Sorry for the crummy pic but the macro lens won't be here till the end of the month.

I can nor cannot say wether it is doable but I am willing to try I think you will have a much better chance of success if things are grown in first and then adjust your parameters to the shrimp. Only time will tell I guess hahaha, wish me luck! . As you can see the tonina is still looking good. There is bare substrate there as somehow riccia end up there in dsm and I just finally decided to get rid of it.

Last edited by Forumsnow; 01-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Wrong pic
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
Oh ye of little faith...

I've had a planted tanks before, so that's not too much of a concern for me. And I've kept shrimp before, just nothing beyond fire reds and Yamato shrimp...

My concern is will the mid/high-tech planted tank regimen clash with high-end shrimp care regimen?..

its not so much a matter of faith than experience. to answer your first question, co-existence is 'yes'. however by posing the question, it likely wont be an easy task for you as its a challenge for most of us today.

If you havent grown a carpet, kept a pressurized co2 high tech setup nor kept crystal shrimp, these are all advanced projects to take on. Simply keeping a planted tank and neocaridinas doesnt necessarily qualify one for all related types of projects while disregarding how successful each venture has been.

If your prerogative to do all at once, more power to ya. The advice is to tackle each separately. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Cento
Planted Member

So, I guess I didn't clearly state it, but setup is 4 months old, completely grown in, and doing well. Also, I've done high-tech before (2 years worth), minus the enriched substrate.

I've just recently added the CRS, and if CRS aren't doable, it's not the end of the world for me; I'll try another species of shrimp. It's just that now I have the pH lower substrate Netlea Lambo, and I know i would not be able to do higher pH shrimp, but would like to know what's suitable.

Cento

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

This link might be of interest to you. You might have to join scape to see it.

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...n-natural-tank

He's using aquasoil, no co2 and no ferts. 50% wc each week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teaser_zps58bc3991.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	63897  

Click image for larger version

Name:	usamevy8.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	63905  

xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Well if it is already grown in why not just lower the light co2 and ferts to a shrimp safe level? Does not seem to be advised to do them both but if you already have the crs why not give it a try?
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Cento
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
This link might be of interest to you. You might have to join scape to see it.

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...n-natural-tank

He's using aquasoil, no co2 and no ferts. 50% wc each week.
I just took a look...l love that setup! (P.S - he said 50% wc every OTHER week)

So this setup really goes back to the core concern of my question - are frequent large water changes REALLY that detrimental to CRS?

I understand in my case, it would mean more drastic fluctuations (tap of 7.2 pH, substrate and co2 lowers it to 6.3), but this means it IS possible, no?

I guess as Forumsnow stated, it's just a matter of trying it out now.

But I'm glad I asked, because xmas_one, that link reassured me....

Cento

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.